The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Racism in Cronulla > Comments

Racism in Cronulla : Comments

By Duncan Kerr, published 14/12/2005

Duncan Kerr argues Australia and the Howard Government must take steps to prevent the breakdown of our community.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. All
Part II

A critical issue is that Sydney beaches and some streets have experienced people who really do scare women and families with weird, racist, sexist behaviour. They often demand to be recognised as being from elsewhere yet do not like being singled out on that basis by others.

I'd ask that state-level & police leaders lead. We do not want them to crap on about sensitivity towards other cultures, gangs or the virtues of swearing and violence and then release manuals and guidelines, we want them to prosecute crime.

Avoid the BS, single out the troublemakers but avoid debate reconstruction that goes easy on constituencies; acknowledge that both sets of idiots are not the bulk of us out here and then speak positively but accurately why this is a fantastic country and how we can keep on keeping on.

Finally, since not all our Leaders are leading, I think it's up to us to lead and wish everyone in Australia, particularly in Cronulla and those of Lebanese background a genuinely Merry Christmas and best wishes and goodwill for the New Year.

A genuinely Merry Christmas to you all.
Posted by Ro, Wednesday, 14 December 2005 11:48:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wre come off it my Grandfather didn't fight a die in ww2 to defend your beach culture or women’s "right" to wear thongs (in fact women would have charged with a crimal offence back then). He fought for democracy and the rule of law. If people were having their rights inhibited then they had recourse to the law. Having only seen pictures a the ugly mod I would say that the crowd didn't seam to be marching in support of Aussie values i.e. democracy and the rule of law. Most of them look like young drunken stupid blokes looking for a fight and not even understanding what they were there for. There can be no doubt that some people on both sides wish to enflame the situation but mod violence is unAustralian no matter what colour or religion you are.
Posted by Kenny, Wednesday, 14 December 2005 11:57:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Spot on Duncan,of course you can expect to be jumped on by those who are so blind they cannot see. The Yobbo ,redneck mentality can not comprehend the result of Howards policies has marginalised sections of our population who consequently react,not against the real villains but our home grown racists who have been actively encouraged by the likes of Alan Jones who has excelled at fanning the flames of intolerance.
Anti social behaviour by an ethnic group should be dealt with under our anti-discrimination laws just as Vigilante retaliation should be nipped in the bud.
Australia is a Nation of Migrants who all sought freedom from violence and persecution.
Howard would be well advised to attend to uniting our multicultural communities instead of undermining them for the sake of electoral gain.
Posted by maracas, Wednesday, 14 December 2005 12:02:19 PM
Duncan Kerr is one of too many in Australia who do not comprehend that racism is fundamental in human nature; that there is no society on earth in which racism does not exist be it overt or covert.

Racism derives from the tribal instinct for tribal survival; it has been with us since the first homo sapiens evolved, and was probably part of the behaviour of the first homo erectus.

Notions that this basic instinct can be devolved by the 'proper thought' of political correctness or any other idealistic notion is arrant nonsense: indeed, with the continuing increase in the population density of our planet, the tribal survival instinct is more likely to strengthen.
When we combine this instinct with the further divisions between people which came with religious ideology we have a volatile mixture which is destructive to the coherence of any society.

We in Australia are seeing, at this point in time, the beginning of destruction of the coherence of our society.

The ideological notion of 'multiculturalism' as it has been applied to immigration in the last quarter century,is destructive, and will continue to be destructive. Prior to the notion of 'multiculturism' we became a greater nation from the many cultures which contributed to the development of Australia: cultures which, importantly, blended into a monoculture.

The future of Australia, an Australia which can grow into a great monoculture, rests with excluding from immigration those cultures which are either incapable of blending or, where the culture is significantly different to the current blended culture, by restricting the input to a level which precludes the creation of subsocieties.
Posted by Gadfly, Wednesday, 14 December 2005 12:13:19 PM
Kenny as a lawyer I'm more than familiar with the rule of law- my grandfather fought for this country too and was imprisoned in Changi because basic legal tenants went missing during WWII so don't patronise me. Unfortunately the point you missed is that most Aussies don't even know what 'the rule of law' is much less appreciate the loaded concept of 'democracy'.

The bottom line is the things most Australians hold dearest, like the right to go to the beach and wear whatever they like are underpinned by the rule of law. Of course both sides are to blame. I blame the the Bra Boy surfers. I blame the Cronulla Caucasian thugs. And I blame the LEBANESE gangs who descend on Cronulla and Surfers Paradise to cause trouble.

What I object to is being called a racist for calling a spade a spade.
Posted by wre, Wednesday, 14 December 2005 12:21:11 PM
Id rather the community does breaks apart and real leaders who have the balls and brains to organise and unify Australia will make the right moral decitions for all Australians both colored or white which previous governments have procrastinated on for years in reforming properly our immigration systems and laws that have lead to this tradjedy.

People seem to thing that racism is a bad mental illness, but we are all born with it. It is a surival instinct in our pre-history to protect our "tribal families" or now as we call it in our modern world races. Racism is obviously as it causes major violent outbreaks, but the crude and sadistic benifits are that it maintains a balanced racial controll over a country.

It may sound racist I know cause i bet some people are thinking that I am racist maybe, which im not by the way. However its true wheter you belive it or not.
Posted by Hannibal Barca, Wednesday, 14 December 2005 12:24:55 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy