The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The ABC of Indigenous travel > Comments

The ABC of Indigenous travel : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 12/5/2006

The leisure and travel expectations of Indigenous Australians.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Rainer, AKA, whilst I agree with most things you say, abusing those your asking for help and support, appears to be defeating the purpose. Many things said by all posters are verifiable on both sides, unless thats accepted, there will be no progress. It doesn't make it right either way.

The fault is on both sides, today indigenous people suffer the same stupidity the rest of the community face, when dealing with bureaucrats, politicians and their vested interests. Living and clinging to the past only keeps you there, it doesn't mean giving up culture or empathies. You can't have cultural laws to live by, yet expect to receive help from another set of laws when yours don't suit you.

The problems is not a clash of culture, but a refusal of those in charge of those cultures to be responsible for their positions instead of abusing them. When the hierarchies take their responsibilities seriously, instead of feathering their own nests and then abusing those that put them there, we may see progress. Not only that, but obtaining the support of the people was the first step to equality and acceptance (the vote), don't you think that again getting their support, is the next step. Running the general public down and accusing them of crimes they have nothing to do with, is irrational and defeatist.

If the truth be known, its the churches that should be held to account. It was the missionaries behind most of the problems faced, their dictatorial attitude, forced cultural change, threats of eternal damnation and suffrage if they didn't give up their culture and follow god. Herded of their lands onto missions, fed disgusting and disease causing foods. Separated because some priest, nun or pastor, couldn't change their natural ways. The department of aboriginal affairs, always acted on mission advice.

Attack those that cause the problems, not those that can help fix them. Thats the insanity of the blame game, its directed towards losing, so always fails.
Posted by The alchemist, Wednesday, 17 May 2006 5:35:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I guess the point of this article was fairly well-hidden. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it runs along the lines that, because Aboriginal people were kept in enforced poverty until fairly recently, they do not have the opportunity to enjoy the luxuries many of us take for granted?

While I agree that, at least in a legal sense, Aboriginal people are 100% equal to their white counterparts, I understand that this has not always been so. They did not have access to the educational or employment opportunities that my grandparents had access to. As a result, their children - many of whom did enjoy these opportunities - were at a disadvantage as, once they had reached Grade 2 level, they were already better educated than their parents and could not expect the support or assistance from home that my parents enjoyed. This set them back which, in turn, set their kids back.

To put a positive spin on things, each generation is probably marginally better off than the one before it.

Perhaps we can hope that the next generation - today's schoolkids - will go a step further, as will the generation to follow. I guess legal equality is a quick step, but social equality takes a while to catch up.
Posted by Otokonoko, Wednesday, 17 May 2006 11:58:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The alchemist,

to simply blame the churches is simplistic and naive.

Warick Anderson wrote an interesting book, The Cultivation of Whiteness: Science, Health and Racial Destiny in Australia, outlining the progression of policies based on medical science and government policies.

The churches were used to implement these policies.

The missions were, by the way, funded by Indigenous wages that were paid to the govts.

More than one church has appologised for their role in the missions, particularly the previous head of the Catholic church.

Pope John Paul publicly appologised for the role of the Catholic church in the oppression of Indigenous Australians. As has Queen Liz.

Not so old JH.

I suggest to people who want to walk alonside and assist Indigenous people, or even people who comment on Indigenous issues in an ill-informed way to visit the HREOC website. Tom Calma has written some interesting and informative stuff there.

Hope you find knowledge and enlightenment and maybe a little tolerance and wisdom.
Posted by Aka, Thursday, 18 May 2006 8:44:51 AM
Rainier,
Instead of having a go at Mickijo for putting forward his opinion, I for one would be interested in your opinion and suggested remedial action in relation the latest shocking revelations of physical and sexual abuse of women and children in aboriginal communities.

Everyone is quite aware that this abuse is not solely confined to the aboriginal communities, but the incidence in aboriginal communities appears to be extremely high. It has been talked about,on and off, for years and all suggestions are worthy of consideration. Something has to be done now.

I commend Mickijo for giving the issue thought which is far ahead of most. Come on Rainier, let us have your considered opinion.
Posted by Banjo, Thursday, 18 May 2006 10:56:52 AM
Aka, I'm aware of the conditions, policies and actions regarding indigenous people during the 1950's. Thats when caring people went to war with the church and government over treatment on missions.

Has popes and queens apologising made any difference, no. Whats your personal experience of those times and changes. Have a look at current missionaries, you'll find the same problems, brow beaten until they hit they grog to relief their minds, or give up and succumb to the onslaught of god.

What happened to the belief systems that took care of this country for thousands of years, the depth of feeling and understanding of how nature works and the ability to work with it. Crushed by god, now we have empty hulks, paraded as good followers of god. others are pitied for their dilemma, some just ignored. But it hasn't helped.

My father, argued strongly with missionaries regarding the effects of their suppression on the people. Most station operators accepted people coming and going. The missionaries, hunting parties to bring them back, amid abuse and threats. Typical example of monotheisms approach to life, lie, conquer, lie again, suppress, lie again and tell them you are helping fix what you caused.

My knowledge is personal experience, not a book, propaganda or hearsay. Most with indigenous blood I know, are to busy getting on with their lives. But we all support those wishing to retain their culture, even against brain-dead elements of their own mob and most of the hierarchy involved in indigenous affairs, from both sides.

This isn't a land of god, but a land of animism and dream time. If you follow that culture, you should be fully supported. If you follow god, let god take care of you, as your told he will. Don't hold your breath waiting though, many have died under that assumption.

Living within this modern society, you have the same rights as everyone else, no more. Take a holiday, go for a walk in the bush. You don't need money for that, may even learn about real life, not just a decadent delusion.
Posted by The alchemist, Thursday, 18 May 2006 11:02:11 AM
Why is it so hard to expect that Aboriginals have the same rights and the same responsibilities as every other Australian?
Perhaps living in closed communities where the biggest and strongest have all the say has been wrong. I would say that democracy would not stand a chance in such communities.
To have little children subjected to such horrors is to ensure that that stain taints all future generations unless it stopped.
The past is over and done with and the future must hold more for Aboriginal youth . Growing up undisciplined ,untrained and uneducated is never going to advance them and they deserve better than that.
Why does this country need to import foreigners when we have a whole society living in a limbo of neglect and emptiness?
Posted by mickijo, Thursday, 18 May 2006 3:55:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy