The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Back off Michelle Leslie - time for honesty about lying > Comments

Back off Michelle Leslie - time for honesty about lying : Comments

By Mirko Bagaric, published 5/12/2005

Mirko Bagaric argues Michelle Leslie was right to lie to get out of an Indonesian jail.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Of course were all glad she got out. Wish that other girl had as well.

Its importent to remeber
Muslim or non muslim …. Michelle DOES NOT have to do or change anything as an Australian muslim women she is free by Australian law to wear bikins, drink beer (even even a hell of a lot of it), cuddle pigs or have sex with any man or woman or transsexual they want to. She may even want to criticize Allah who knows.

She IS FREE to do all this under Ozzy law.

There is no sharia and there will never be sharia. Never forget for a second we are actually free here
Posted by meredith, Monday, 5 December 2005 6:01:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I heartily agree. Being Muslim doesn't give you ownership over Islam. I laughed when all these self appointed imams started crawling out from under their respective rocks to complain about Michelle's attire. Personally, I think they were angry at her because she was a muslim woman in a situation they couldn't control.
I thought she looked lovely in her veil.
I didn't think gee, she's a muslim?
Wasn't so long ago Catholic women wore head cover, you know.
At the end of the day it's a piece of clothing.
And I don't care whether she lied or not. That's her business and her situation.
She is free.
Posted by Zealot, Monday, 5 December 2005 6:36:32 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I really don't know why we are still talking about Michelle Leslie. Maybe in this case she was just a handle for Mirko to hang an article onto.

I am a regular visitor to Bali. Not a problem, I don't do drugs [apart from the local spirit, arak, which goes well with Coca Cola]. But I would be prepared to say and/or do all sorts of things to avoid a holiday in the so-called Kerobokan Hilton.

I think it is probably worth mentioning that, although Indonesia is predominantly Muslim, Bali is 90% Hindu, with small Muslim, Christian, Buddhist and Animist minorities . And in Bali, they all get on very well indeed, a wonderful example of tolerance.

Muslim females in most parts of Indonesia are under no obligation, legal, religious, family or social, to wear a veil or hijab. And some who do choose to wear a hijab team it with things like little tops and very tight jeans.

I have an English born [white Caucasian] friend who lives in Bali and his wife is a Muslim from the island of Java, where Islam is the predominant religion. She never wears a hijab and neither did several female members of her family when I met them at a barbecue. And one of her aunts who lives in Java has converted to Christianity, without any unfortunate repercussions.

I just mention this because there are probably a lot of misapprehensions about Muslim Indonesia. Yes, corruption of various kinds is endemic, but do we kid ourselves on that corruption is rare in Australia?
Posted by Rex, Monday, 5 December 2005 7:17:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"So the notion of national sovereignty cannot be used to justify draconion laws".
So then who on earth then has the right, God given or otherwise to decide on that one.
It seems now that since the end of the cold war the west, or rather certain aspects of it have taken the right to decide to others what THEY think is right and what THEY think is wrong.
I detect a sense of racism here where those from a western extracttion have taken on the concept of cultural seperiority at the expense of everyone else.
The catch phrase "Human rights" has been diluted beyond all recognition and is now used as Trojan horse to peddle any western value be it decadent or otherwise.
Its morally unacceptable.

Gavin Staples.

Cambridge UK.

http://www.gavinstaples.com
Posted by dicky, Monday, 5 December 2005 10:42:38 PM
Thank you Mirko Bagaric. Now I understand - as long as it suits me, I can lie all I like.
What a load of garbage!
Posted by ElJayel, Monday, 5 December 2005 10:46:17 PM
Its not the lies of a desparate prisoner in a corrupt system I'm concerned about. Its the half-truths, distortions, exaggerations and other misrepresentations of the media that report on her. In the light of their reportage, week in, week out, for nothing more than ego and crass profit, her defense arguments pale to insignificance.

I may not believe everything that an accused person may say. But I am crystal clear on how much I trust the majority of contemporary media.
Posted by Greenlight, Tuesday, 6 December 2005 12:11:06 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy