The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Respecting hijab > Comments

Respecting hijab : Comments

By Helen Pringle and Shakira Hussein, published 26/10/2005

Helen Pringle and Shakira Hussein argue we should respect hijab and the choices women make.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All
Is there a computer out there somewhere programmed to churn out hijab, burqa, and mantou (sp ?) topics?

Helen and Shakira are correct to argue that we should show respect for the black tent that muslim women wear. People are also correct in saying that we shouldn't respect the black tent. That is the normal discourse one expects in a democracy.

How 'bout Helen and Shakira take us down another road and broach the delightful subject of FGM? I'm sure they'd find some positives associated with FGM.
Posted by Sage, Wednesday, 26 October 2005 10:42:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Another attempt by a religion to get public support on their side and take over society. What we are seeing, is religious war being brought to our country. All the politically correct can do is support those that wish to harm us, psychologically and physically in the end.

The Hijab is a just a part of that, infiltrate, irritate, divide, conqueror. Just as forcing us to provide them with prayer rooms everywhere and stop us using expressions, celebrations and displays that may offend their religion. They don't care, just so long as they get their way, just like the politically correct. To say that the hijab is a statement of choice, yet neglecting the effects upon themselves and those around them, just typical of the self righteous selfcentred religious.

“Young women who are assertive enough to wear hijab in defiance of intense social, media and political hostility do not seem the type to passively submit to the demands of a backward misogynist culture”. Which they class western society as, backward, so they will do what they can to disrupt it.

“Most women who veil are adamant that the choice to cover is their own.” Just another religious way of saying, I am superior to you, so you cannot look upon me, for your mind and way of life is foul. Yet they say that in their own home they wear what they like. How insulting to the general community, such an arrogant expression of disdain for those that have given them the choice of freedom of expression, freedom of religion and freedom from suppression. They won't get that in any muslim controlled country. In Pakistan recently, a local area council decreed that women who wore coverings that didn't cover the ankles and hands, would be beaten and for a second offence, killed, lots of choice there.

Ban all religious expression, clothing or paraphernalia in public except on certain occassions and then they can be free to wear their coverings in their homes. If not why don't they go to a muslim country that will give them the freedom they want.
Posted by The alchemist, Wednesday, 26 October 2005 12:29:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fanon was right. Most people know almost nothing about Islam or its practices. I’m one of them. But I do not know anything about Muslim woman, unlike Fanon’s stereotype of non-Muslims. Hang on though, isn’t it the Muslims who are always complaining about stereotypes? Am I permitted by the PC-ers to think that I and other Anglo/Saxon Australians, or any non-Muslims for that matter, to claim that we are also stereotyped.

But, when ignorant old me suggested that there was no point in talking about headscarves until someone who knew could tell us whether or not women were required to wear them as part of their religion (which should, surely, make a difference to the discussion?), did a Muslim, including our resident maybe Muslim, come up with an answer? No!

As usual, the Muslims talk about what they want to talk about, but are not keen to answer questions
Posted by Leigh, Wednesday, 26 October 2005 12:45:52 PM
Why is it what women/men wear or not wear for whatever reason or purpose is a subject of discussion?

Are we turning into a society where everyone is 'so free' to comment on everyone else veil, purple hair, nose ring?

And why stop there, let everyone have enough freedom to snoop on their neighbours fridge and tell them what they should eat and wear and myabe what color should their car be.

This is not freedom but disguised fachism.
Hello, anyone home?
Posted by Fellow_Human, Wednesday, 26 October 2005 12:49:31 PM
I like the hijab: any perverse meaning that may haves been applied to is an expression of the rising paranoia amongst the foolish - a symbol of oppression, an act of defiance, a public rejection of "our" values - all these bleatings are from those who (a) dont wear the things and (b) have a very superficial understanding of the religion; sure there are cohorts of latter day koran experts spouting off thier own potted versions and interpretations but it is time they were told to mind their own business - i think i will do that now - Mind your own business!-

To all ye who oppose the hijab the burkha the crucifix, the yahmulka (and yes I cant spell either), the scapular, the turban, the priestly collar, the nunnerly robes, the bishops mitre, the loin cloth of the mystic, the pentangle of the worshippers of satan - give it a rest - go back to your bunkers and stock up on tinned goods and bottled water because it is you who are brining us closer to armageddon and the less we see and hear from you the better.

I suppose I could write something a bit more rigourous but on this subject it hardly worth the effort; hail the hijab I say.
Posted by sneekeepete, Wednesday, 26 October 2005 12:50:58 PM
I wonder if it is simply a poorly hidden attack on Islam it's self. After all noone seems to be telling Sikhs not to wear their Turbin's. I also seem recall a instruction in the bible requiring women wear a viel in church, now some sect do this are these same people having ago that them?
Posted by Kenny, Wednesday, 26 October 2005 2:06:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy