The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Santa, the secular 'Christ of Material Abundance' > Comments

Santa, the secular 'Christ of Material Abundance' : Comments

By James McConvill, published 19/12/2005

James McConvill argues studies into the effect of Christmas on happiness show that Santa Claus needs to be banned.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
James,
What a very sad story about your mother's son.
She could have given you a father because you have learned not even to want Father Christmas.
Posted by GlenWriter, Monday, 19 December 2005 11:51:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No matter what the studies say pursing a life of materialism seem to be exactly what most of us drive for. The churches that have embraced this are the ones doing okay (Hillsong and the like). Having been brought up in a secular house hold xmas is for kids with only children getting gifts and we don't exchange cards either.

But in the end how do you measure happiness it’s all so subjective. Sure a poor family may well be a tighter family group then a rich family. Ask a family that’s gone from one to the other and you won’t find many that want to be poor.
Posted by Kenny, Monday, 19 December 2005 1:15:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
James
I agree that Christmas has become for many just a huge financial burden which will take months to pay off.

I agree that it would be far better if we could all make a special effort at Christmas to be more tolerant, loving and compassionate.

I do not agree that the government should be asked to pass laws to bring about the true spirit of Christmas.

The government is not likely to encourage people to think of peace and love (we may even start to demand that troops be brought home from Iraq and Afghanistan).
We (the people) must decide that the spirit of Christmas needs to be revived and do something about it as your mother has done.
Posted by Peace, Monday, 19 December 2005 1:21:58 PM
I love the conclusions that come out of these happiness studies even when they are in jest. Materialism doesn't bring happiness so lets ban Santa! That's a non-sequitur if ever i heard one.

Besides, banning Santa will just result in new Christmas icons popping up like Jojoy the Christmas Kangaroo who gives out presents from her pouch or something.
Posted by Donnie, Monday, 19 December 2005 4:04:19 PM
"Our target must be Santa Claus. Yes, while he is a jolly old fellow with a stomach that wobbles like jelly, if we are to pursue a Christmas that is more conducive to human happiness, Santa Claus must go. Santa Claus is largely responsible for the materialistic circus that Christmas has become. These days, as early as October, Santa gets wheeled out and his head is thrown on commercials advertising anything from bras to the latest in barbeque technology. Toy companies can get away with associating a new glow-in-the-dark talking machete with Christmas not because of some groovy picture of Christ, but because of Santa. As Kasser and Sheldon write in their paper, Santa is a secular version of Christ “whose realm is that of material abundance”."

Amen brother, preach it! (LOL)

I have always thought that the debate on whether or not Christmas has anything to do with Christ has missed out on the point that Santa Claus has NOTHING to Christmas! Santa, as we now know him, was a clever marketing ploy created by Coca-Cola. All the anti-Coke/McDonalds/Nike people should stand together with Christians and other religious people to see this man gone!

But yes, I do think illegalising Santa is going a little too far.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Posted by YngNLuvnIt, Monday, 19 December 2005 5:10:55 PM
I'll vote for you James. Can't remember the last time I celebrated christmas in any form, except in business. I don't think it is even for kids as it just reinforces illusions in their minds. Kids are much happier when they are in reality in the big world, they spend their private time in their dreams and imaginings. Maybe this forced fantasy could have something to do with why xmas also creates the most domesic violence, holiday acccidents and road accidents.

Everyone slips into fantasy mode and when the fantasy doesn't play out, xmas is a drag again.

Only trouble is, what would humanity do then. lets have two days as couch potato's, now shops. no drivng, no one goes anywhere, just internet and phone parties. No accidents, no road deaths, now BBQ blowups, no holiday drownings, save money for holidays, no cooking. Ban everything for two days, except navel staring and nose picking.
Posted by The alchemist, Tuesday, 20 December 2005 6:12:16 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy