The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The ABC of Indigenous travel > Comments

The ABC of Indigenous travel : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 12/5/2006

The leisure and travel expectations of Indigenous Australians.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
In the interests of equality why not break down all walls of silence? It interests me that these conversations would imply that white Australians have an exemplary society, that there is no beating of women and children and no paedeophilia.
Take a visit to Thailand, the Philipinnes or almost any Pacific Island and you will see white Australian males preying on brown boys and girls.
One white Aussie who was HIV postive was staying at a prominent resort a few years back in Samoa, with the aim of infecting every boy he could. That information came straight to me from his doctor. Or closer to home, take a leisurely night stroll through Kings Cross and see the nice fathers, the dear grandfathers, the loving husbands engaging in behaviour that bears a parallel to some of the worst scenes in Victorian London. Hear them in their comfy country home circles, expressing outrage at paedophiles. Know the hypocracy.
I remember a civil rights action in which the aborigine in a particular area only got access to swim in the pool with white people after naming the councillors and civic servants who had fathered them.
It's easy and lazy to say that problems lie with one culture only. The past does have an influence on the present and while walls must be broken down we need to ensure that there is a good clean wide horizon in the space beyond. All cultures have work to do on abuse issues and we need to start with our own homes and neighbourhoods before throwing stones.
Posted by dinkum, Thursday, 18 May 2006 8:58:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The alchemist,
the past is linked to the future in an Indigenous Australian world-view.

Surely your alledged Aboriginal ancestry has linked you to this spiritual truth.

I have a problem with issues such as this being used to taint all Indigenous people. It is the race based politics that JH and co relish.

If there was a will to act in a realist fashion then the perpetrators would be removed - not the victims.

Why is there an immediate call for children to be removed? What about making their communities safer. What non-Indigenous community of 2500 has no police presence?

Negative stereotyping can only serve to diminish the voice and impact of Indigenous men who are actively working to stamp out such odious behavious towards women and children.

What gives you the right to assume knowledge of my faith affiliations?

In regards to popes and queens, I know of only one pope and one queen that has apologised. Maybe there are other queens that have also apologised but maybe not so publicly - perhaps those ones down at Kings Cross :)
Posted by Aka, Thursday, 18 May 2006 10:22:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aka, the past was “linked to the future in an Indigenous Australian world-view.” That past has been subjected to scorn and ridicule by the followers of god, because of that abuse, its not possible to maintain the natural link that existed. The majority, are in spiritual limbo and confused about where they fit.

Of course theres a link to the spiritual past and pain for all that understand it. Now its a personal one, not as tribal as before. I spent a long time finding my spiritual home, working out my association with the land, what it represents, how it breathes and feels, how it talks and guides you in understanding. I spent a long time within monotheism, yet it lacked truth, whilst the animism of our country seemed more reasonable and factual for me.

Your probably right about the kings cross queens. Only ignorant fools would stereotype all koori males in the category of abusers, most are the opposite, all cultures have their abusers. Strength from elders and support for that strength is whats lacking in communities. When you take the basis of existence out of a culture, you destroy it.

Monotheism stripped the indigenous of their culture, and replaced it with a violent lie. To repair the wounds, you have to remove the cause or evolve the culture beyond the cause. As animism is far superior and in harmony with the natural world, with the right approach, it can again be a force for strength and peace within indigenous life and provide a positive example for the rest of society.

That won't happen until we change our political and social systems. Until people take pride in their past and exhibit that past in their present day approach to life, no change will occur and we'll continue get scum bags that fleece the people and the system. To me their traitors and should be ostracised and rejected by all communities, if thats not done, nothing will change. Their not koori's just scum, having dark skin doesn't necessarily mean you have an indigenous heart.
Posted by The alchemist, Friday, 19 May 2006 10:39:13 AM
This has been an excellent thread, so far. I find myself agreeing or at least nodding to many of the comments on both sides of the debate. Given that, I want to throw in a grenade (metaphorically, of course).
Mental Illness! Is it my imagination or have the sort of problems/crises that we currently see so graphically in Indigenous Communities been increasing since we decided to “reform” the provision of mental health care towards community based systems.
All very well in theory; but if the community in which the care is vested is already dysfunctional, then what kind of outcomes can you honestly expect.
I don’t have the actual Damn Lies and Statistics before me but I am willing to bet my superannuation that indigenous folk and individuals feature more in all of the indicators for social and individual dysfunction.
What to do?
I don’t know. Perhaps perhaps perhaps etc
Posted by colgradolf, Tuesday, 23 May 2006 6:58:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy