The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Respecting hijab > Comments

Respecting hijab : Comments

By Helen Pringle and Shakira Hussein, published 26/10/2005

Helen Pringle and Shakira Hussein argue we should respect hijab and the choices women make.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. All
It doesn't matter how many US Southerners display their Confederate flags in acts of Southern pride, it will still be a symbol of racism. Similarly, if the original basis for the religious rule was the shamefulness of female sexuality, if it has been historically associated with the oppression of women, then it will take a long time for it to become a symbol of something else.

That is not to say that most of those who wear it here do so because they are repressed, they do so because of their religious beliefs, values and traditions. It cannot be denied that many now wear it as a symbol of political Islam (see it's increased use in Turkey), and that for a minority a contributing factor is the rejection of our culture's high importance on beauty & sexiness. Female empowerment in some circumstances yes, but a symbol of equality? Never.

"But only religious practices are targeted by the French law."
I would expect that other symbols of extremism are already banned, or their are school rules against them.

I only support religious exceptions in so far as it doesn't conflict with other needs and issues of fairness. But banning hijabs doesn't fight extremist Islam, having Muslim girls interact with non-Muslims in public schools instead of being sent to religious schools does, since it fosters tolerance on both sides.
Posted by Deuc, Wednesday, 26 October 2005 2:12:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Helen and Shakira, Thanks, Rainier.
Posted by Rainier, Wednesday, 26 October 2005 2:48:09 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The hijab is a symbol of oppression because women have been forced to wear it - that's why it's different from "purple hair and nose rings".

The only person I knew really well who took to wearing it was a lady in Indonesia who was still unmarried at age 28 - she said that to wear it was a guarantee of virtue that would stop gossip that she would otherwise attract for being (dangerously? immorally?) single. Hardly a religious reason.
Posted by solomon, Wednesday, 26 October 2005 5:34:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's worth considering that banning head coverings will affect women of other religions, like Jews and Christians.

As long as the woman has the choice of covering then there should be no issue.
Posted by Crusader, Wednesday, 26 October 2005 5:46:31 PM
Surely, so long as a woman isn't being forced to wear the hijab it is no-one's business except the woman herself and the people with whom she identifies and associates?

The only two things that I would add to this are that the woman's face should be basically visible, that is, she should be identifiable where appropriate. For instance, I have seen passport photos where the woman's face is completely covered, and no-one can tell if the holder of the passport is the person behind the veil.

Secondly, I would hope that the greater Australian culture should be able to demonstrate to change the minds of those males who may want to think that any woman who is not covered is immoral or fair game.

I have been amused however sometimes, (and I hope that this doesn't incite a flaming war about Islam, but I will say it anyway.) - I have been able to observe situations where men of Islamic background have been facing court for various reasons, the reasons being immaterial. So many of their female relatives and friends turn up at court wearing a symbollic head covering, with tight tops and jeans, with stiletto shoes and heavy make up.

I find this amusing, rather than anything else, after all, it is their choice to dress the way that they wish.
Posted by Hamlet, Wednesday, 26 October 2005 6:47:57 PM
It must be also alright to wear the hijab of the Klu Klux Klan.Can we now send our children to all state schools in the uniform of our choice.The hijab can be used as a subtle tool of intimidation.The message can be that we are different and superior to you.

By their own admission the hijab is not a religious practise yet they ask for dispensations on religious grounds.

The arguments always revolve around Muslim rights and how everyone else should accommodate them.Once upon a time migrants were so thankful to come to Australia that they gave up many freedoms without complaint just to enjoy a democratic way of life.

No other group or religion has caused us so much agnst.According to Muslims they are being persecuted and the rest of the world are the evil perpetrators.

Why do we not see articles condemning; terrorism,Muslim isolationism in our community,Muslim Crime in our community and muslims expressing how happy they are be be in Australia?
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 26 October 2005 7:22:21 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy