The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Time to recognise the reassuring sameness of the human condition > Comments

Time to recognise the reassuring sameness of the human condition : Comments

By Mirko Bagaric, published 4/1/2006

Mirko Bagaric argues we need to foster an environment where individuals can flourish regardless of race or religion.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
“People like the familiar”, writes Sneekeepete. “That's why we are in the middle of some bizarre social panic over a few mad mullahs and women in gabardine with scarves on their heads”.

The strong desire to stay with what is familiar has led to suppression of comment on some pretty fundamental things. I have gone through two phases of this; environmental concerns in the 80s, where we were labelled hippies, tree-huggers, etc and had our messages treated like crap, much later to become totally acceptable mainstream material. And population growth concerns in the 90s, where we were labelled racist, fascist, elitist and had our concerns thoroughly suppressed, only for them to emerge as eminently sensible in recent times.

We are just going through another wave of this closeted mentality.

Let it all hang out. Let’s hear it, not suppress it
Posted by Ludwig, Friday, 6 January 2006 12:08:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
uneed2bcurious,

1.5 Settled somewhere where there is employment opportunities (not often miles from the nearest town), where there is sufficient support to help me get through the transition but not so much Aussie influence that it is difficult to learn the ways of my new country.

I'd probably want to maintain some Aussie friends but I would also be going out of my way to learn the local language, customs etc in an effort to give myself the best chance in that society and also to do my best to repay their kindness in opening their doors to me.

I'd still enjoy my cultural heritage and be keen to share some bits with my new neighbours. I'd also be trying to learn from my neighbours about their culture. I'd be making sure I obeyed their laws and acted in a manner which gave them no cause to regret my being there.

I would hope that in the interests of minimising problems to my hosts and myself that I would have access to services to help me through the transition period. I'd recognise the right of the country which took me in to consider the needs of the resident population when deciding how best to help me.

Maybe you could have another think about your case, you might have rested it a bit early.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 6 January 2006 8:06:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
uneed2bcurious

resting a case on flawed assumptions is the quickest way to be laughed out of OLO (or was that LOL)... :)

I agree with Robert, you need to re-think that case......

You made the fatal error of many leftist, Green and PC groups of suggesting that migrants can go to another country (be they white to non white areas of vice versa) and TELL or DECIDE where they will go and what they will do.

I have news for you. When you enter a sovereign country, you go by their way or you take the highway. If they happen to offer a degree of freedom of choice in such matters..fine. but IF they don't.. its also fine, live with it or leave it.

All you have done, is underline the extreme urgency of we in Australia taking the initiative in such matters as settlement and migration conditions for the benefit of THIS country and its interests, not for the benefit alone of migrants.

Strange and shocking as it might seem, Australia does not exist as the 'cherry waiting to be picked' by all and sundry of this world.

Meredith clearly showed the mentality of even the 'public friendly' face of one community within our community, when he was not having a microphone from chanel 9 stuck in his face. So, learn... from this.

P.S. the reason for the cry from Labor for resettling 'huge numbers' of Pacific Islanders when their homes are inundated by rising see levels is so TRANSPARENTLY obvious that it is laughable. Specially to me who has seen migration used in Asia as a convenient political tool to boost numbers of those pre-disposed to support a party which advocates for them. duh. Sure, lets accept many, but NOT IN GHETTOS ! Spread them around.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Friday, 6 January 2006 8:24:19 AM
To Kenny,

Ypu write

"Most Muslims practice a modern liberal form of Islam which fits well with our modern world"

and

"there are many Christian groups with millions of followers that think the 10 commandments should be law, that don’t like democracy and secular government."

Please explain, Mr Kenny, why every arabic/islamic nation in the world has officially stated that those "western values" such as "human rights" and "equality" etc. are not compatible with islamic sharia, and that certain sexual freedoms such as homosexuality which have only recently began to be recognised in the western, modern world, are regarded by the most moderate muslim as blasphemous and punishable by stoning to death, as well as adultery, which is, in the modern western world, hardly a crime beyond a minor relationship breakdown.
Why also, do we not know about fundamentalist Christian terrorists who massacre people in protest to the Jews occupation of the Holy Land, or in protest to gay mardi gras or secualr government or democracy. Such terrorist groups exist in huge numbers all over the world - these groups are Islamic, thought, not Christian.
Posted by Matthew S, Sunday, 8 January 2006 11:50:43 AM
To Coach in Regards to your response to Kenny,

1. They outbreed the average non-muslim couple by 3:1

Why is it that every culture instinctively is repulsed at the idea of having children with their own mother or sister/brother. or indeed cousin or uncle/aunty? Everyone knows it is because of the historically learned "memes" written into our biology through evolutuion, that tell us that such inter-breeding leads to deformities and stupid offspring. These are simple biological facts. That's why the royal families are all stupid, ugly people.

This is also why some tribal-type cultures, who often marry first cousins etc., have such high rates of birth deformities etc.. For example, in England, a government study done on this topic found that while the Pakistani birth rate in England was 2 or 3%, they made up one third of the birth deformities and such.

Could this be why many middle-eastern youth are angry, frustrated, with low IQs?

I am not attacking anyone, I am simply pointing out an obvious problem. Besides, it is disgusting to marry your first cousin, and I'm not going to cowardly hide behind political incorrectness.
Posted by Matthew S, Sunday, 8 January 2006 11:51:58 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy