The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > All the options under the sun > Comments

All the options under the sun : Comments

By John Mathews, published 14/7/2006

Biofuels is a solution to greenhouse gas emissions and is more appealing than Howard’s nuclear option.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. All
One significant issue with making biodiesel from waste cooking oil is simply that it does not scale. There is only so much waste oil around.

My attention was drawn to this report into producing biodiesel from algae. It dates from 1998.

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/biomass/pdfs/biodiesel_from_algae.pdf

It includes the comment "Even with aggressive assumptions about biological productivity, we project costs for biodiesel which are two times higher than current petroleum diesel fuel costs."

However, as I said, that was 1998. Crude oil prices have risen considerably, so this technology must be that much closer to being economic. At the very least, it must represent a cap on how high diesel prices can go.

My present thinking is that my next car will be diesel powered.

Sylvia.
Posted by Sylvia Else, Tuesday, 1 August 2006 3:16:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
KAEP

While I wait for your papers to support your claims can you answer me a simple question?

How many children (make it people under 20 to keep it simple for you) living in Sydney are diagnosed with leukaemia each year and what percentage increase do you accept for cases increasing?

A hint "In the United States, there were 1,490 children under the age of 20 diagnosed with leukemia from 1998-2002" (SEER Figures)
Posted by Steve Madden, Tuesday, 1 August 2006 3:38:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kaep

Here is a url for diy biodiesel production.
[http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html]
The site also provides useful information on diesel engines and fuels, and provides technical arguments as to why diesels have the potential to be far less polluting. Your condemnation of home brewers, who would account for a small fraction of a percent of diesel fuel burnt, is out of proportion. It reminds me of the drongoes who regularly pop up to blame the Greenies for every policy failure. The unfortunate truth is that diesel engines are so robust that they can burn fuels of poor quality and still outlast petrol engines by a large margin. Because of this very poor refinement standards have been permitted to the detriment of public health.
Posted by Fester, Tuesday, 1 August 2006 7:10:31 PM
KAEP, thanks, I had a look at that Fischer-Tropsch information. Interesting to read something about this process, and there is plenty of coal available- but it’s not an appealing alternative solution to me because this product does nothing for a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions- unless I’ve missed something?

Fester, the link didn’t work, so I went to http://journeytoforever.org/edu.html#biofuel first and went to the ‘make’ link from that home page. Good site! It’s great that schools participate at this level. It seems to a be simple and safe enough process to enable school kids to have a hands-on experience at making biodiesel.
Posted by Celivia, Tuesday, 1 August 2006 10:52:59 PM
And here is a site for another biofuel production method that claims to be able to convert any carbon based feedstock to oil, gas, water and a mineral extract:

http://forums.biodieselnow.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=829
Posted by Fester, Sunday, 6 August 2006 7:28:48 AM
HOME BREW Biodiesel which is being subsidised by Federal and state governments is starting to cause more and more widespread insidious diseases in children, the elderly and the infirmed. It will also deteriorate the health of normal adults over time.

Sydney hospital denies reports of a deadly superbug, after five babies were found with lesions:.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/babies-dont-have-superbug-hospital/2006/09/12/1157826913689.html

Sydney's-polluted-air-killing-hundreds:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Sydneys-polluted-air-killing-hundreds/2006/09/11/1157826879240.html

Meanwhile state and federal agencies have obviously been told to 'put a lid' on the situation. However thaey can't do this forever and their pandora's box of worms is about to bust out all over cities like Sydney.You can easily smell the slight trace of fish and chip shop residue all over Sydney now, especially around 5am and 11pm at night.

My suggestion when the situation goes hot? Talk to Prof. Doherty. This is what he got the Nobel prize for. The relationship between deep lung penetration with foreign substances including fine oily mists from biodiesel that now pervades sydney's air, attach to red blood cells causing poly discrasias and supporting every airborne disease from Menigococcol to Legionaires. Some of those blood discrsias will inevitably mutate into Leukaemia if this nonsense is not dealt with promptly.

Politicians kids are every bit at risk as any other children.
Posted by KAEP, Tuesday, 12 September 2006 1:51:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy