The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What is it with Corby supporters? > Comments

What is it with Corby supporters? : Comments

By Surya Deva, published 27/5/2005

Surya Deva argues the rule of law must be respected regardless of the jurisdiciton and no matter how unpalatable

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All
I was so disgusted with the rising anti-Indonesian sentiment I ceased radio interviews on the subject from midday yesterday. I have not seen such redneck reaction in Australia since the deaths of the Balibo Five in 1975.

I support the Indonesian verdict and suggest to that Corby consider herself fortunate that she was not caught in either Malaysia or Singapore which carry mandatory death penalties.

The Sydney Morning Herald posted a most objective opinion addressing most Australian's question as to why one would take 4 kg of pot to Bali. The Australian product sells for $20,000 per kilo and because of the entrapment problems associated with drug purchasing in Bali, foreigners trade between thremselves - The Australian product is superior to the hashish from Asia and is considerably more expensive.

I saw the Bahasa Indonesian version of Corby when she was caught cold at the airport. She admitted that the drugs were hers and identified the contents without opening the bag as Marijuana.
Kerry B. Collison
Melbourne
Posted by Author, Saturday, 28 May 2005 11:27:01 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Welcome to the world we live in is all I can say to those expressing anti-Indonesian sentiment here.

Just remember, many of you voted for a government that argues that its ok to lock people coming to our shores who just want to become Australians. How 'primitive' is that!

Not one peep from any of you on a young Australian citizen facing a death sentence in Singapore? (Well he's an Asian isn't he?...oh I get it
Posted by Rainier, Saturday, 28 May 2005 11:43:40 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't think there is anti-Indonesian sentiment in these posts, just an anti-corruption sentiment.
Posted by davo, Saturday, 28 May 2005 12:13:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you for a balanced article. If as you say the law in certain cases does not have the presumption of innocence, including some in Australia it is useful to learn of the situations in which this applies. Maybe wider knowledge by travelling people would be useful.
I think most of the arguments are emotive and have little basis in fact, after all we all believe in our being subject to law, not just when it suits our purpose.

This is the rub. It does appear true that in some situations the law can be avoided by appeal to sentiment, fear and greed. The Rycroft Memorandum of May 1 revelation is but one. Given such the blogs listed make more sense, for appeals to lies if backed by powerful propaganda, the media, and by fear or greed the law becomes hidden by emotive minds.
Posted by untutored mind, Saturday, 28 May 2005 12:25:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Davo says, "I don't think there is anti-Indonesian sentiment in these posts, just an anti-corruption sentiment.", but Philo earlier described the system of justice practised in Indonesia as "primitive".
As I understand it, the Indonesian system is based on the Dutch system which is... just different from our system, the Westminster system. They are a sovereign nation and are entitled to have whatever system they want and we just have to accept that if we want to visit Indonesia, just as they have to accept our system here, like the Japanese five back in 1992, found guilty on a drugs changes by an Australian court, when many of us were not convinced they were guilty.

Frankly I don't know, and none of us truly knows whether Schapelle was guilty or not. I certainly hope her new found Christian Faith is a great help to her now that she is convicted and that all her family, friends and well-wishers give her every support for however long she remains in prison.

That was quite a rant by Cranston36 about the evils of banning marijuana - all I can think of is the two young men I know personally who are now certifiable schizophrenics as a result of the use of marijuana.
Posted by David Palmer, Saturday, 28 May 2005 12:38:54 PM
Rainer,can we all pool our resources and build you a bridge to some where,so you can get over yourself.You are so predicable,playing the old racist card.Keep it close to your bosom,since your scope of enlightenment leaves you with little credibility,and satisfies your thirst for some noteriety.

So the media has run away with the story,but that does not diminish the enormous injustice Shapelle has suffered,whether she be innocent or guilty.
Posted by Arjay, Saturday, 28 May 2005 1:30:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All