The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Mugged by a mobile phone > Comments

Mugged by a mobile phone : Comments

By Tony Smith, published 1/3/2006

Our right to feel comfortable in public spaces is under threat.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Interesting and well thought out article but the linkages with Victorian toilets and airconditioning deminishes your argument.

The airconditioning logic is a real red herring - Australia has summers with 40 C plus days - the issue is the traditional (and stupid) dress codes not a gender issue. Women are "allowed" to dress according to the weather (and sensibly wear cooler items when it is hot) whilst men are "expected" to wear the British suit, tie and business shirt whether is it O degrees or 40 degrees. Prehaps it is men who are discriminated against here rather than women?
Posted by Green Aussie, Wednesday, 1 March 2006 9:20:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hang on Tony. Don't tell me that most men would not be looking out of the corners (or the front) of their eyes at topless women on the beach. And the topless women should not be surprised by that, in fact must expect it.

Would it be any different if the men were using Box Brownie cameras rather than a mobile phone? Is it just the new technology that you object to? Peeping toms have been around for probably hundreds of thousands of years - they are not a new phenomenon.

And what is the connection between looking at topless women and tiny tots. Are you saying that a man ogling a topless woman on the beach is automatically a paedophile? Your logic is somewhat convoluted, to say the least.
Posted by AMSADL, Wednesday, 1 March 2006 9:35:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There is no right to feel comfortable. Absurd premise. Too variable. Would have to formulate 6.5 billion versions of a bill of rights to cover variant emotional sensibilities.

There is no right to privacy in a public place. Unfortunate l agree. However its a simple contradiction.

The unique 'logical' behind this piece could prolly justify parents (er mothers) spying on their kids with GPS and classroom cameras at the same time decrying men who take pics of nakedness at the beach.

Dont think l have seen an Online Opinion article with so many logical fallacies, intellectual dishonesties, specious claims, gender driven double standards, ideologically infused 'logic' and generalised absurdity masquerading as insight.

Considering the low word count and the tedium of the excercise, will leave it there.

ps. where can l go to put my brain so thoroughly thru a wash a rinse cycle? Ah yes, articles like this one.

pps. the standard of articles is slipping badly in this place. Yes, yes, dont change the subject by emploring me to contribute my own version of same (lm not that disciplined), but please do exercise some editorial rigour. Simple adherence to the tenets of logic and reason would be a good filter.
Posted by trade215, Wednesday, 1 March 2006 8:05:56 PM
I think trade215 has just about covered it. Since when do we have privacy in a public space? Security cameras are everywhere, videos scan hundreds of people in a few seconds. On the whole most people are not interested in taking pictures of strangers; unless perhaps those strangers are topless! Using the example of topless women to support this argument is rather weak. Whilst taking photos of unknown topless women is inappropriate; others on the beach may have felt their public space more under threat by the view of these topless women.
Tony Smith claims "The test for us is to accept them and to avoid causing them embarrassment". Tony - why are only the rights of these topless women considered? How about any embarrassment they cause? Topless women are always going to attract male attention. Parents don't let their children watch R rated movies so why take them to an R rated beach and risk exposure to undesireable elements (if they are in fact undesireable).

Respect yourself and others will respect you. If women have no respect for their own privacy why should they expect it from others. The only need I can see there is to be topless on a public beach is the need for attention. Using that as an example of public space being under threat is really grasping at straws.
Posted by Coraliz, Wednesday, 1 March 2006 9:43:32 PM
A further sign of civilisation is that women can, without fear, use the beach for swimming or sunbathing “topless” if they wish.

However, a few men seem determined to show these women that they have no rights in this public space

COMMENT:
Civlisation ? or the lack of it ! If a girl is happy for all the beach goers to see her naked top, why should she worry if half the world does also ? via a mobile snap and the internet ?
What utttter hypocrisy!

"Like the Breast feeding mother" ?

like heck it is ! A mum with a baby shows the beautiful functionality of breasts in context. OUT of that context they are very much for titilation and the stimulation of male hormonal activity, and any man who denies he is sweetly turned on by a well shaped naked breast had better have some flying pigs on standby !

Naked breasts are exactly what the media portrays them to be.. STIMULATING. I say those men who photograph such women are just the 'reaping' aspect of what the females themselves 'sowed'.
Neither is 'right' and the photo is not worse than the flaunting.
"you flaunt, we taunt" perhaps is how he thinks ?

The only thing a topless (and non suckling) female can 'TRUST' is that men will enjoy the sight of her boobs, and feel a rather strong urge to KEEP looking.

When I (rarely) waltz up to Safeways in my Lycra bike shorts, which are rather form fitting and revealing of my manhood, even girls I know as 'daughter' figures are tempted to LOOK down below when they think I'm not seeing ! Our sexuality is REAL and is related to certain parts of our bodies. Modesty is a far better option.

RIGHTS ?
When men 'flash' themselves women are outraged.
Males have 'rights' not to be flashed by bouncing boobs too. Especially if they were there first.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 1 March 2006 9:59:09 PM
Don't expect privacy in a public space.

simple as that.
Posted by Hamlet, Wednesday, 1 March 2006 11:05:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy