The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Men make a meal of household equality > Comments

Men make a meal of household equality : Comments

By Nicholas Gruen, published 20/1/2006

Nicholas Gruen examines the division of labour in households between the sexes.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. All
ok...

6. The usual suspect
Posted by tubley, Friday, 20 January 2006 3:56:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Potentially Useful Disclaimer: I am a divorcee (don’t you just love the way that word sounds and feels?).

Now, as for any man who doesn’t accept that he isn’t pulling his weight: just imagine we waved a magic wand, and turn him into the woman we speak of, whom, even in the 21st century:

- ends up doing more of the domestic chores than her husband/partner
- gets paid less for the same work/job than a man does
- is under-represented in public life and in society’s power positions
- was for a large part of history denied access and equality
- even today is in many places expected to be a ‘saint in the kitchen and a sinner in the bedroom’

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not necessarily saying that being pro-fem is the only politically or practically correct position. Let me risk being provocative by saying that perhaps those who would argue the case that women already get fair treatment should walk a few miles in their shoes first.

And Now, A Word For Our Female Readers:

- men die younger
- men (insert your preferred percentage here) probably don’t enjoy their life as much as women do. Note male jail rates, suicide/addiction rates, mental health rates, estrangement from their children, etc
- men (insert your preferred percentage here) probably don’t receive the emotional and societal support and understanding that women do
- men (insert your preferred percentage here) often in the end find society’s expectations of them to be unfulfilling

And thus, similarly, were she given the chance, I’m not sure that every woman would be in a rush to enjoy the so-called perks of being a man either.

So, we each have our figurative cross to bear.

Time we all focussed on making sure we all, each and every one of us, enjoy our short stay on Planet Confused?
Posted by When_The_Going_Gets_Weird, Friday, 20 January 2006 4:14:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
aren't there more important issues with regard to gender issues, than who does the housework? For the wives and female spouses.... if he's a lazy, chauvanistic bastard, get rid of him. In this day and age there are plenty of guys who cook and clean ie do their fair share.
Surely issues of domestic violence, family breakdown, custody issues, etc are far more worthwhile discussion points.
Posted by silent minority, Friday, 20 January 2006 4:59:31 PM
Well its like this... Women seem fussier then men when it comes to housework. Seeing they know exactly how it should be, perhaps best to just let them get on with it :)
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 20 January 2006 4:59:39 PM
Why not let families organise themselves as they see fit? Why must femocrats insist on trying to control how families deal with the tasks of domestic living?

"Domestic labour" cannot be treated as normal labour - though in it men and women come nearly equal. Children partake in "domestic labour" yet not normal labour, and I would recommend to all the femocrats complaining about having to fold the socks... get the kids to do it, they make a game out of it, and later on you can use an allowance to rope in this child labour on a regular basis.

Something of intrest... in households where men are doing more work, the next logical task for them to take from women has been the cooking, as it suits our nature most... it's a more clearly defined "job" than cleaning is... much like fixing something or watering the garden. Unfortunately for women, cooking is a creative and fulfulling exercise, and quite enjoyable. Its satisfaction is more than ironing or folding. Some of my friends' mothers now complain that their husbands have started cooking to help out around the house, not because they can't cook - au contrair - but because they can't iron, fold and clean to a passable standard.
Posted by DFXK, Friday, 20 January 2006 6:05:33 PM
My husband is pretty much perfect...... He believes that vacuuming and mopping etc., is heavy work and should be done by the men.....Of course I would have to agree.
Posted by Jolanda, Friday, 20 January 2006 7:14:53 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy