The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why our greatest story is just not being told > Comments

Why our greatest story is just not being told : Comments

By Kevin Donnelly, published 30/1/2006

Kevin Donnelly argues the nation's heritage is being forgotten in history lessons.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Dear readers ... on this topic, I recommend Geoffrey Melleuish's well-balanced article in today's Australian (30/1).
Posted by Faustino, Monday, 30 January 2006 11:25:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Is Prime Minister Howard correct?"

No, he isn't.

Thanks
Petal
Posted by petal, Monday, 30 January 2006 11:25:18 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is John Howard correct..

Yes

To understand where we are going we must understand where we have been.
Posted by The Big Fish, Monday, 30 January 2006 11:31:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And we keep trying to tell Mr Howard where we have been but he doesn't want to listen. We have to learn about where MR HOWARD says we have been. None of this "black armband" stuff.

And when was the last time the PM stepped into a classroom and actually observed what was going on?
Posted by petal, Monday, 30 January 2006 11:44:13 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Poor Kevin. Isnt it completely obvious that we whiteys invaded this continent. It was part of the same process of European colonialism and imperialism whereby we (whiteys) stole the lands and resources of much of rest of the world.

Of course we cant undo that process but we can and need to find the maturity to admit that that is what happened.

Howard & co are all to ready to wrap our national "identity" up in jingoistic interpretations of the Anzac "tradition" and we are all supposed to feel good and postive about it. Why cant we therefore be mature enough to accept the dark side of our heritage.It is still lurking there in the shadows and its ghosts or time spirits DO affect/infect the collective body politic.

Interpretations of HIS-story are always subjective. Certains events happened for sure but what were the inevitablle multiple contexts within which any and every event occurred?
And even more important, the multiple future contexts, events and processes that were inevitably triggerd by any historical event. Especially the inevitable unforseen consequences. For instance the Bushies seemed to imagine that Iraq would be easy. Look at all the unforseen consequences generated. And what about ALL the invisible karmas/patterns/momentums both individual and collective?
And besides which we are really like little stick figures running around on the tip of the iceberg of the great momentums and patterns of cultural and history pretending that we are in charge. When in truth we are hardly aware of any of the mass of the iceberg of historical momentum beneath our shoes. Much of what it is happening in the world at the moment has its roots in all kinds of historical karmas or patterns both individual and collective

A present time example of the inherently subjective nature of historical interpretation are the many narratives/histories being generated by the current American invasion of Iraq and the so called war on terror. And it is completely obvious that the official HIS-story as told by Bush/Howard/Blair is full of lies all of which are on the public record.
Posted by Tigerlily, Monday, 30 January 2006 11:52:55 AM
This is an important issue, but how can we have an enlightening discussion without taking sides and just reinforcing the feeling that we are at war with one another? I was a History teacher in the 60's to the 80's and I am aware of the trends that Kevin Donnelly is speaking of. I share some of his criticisms of the trends of the time but I want also to affirm the thoughtful contribution of those whom he is inclined to dismiss too lightly. Smacking down those trends and accusing their proponents is hardly likely to encourage honest exploration of the way forward. If we get caught up in taking sides, we will miss the chance to make some genuoine steps forward which respect all who want to make a contribution. I guess I'm simply wanting to argue for people with conviction to be willing to see that none of us has the whole picture and to constantly listen for the voice of the other who may have something to add to our insights. Can we model a way of curriculum development which reflects the sort of co-operative society that I suspect most teachers really desire?

Ledingham
Posted by ledingham, Monday, 30 January 2006 11:54:57 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy