The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Let's watch our judgmental language > Comments

Let's watch our judgmental language : Comments

By Richard Prendergast, published 13/7/2006

Official statements calling gays and lesbians ‘disordered’ and ‘violent’ don't make them feel welcome and respected by the church.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 40
  10. 41
  11. 42
  12. All
"I don't have a problem with anyone being religous coach... no person should be discriminated against on the basis of their sexual preference, race etc etc. I will not subscribe to it."

If this were so Carl,I would expect such a vehement criticism of The alchemist's blatant Christophobia... but alas, Christians belong to an exempt sub-group of our society, open to any unfounded and scathing criticism. Whoops, we're exempt from playing the victim card as well... My apologies!
Posted by MaNiK_JoSiAh, Thursday, 13 July 2006 4:11:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am a Christian. I take seriously the words of Scripture, particularly when they make me feel uncomfortable.
In the episode of the parable of the Pharisee and the tax gatherer, the gospel writer comments

"He told this parable to those who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and despised others."

My careful reading of Scripture leads me to be no longer so confident that I know everything that God thinks about sexuality. Is it not just possible that something fresh is breaking forth from God's Word and that an inclusive attitude to those whose sexuality is different from ours may be a Christlike response.

Ledingham
Posted by ledingham, Thursday, 13 July 2006 4:36:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Coach
Quote "Jesus loves you and died for your sins and is asking you to repent and sin no more… so don't insult him please!"

For once we are in total agreement coach. I call upon you...give up your worship of ego, give up your self righteousness & beg God's forgiveness.

There does it feel good when people talk AT you the way you talk AT others others rather than to them? Did that feel loving coach?

Something to think on...The bible declares that God is love. If that's so then EVERY instance of love is an instance of God in the world. That includes the love of lesbian mothers for their child. Just something for you to dismiss without thinking about :)
Posted by Bosk, Thursday, 13 July 2006 4:55:24 PM
I think wildcat needs to see a psychiatrist......such hate in one person! And such a distortion of history! Seems like his/her life is controlled by negativity. He/she pleads that it's tiome to end the hatred of people....yet his/her hatred of Catholics is overwhelming. And saintfletcher.....what a vivid imagination. What movies has he/she been watching.
Posted by Francis, Thursday, 13 July 2006 4:55:40 PM
No member of Western society is forced to be a member of a particular church (after all, as many would remind us, we live in a secular society). Therefore, why should the church be forced to accept homosexuality? I am not arguing a question of right or wrong, I am arguing that a voluntary organisation should have the right to exclude or include members on any basis they see fit.

The same people who have been vigorously defending choice in other posts, are now attacking an institution because it has chosen to exclude certain groups from membership. Sounds like hypocrisy to me.
Posted by Gekko, Thursday, 13 July 2006 5:31:36 PM
So what position are you adopting, Manik? Just because you personally are not throwing the faggots on the pyre, doesn’t mean that you are not complicit in the burning.

Where it exists, the “violence” that Prendergast writes about comes not from the parents, but from those who treat kids differently because their parents are the same sex. How do you expect a child to feel when people like you refer to the parents’ relationship as a sin? How do you know what goes on between them? How are you qualified to judge them? How do you dare to make a child suffer because of your judgements (not your god's - your judgements)?

Doubtless you think that you are being nice (respecting their dignity and all that), but at the point where you say it's OK to condemn this family's love for each other, you become one of the agents of misery and persecution. Are you sure it's your god telling you to do that, or just your inner inquisitor?

Prendergast looked at this family and saw love, caring and shared spirituality. When you look at them and see abomination, you share the responsibility if your judging takes some of the joy out of that child’s life.
Posted by w, Thursday, 13 July 2006 6:12:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 40
  10. 41
  11. 42
  12. All