The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Meet the family - 'On Line Opinion' reader survey results > Comments

Meet the family - 'On Line Opinion' reader survey results : Comments

By Graham Young, published 2/12/2005

Graham Young reveals the results of a November 2005 survey of 'On Line Opinion' readers.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All
I enjoy the passion which goes into the comments. Reading the comments it's hard to believe that we - the great unwashed - are accused of being apathetic.

It doesn't matter if you're Left wing or Right wing because all comments are equal. That even applies to retired politicians. They don't show much intelligence when they are walking the corridors of parliament so why should we hang on every utterance that spills from their lips. Retirement is hardly likely to improve their thinking.

To ALL posters: keep up the good work.
Posted by Sage, Friday, 2 December 2005 9:40:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey,

Can someone contact me regarding advertising, i would love to help the team out if i could, and hopefully my companies range of services will benefit members.

Regards
Posted by Realist, Friday, 2 December 2005 10:16:05 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interesting read - meeting "the family".

Your deductions regarding the Courier-Mail were spot-on as far as I'm concerned. We have it delivered daily and yet I can rarely be bothered opening it, despite being an avid consumer of news and current affairs.

Your comments on the gender mix were interesting. My impression has always been that the majority of posters are male. But then I wouldn't really know because of the widespread use of pseudonyms. As a female I understand the appeal pseudonyms have in creating a level playing field, but I would actually prefer people use their real names. I feel it would add to the openness and accountability of the discussions. In my view if you feel strongly enough to write an opinion you should be able to put your name to it
Posted by Bronwyn, Friday, 2 December 2005 10:53:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, that certainly explains the disproportionate incidence of left/green posts. Green voters nation wide are only 5% but 26% here. It certainly explains some of the blatant attempts at stacking the trail of posts with the party line. It is standard green operating procedure, the most conspicuous one being the multiple votes lodged by a green staffer in the recent Victorian Alpine grazing debate. He was found to have sat there casting multiple votes for nearly two hours to stack a poll.

And the income spreads are also curious. It is quite likely that some of those responses are fabricated to put a more middleclass spin on the usual left/green mantras. This would obscure the fact that a large number of hard core greens spend a very high proportion of their time on the net, courtesy of the welfare system. The missing lower income Labor voters and Coalition voters, 90% of the population, are no doubt busy making a living.
Posted by Perseus, Friday, 2 December 2005 11:02:30 AM
The high readership of The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age certainly explains the left, holier than thou posters. I do use my real name and am accused of being female because fatheads assume only females spell it that way. These people also get a lot of other things wrong. I'm definitely in the minority, according to the survey, which means I am of one of the few who is getting what he wants in the way of Federal Government. Nah nah na nah nah!

I like the site, and am particularly amused by those people who think that it is better to disagree with other people and abuse them than it it is to state their own opinions. What it all comes down to in the end folks, is we that all get one vote each every few years. Don't take yourselves too seriously.
Posted by Leigh, Friday, 2 December 2005 11:24:42 AM
Well, it didn't take long for the usual prejudice-mongers to come out of the woodwork. Of course their comments speak volumes about themselves.

viz: The preponderance of people with only one name leads me to believe that the majority of commentators to this site are Rap Artists.

I belong to no political party. I exist in a world beyond the confines of those who find it necessary to hide behind a pseudonym.

Give it a bone, Perseus.
Posted by Chris Shaw, Carisbrook 3464, Friday, 2 December 2005 11:47:28 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy