The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Pro-choice and Catholic: A mother's story > Comments

Pro-choice and Catholic: A mother's story : Comments

By Kate Mannix, published 8/2/2006

Kate Mannix scrutinises the Catholic Church and pro-life advocates over motherhood and abortion.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 27
  7. 28
  8. 29
  9. Page 30
  10. 31
  11. All
CC, I'm sorry you are disappointed, but not much I can do about it.
I'm really not sure what you expected skeptics to do. So many people
make religious claims etc. Skeptics lead busy lives too, they can't
just drop everything and run after every claim. If Mike is serious,
he is free to write to the Skeptics Ass, they do investigate some
things, but can only check so many.

Yes there is alot of pain in the world, thats why I am against
suffering. I think alot of it makes perfect sense, but you need
to understand nature for the answers, not religion. If you are
on the wrong track, you will stay confused.

My life is very positive CC. My heart pumps blood by the way :)

Meg, the leaders of the Church in Rome, had people burnt. The
people you look to for guidance.

You continue to confuse organisms with people. Organisms do not
suffer, people do. Learn from nature. Far more organisms will
be created of any species, then can ever survive. If you start
to focus on suffering people, rather then organsims, you'll get
somewhere.

I have no vain hope for the Catholic Church lol. What I do know
is that more and more Catholics have woken up to flawed Church
dogma and simply don't accept those bits which they know are flawed.
That includes nuns, priests and lay people. I have far more
respect for Paul Collins, then for any pope who ever lived.
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 1 September 2006 8:38:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No Yabby, no one I have looked to for any guidance or example in Rome has burned anyone at the stake, nor have they supported the dismembering, or brutal killing of a tiny innocent human being…or tried to kill another human to eliminate any evidence of their own actions…or someone who may cause them some inconvenience…especially not Pope Benedict or Pope John Paul 11...

...are you suggesting that a person's age has any bearing on their ability to feel pain...or that age has any bearing on the acceptability of killing another human being? If that were so, it would be preferable to kill a child rather than a 65 year old, or a 65 year old rather than an 80 year old...your confused logic is tying you in knots, Yabby...you're yabbering gibberish that even you can't decipher.

You should meet Mike Collins…now there’s a man who has earned the respect of others…including the Pope.
Posted by Meg1, Saturday, 2 September 2006 12:55:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You are correct Meg, modern popes havent gone around killing people,
hopefully they would be locked up if they did. Things were different
when the CC had more power then now.

BTW, there is still speculation as to what happened to JP1. The
Vatican refused an autopsy, when he died under strange circumstances.
He was going to liberate the CC somewhat.

Organisms are not people Meg. A fertilised egg is not a person.
All quite simple really, if it hasn't got a functioning human
brain, its not a person.
Posted by Yabby, Saturday, 2 September 2006 11:20:51 AM
There you go, contradicting yourself again Yabby...you oppose all things Catholic because, in your confused, conspiratorial mind-state, they are dictating world-policy on everything...they have too much influence. Now you refer to the Catholic Church's influence as: 'Things were different when the CC had more power then now.'

Which is it Yabby...?

But perhaps you should include an apology on your admission that, 'modern popes havent gone around killing people, hopefully they would be locked up if they did.'

...since your previous accusations incorrectly imposed guilt on the Church as a whole - including the present Church.

...of course, by your own admission, people who go around 'killing people' should 'be locked up'...that then includes those who would kill the unborn then? ...those who 'supported the dismembering, or brutal killing of a tiny innocent human being…or tried to kill another human to eliminate any evidence of their own actions…or someone who may cause them some inconvenience...' Hmmm...double standards sit well with you then?

RE: Pope John Paul 1 - your gibberish regarding the fantasies on that score indicate why you didn't last long with the so-called 'sceptics' - even they couldn't keep a straight face any longer with your 'theories' and 'conspiracies'...

'if it hasn't got a functioning human brain, its not a person.'

...again, you have condemned yourself by your own words...

...so, by your criteria, a person in an induced coma, under-anaesthetic, in a state-of-dementia, intellectually disabled, perhaps infants (whose age means they have limited comprehension)...good grief Yabby, you're really tying yourself up in knots now...perhaps you'd like to spell out exactly who you think should be 'allowed' to live in your brave new world...
Posted by Meg1, Sunday, 3 September 2006 4:53:46 PM
No contradictions at all Meg, perhaps you are just slow to understand:)

The CC certainly would dicate everything, as they used to, given
half a chance. Luckily people are more informed now, a bit less
gullible too in the first world in general, although not always.
So the Vatican spin machine continues on all fronts, more successfull
in some places then others. Its a constant battle.

http://www.population-security.org/cffc-97-02.htm

The present church is based on the past church. As the hierarchy
claim to be god inspired and were god inspired, they have to justify
their past, including killing people who opposed them. Its them
preaching the Xtian story remember, them claiming to be the judges
of morality etc. Nobody knows exactly what happened with JP1.
Strange that an autopsy was refused.

No confusion at all about brains either Meg. The bit that makes
us human is a larger neocortex. If you induce a coma, its still
a human neocortex. Without a human neocortex, you are not a person.

A 12 week old organism is not a person
Posted by Yabby, Sunday, 3 September 2006 7:22:28 PM
CC,

Skeptics have indeed been on Mike Willessee’s and Katya Rivas’ case. Here’re a couple of articles on the net, but I’m sure you could find more if you follow the links on these sites.

http://www.csicop.org/articles/19990729-signs-from-god/

http://skepdic.com/refuge/funk21.html#rivas

Meg1,

a couple of weeks back you said:

“I wonder if there’ll be research done into why some male children no longer have the Y-chromosome”. I was going to let that one through to the keeper, but you recently mentioned “chromosomal changes in man”, so now you've got me curious.

I’m no geneticist, but a person with one X sex chromosome and no Y (or matching X) is actually female, albeit one with a number of cardiovascular, endocrine, skeletal and renal problems: this is a well described genetic abnormality called Turner’s syndrome
Posted by Snout, Monday, 4 September 2006 6:33:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 27
  7. 28
  8. 29
  9. Page 30
  10. 31
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy