The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Keeping good teachers in the classroom > Comments

Keeping good teachers in the classroom : Comments

By Geoff Newcombe, published 21/7/2006

Better pay for better quality teaching benefits teachers, parents and students.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
• Glen Writer ..."Passive acceptance of the teacher's wisdom is easy to most boys and girls. It involves no effort of independent thought, and seems rational because the teacher knows more than his pupils; it is moreover the way to win the favour of the teacher unless he is a very exceptional man. Yet the habit of passive acceptance is a disastrous one in later life. It causes man to seek and to accept a leader, and to accept as a leader whoever is established in that position"... Courtesy of aristocratic echelon masters ingenuity knack, who throughout the millenniums always placed their bets each way, to score an ample of a steadfast incubated rulers on the global arena.

Representing an exclusive tyrant entity breed of the limitless significance via apartheid, we had to have fait-accompli elimination regimes. Starting right from a kindergarten via compulsory schooling and cultivated universities buffer, which to yield an ample of disposable puppets. Accompanied over the years with connived referees issued clandestine dossiers as norm. No wonder the imbeciles lot to be nurtured with a carte blanche, whilst incorruptible souls of the role-model citizens (as our mavrick Mark Lathan) to endure devious wrath. Yet many of the ill-informed minds failed even to realise what hit them indeed.

Without expecting in the wildest dream to face a nightmare of an insidious act to be unleashed on us. As our youngsters intellect being methodically moulded into sly set profile to suit application. Courtesy of the compulsory schooling criteria, that making sure to prevent juveniles mind from creative roaming and getting innate ideas on his or her own. Instead being fed with lots of trash, until every applicable brain-cell was certainly occupied. No wonder for earlier burned-out saturation effect, intended to debilitate into obese couch potatoes any non-kosher outcast-minds, beyond the targeted genome objective by coalition of the willing connivers.
Posted by Leo Braun, Wednesday, 26 July 2006 3:28:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Leo,
Yeah right.
Posted by GlenWriter, Wednesday, 26 July 2006 4:26:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Statistically as a predictor or school success is parents status far outweighs perceived teacher quality, school qaulity or almost anything else except the mothers education level. Type of school makes very little difference. There is some evidence that good teachers are those who can recruit good students or good timetables. Incidently when more kids go to private schools does the over all tested level of achievement not rise?

Though I would like to think that we could have some sort of value added formula for teachers schools etc experience where it has been tried does not engender confidence. Very good research indicates the in general school success can be predicted form observing parent child interaction before 3 years old. I would have thought that a much more fertile ground of action than this constant teacher centric crap

Choice sounds good, unfortunately choice studies show people do not choose rationally. Very strongly influenced by perceived peer preferences. I like to use the Coke Pepsi debate as a metaphor. Just search coke pepsi and MRI on google and some interesting stuff comes up. Whatever ever the taste preference, people prefer the cola with perceived higher status. There are many other on music choice etc.

Such research as we have on parental choice of school indicate that the difference between public school parents and private school parents is not qualities of the education but the weight given what can be described crudely as "old school tie" effects.
Posted by Richard, Friday, 28 July 2006 12:50:12 PM
Faustino, sorry for the late reply- totally forgot about it. You can stop screaming- I don’t like bureaucrats either ;)
I was thinking more about some type of hands-on involved inspectorate; someone who can be a regular visitor at a number of schools in the area, who inspects and helps solve practical problems, someone who does answer to the parliament. Oh, I suppose s/he actually does not *necessarily* have to work for a government department; it can be an independent department.

I’d like to see the government providing free education for everyone and be adequately involved in it though - perhaps it should be a requirement for PM’s and all government bureaucrats to use government provided facilities and services, like sending their own children to public schools, go to public hospitals, travel by public transport etc. Pulling that plush chair from under their bottoms should improve things faster, LOL.
I think that public education should be of such high standard that there wouldn’t be a need for private schools.

I'm skeptical that ‘rewarding’ teachers as such would permanently solve anything. I would welcome basic teacher training improvements, updating ongoing training programs, easily available help and guidance for teaching staff should be freely provided and of high standard and ongoing and above all compulsary.

A fair teacher’s award should be: you teach properly and you will keep your job.

The Larimoo, I just looked at some definitions and found: Deprived of basic social rights and security through poverty, discrimination, or other unfavorable circumstances.
www.uwstout.edu/ugbulletin/ugb_glossary.html
Just google for it and you’ll find longer definitions as well- my space here is limited.

Richard, I agree with you that child-parent interaction at a young age is very important for future school success.
But I also believe that, when they get a bit older, say high school age, peers (and mob mentality) can become a big influence.
Good pupils can sometimes become demotivated/uninterested in their education, or become underachievers.
Posted by Celivia, Friday, 28 July 2006 2:51:59 PM
Thank you Celivia - will look up definitions as suggested
Posted by the lairymoo, Friday, 28 July 2006 6:14:39 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen and Arjay

Our very own armchair commentators on all topics.

Thank you for your 'informed' analysis of the teaching profession.

Of course Hasbeen, given your boyscout experience (or was that cadets), gives you an 'informed' position to claim an expert opinion.

And Arjay, your suggestion that other professionals be allowed to teach. Didn't you know they've already tried that. It must have been about 10 years ago now they introduced a six week accelerated teaching course for other professionals to enter the classroom. It was a failure. The graduates cited woeful underpreparation for the classroom. So they extended the accelerated program to 18 months.

It's already in place for other professionals to become teachers. Teaching for most of us is our second profession.
Posted by Liz, Saturday, 29 July 2006 1:30:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy