The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Censoring debate > Comments

Censoring debate : Comments

By Gemma Connell, published 7/7/2006

It's the cause, not the consequence, of the recent alleged sexual harassment on 'Big Brother' that matters.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. All
RObert, Scout, others or anyone else who cares to know where I come from with my oftentimes disturbing views. It's very simple. I'm naughty.

Despite what often appears as being "angry", please let me assure you that it's all a facade. Mostly, I sit at the keyboard with a big grin from ear to ear, chuckling. I like stirring things up. I like making people taste their own medicine. I'm innately interested in justice and fair play, but have observed that whilst one half of the world plays fairly and by the rules, the other half do not - men/women, right/left, religious/non religious, etc.

My tactics are also simple - role reverse. Put the same unfair argument back the other way.

I use the same methods as the unfair, the unjust and the inconsiderate. Naturally, I seem rude, arrogant and angry. I'm simply creating a reflection for others to see themselves. But hey, that's my little secret. I just have fun stirring the pot of those whose pots need stirring, and in the same manner as they stir other's pots. Hence, Scout's correctly observed irony about "Neanderthal". In fact that entire post was irony if one cares to read it carefully. It was exactly what it accused others of.

In real life I am a very different person of course. I write from my brain, not my heart. My expressions are not necessarily my own personal beliefs. I like to counter mainstream assumptions like this article by Gemma Connell and challenge similar political rhetoric - which of course tries to "Censor Debate" by telling you what you should think instead of inviting you to think about it.

Anyway, I don't care what anyone thinks about me or my methods, I don't apologise for them, but I do know that they do work and since I began four years ago, they have been not insignificant in influencing directions, both locally and overseas in a small way.
Posted by Maximus, Tuesday, 18 July 2006 2:41:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Maximus

I am totally gobsmacked. You have reeled me in. I am just a floppin' an' a gaspin'.

And I am very impressed. Oops, paranoid thought maybe this last post is the ironic one.

I just wish you'd go after the really obnoxious characters - see I already cop a lot of flack from the likes of redneck, seeker, coach and there aren't very many female posters as it is - due to the level of sexism. Very hard to make a point while fending off personal attacks.

Will be very interested in your posts in future.
Posted by Scout, Wednesday, 19 July 2006 9:18:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Maximus, thanks for the look into your world - like Scout I have to wonder which is the real you but there is fun in that. Sometimes I sit with a rather large grin on my face as I post a response to a particularly silly piece of illogic (Philo's sperm wasting comment being a recent classic).

You do often sound like a former poster who I think was deadly serious in his posts. My impression was that the extremity of his posts tended to bog down discussions where we might otherwise have had a better chance to explain our own viewpoints and to understand the viewpoints of others. When an entire group is condemed then it is hard to have worthwhile dialog with members of that group.

Anyway I'll try and keep the idea in mind in the future that you are probably doing some fishing but I'm fairly certain I'll take the bait from time to time.

Cheers
R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Wednesday, 19 July 2006 7:13:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy