The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Your child next? > Comments

Your child next? : Comments

By Barbara Biggs, published 10/7/2006

Child sex offences, largely, are preventable crimes waiting to happen.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Oh no, I think some of you are confusing paedophilia with child molestation again

"2.2 To be a paedophile is not, as such, a crime. [note #11] There is, therefore, no common law or statutory definition in Australia of the word, or of the related word "paedophilia". http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/committee/acc_ctte/completed_inquiries/pre1996/ncapedo/report/c02.htm

And did you all notice how prominently the internet featured in these self described cases? What's that? It didn't! Well why the hell are we wasting all this money on internet task forces, stranger danger campaigns and the like!?
Posted by strayan, Tuesday, 11 July 2006 1:00:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Barbara,
I have read both your books and found them both moving and informative, thank you. You carry on the good work in this article.
My view about life in general comes from something my grandmother used to say; "to know everything is to understand everything." By which she meant that there is a reasonable explanation for even the most bizarre behaviour, if only we knew what it was. That everyone - even those we consider the most 'evil' - has their story.
When we choose to blame people, as your correspondent very bravely and humanly illustrates, we shut them up and drive them underground. We can condemn the behaviour without condemning the person who behaved that way. Surely that is the essence of good parenting, good teaching, good friendship, good partnering - love, in fact?
I have mentioned this film on other threads, I am sure you have seen it, but others may be interested "The Woodsman" deals with just these issues, sensitively and compassionately, as you do.
Posted by ena, Tuesday, 11 July 2006 5:00:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Shonga - thank you. Yes, perhaps if more and more people consolidate we will end up with a force that will have more power than single entities.
Posted by Romany, Wednesday, 12 July 2006 1:03:10 AM
There are injections commonly used for prostate cancer treatment which stop the body producing testosterone and thus diminish sexual desire. I understand that this kind of treatment has been successfully used for sexual offenders.

My feeling is that if a man knows that he has a sexual inclination towards children [or an inclination to use force to get sex from anyone of any age], then he should present himself for treatment. This treatment should of course be available and confidential.

If he does this, then no criminal activity, no harm to innocents and no punishment. If he does not take the necessary steps to help himself, then lengthy imprisonment is appropriate, together with being given these injections.
Posted by Rex, Thursday, 13 July 2006 4:35:49 PM
For all those interested in the subject of how child abusers come about, read Freda Brigg's book " From victim to Offender". It contains the stories of men in Cooma Jail's sex offender rehab programme. The stories are horrific. Not just for what these men admit they did to other children, but what was done to them, often times in the name of God, (church run ophanages) or by the public authorities paid to look after homeless children in group homes.
I used to feel that child sex offenders should be publicy shamed and punished. At least now these men have tried to correct what they did by telling their stories.
I would like to see many more programes advertised publicly for adult offenders to attend, where they could admit to and redress their prediclictions without fear of prosecution,or prejudice if they went to same voluntarily.
As much as it goes against my basic moral grain to say this, these adults were once innocent children, whose innocence was corrupted, and no one listened or looked out for them.
Posted by dott, Sunday, 16 July 2006 7:18:16 PM
Romany,
Yes to sounds like the practical thing to do, join the Bravehearts Union. Rex, In a perfect world this would be a terrific solution, sadly we don't have such a world to work with. How do we intentify these people, there must be a gene, something they all have in common?
Posted by SHONGA, Monday, 17 July 2006 10:14:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy