The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Culturally transmitted identity > Comments

Culturally transmitted identity : Comments

By Patricia Jenkings, published 26/6/2006

The evolving cultural identity of Australians.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
AMEL said:

Some Australians have had a hard time dealing with multiculturalism , because these people feel their more SUPERIOR to immigrants, why?They say the land is theirs, and people who don't fit the bill (immigrants) are NOT GOOD ENOUGH to be in their land.

AMEL, your statement might well apply to STORMFRONT or the PATRRIOTIC YOUTH LEAGUE, but by and large, your statement was as racist as their positions.

You are projecting your OWN racist attitudes on the vast bulk of Aussies who are NOT on about 'we are superior' ...that is a total propoganda myth promoted by racist immigrants who use it to bash the prevailing culture, for their own ETHNO/RACIST agenda.

Should immigrants lose their heritage ? It depends on which parts you're referring to:

LANGUAGE ? by all means keep it, as long as you LEARN TO SPEAK ENGLISH fluently.

RELIGION ? by all means keep it, AS LONG AS it does NOT contain anything suggestive of setting up a 'STATE' along lines of that religion. (e.g. Islamic Republic)

To most of us, it is not about 'superiority' its about COHESIAN and CULTURAL IDENTITY, which surprising as it might seem,..... we actually HAVE ! and yes, I'm referring to the predominant AngloSaxon/Irish/Scottish/Celtic mix that built the new European flavored nation of Australia. I don't include Indigenous culture in this, as it is not part of our culture.

So the ISSUE with regard to immigrants is this:

Controlled numbers.
Controlled ethno/religious mix

with a goal of:

Political/Social/Cultural stability/cohesian in the mould established by the founding fathers and mothers.

Please don't EVER let me see you refer to the rest of us as regarding ourselves as 'superior' it is an obcene,racist,intolerant insult.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Tuesday, 27 June 2006 6:24:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm always amazed that people see the need to link culture with "race". There is an Australian culture: there is no such thing as an Australian "race".

Our core culture is of British origin: it has been modified over time through contact with the country's indigenous peoples and with a vast range of migrant groups, but it continues to exist. There is, however, absolutely no link between being part of this culture and having a given genetic heritage. People from all over the world have become part of Australian society and have thus become Australians.

Like Canada, Australia has been attractive destination for migrants from all over the world precisely because of our British-derived institutions, values and culture. This has made us a multi-ethnic society, but we should not fall into the trap of confusing that with being multi-cultural.

Defending our culture - the very culture that has made us both attractive to and welcoming of migrants - has nothing to do with racism, because our culture does not belong to a "race".
Posted by Ian, Tuesday, 27 June 2006 8:25:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Amel – I don’t understand what you are trying to say. What do ‘sweatshops’ have to do with anything? And please don’t tell me what I ‘want’ or what makes me comfortable, because you have no idea of either of these things. Most Australians I know do not feel ‘superior’ to migrants – in fact, my husband is a migrant, so perhaps you shouldn’t be so eager to assume that you know the beliefs of others. You sound quite racist against Australians.

“..,it [America] is one of the very very few nations to make multiculturalism work ..”

Have you lived there?

Ian – you say “Our core culture is of British origin” , then you add “there is …no link between being part of this culture and having a given genetic heritage”

This is my point. Approximately 70% of Australians are descended from the people who created our core culture, and are linked to it by their genes. Most WWII migrants have integrated very well into this culture and brought new life and colour to it (especially food).

Otherwise, I agree with you that being Australian is not a matter of genetics but of the heart, I just disagree with the ‘distinct race’ idea.
Posted by dee, Tuesday, 27 June 2006 11:59:30 AM
I used the word "race" when 'culture' would have more suitable. I also said that I hoped our 'culture' would not be submerged.
Because I believe we do have a distinct culture, maybe ethos would be a better choice.
We certainly are not American,English or Asian though a bit of all help makes up the whole.
I do not consider we are superior, we are different to many of the races who have made this their home . Unfortunately we are getting immigrants who consider that they are superior to us. They should be firmly pointed in the direction from which they came so they can return to the greatness that is their home country.With our happy adieus.
We need more immigrants who will embrace our way of life, we do not want our country torn apart with the tensions that most of Europe are subject to.
Posted by mickijo, Tuesday, 27 June 2006 2:37:20 PM
@Dee:
The meaning of Racism for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

You seem to be racist,are 'Australians' only 2 race groups?
By the way ,I never generalized all Australians I used 'Some' & 'People like that' .

I also used 'sweat shops' as an example of people not thinking about where some of their Goods come from.You were talking about immigrants and abot their dishes,foods,Well I'm saying its more than just recipes.

@D.B.
I don't speak for All immgrants ,I speak for myself.Infact, I don't really bother or let people who think like you get to me:).But sometimes, to "every action" "theres a Reaction". I have nothing against Australian cultures, Anglos or Indigenous ones and others.

When I first met an Australian man and his wife I thought they were from the United Kingdom.They were nice & polite to me.I even like some Aussie slangs.I also like chinese food,italian food,and American. I'm not a narrow minded person.

I just feel the need to speak sometimes,push away the negatives.
Posted by Amel, Tuesday, 27 June 2006 4:40:02 PM
Hi to everybody...Do we Australians have/possess a culture ? I dunno, I would suspect not. What is this 'culture' anyway? Is it the appreciation of art, architecture? Or is it found by reading the classics, or speaking well...perhaps it's the ability to engage in a sensible discussion, dropping in a big word every now and then in order to demonstrate a substantial vocabulary? Perhaps it's to argue vociferously, to make a point, thus forcing your opponent to 'cower' into some manner of symbolic submission - lest he be heard? I don't really know. I do know however, that we Australians don't enjoy a particularly good reputation abroad, often brandad as loud, self-opinionated, boorish folk, who labour on incessantly, with our jingoistic opinions on all matters fundamental. Some of us regrettably, don't know how to behave. We think, in mixed company, to engage in some sort allegorical language and 'social swearing', is a mark of sophistry? I really don't think so. You see good folk, I'm sometimes ashamed, to admit that I'm an Australian, for fear that I may inculcate an image, in the mind of someone that I've just met, as being a bad mannered, rude, and uncultured individual.
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 27 June 2006 4:51:18 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy