The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Book review: God under Howard > Comments

Book review: God under Howard : Comments

By Bill Muehlenberg, published 23/3/2005

Bill Muehlenburg argues Marion Maddox’s book ‘God Under Howard: The Rise of the Religious Right in Australian Politics’ is neither objective nor balanced.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
So the reviewer was upset by an author based in new zealand who has published a view of the 'achievements' of each of the us and australian administration, as writ by the leaders of the day, in terms of how the religous right both has and continues to influence policy? so what? imagine how the rest of the public feels about the liberties that the governments in the us and australia have taken with us and our daily lives? in many instances, our values have been shredded! I personally felt that her views were rather tame in comparison to the steaming pit of indignation simmering just barely beneath the surface in each of our respective societies which these ill conveived notions of meshing church and state have brought in the quest for political advantage. the fallout, which I fear hasnt yet reached anywhere near its potential, will continue for a long long time. god under howard....I get the feeling that thats about where he wants to keep him, too.
Posted by omygodnoitsitsitsyou, Tuesday, 29 March 2005 12:16:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bill, Thanks for pointing out that this book is a load of left-wing hogwash.
Posted by Big Al 30, Wednesday, 30 March 2005 3:01:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is too funny. Muehlenburg criticises Maddox's book (which does seem wildly exaggerated) as a work of fiction and compares it to The Da Vinci Code. Meanwhile a spokesman for the Vatican, the archbishop of Genoa, Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, has attacked the Da Vinci Code: "The book is everywhere. There is a very real risk that many people who read it will believe that the fables it contains are true."
Ahm, yes, but isn’t your entire faith built around a book of fables which people mistakenly believe to be true?
Posted by greg_m, Saturday, 2 April 2005 11:53:24 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Muehlenburg: "Both (Maddox’s book and the The Da Vinci Code) can be viewed as works of fiction masquerading as non-fiction and, as with Brown, Maddox finds plenty of sinister conspiracies, shadowy networks of evil, and religious bogeymen".

They sound uncannily like the Good Book itself.
Posted by greg_m, Saturday, 2 April 2005 11:56:54 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The last couple of posts on this subject yet again bear no relationship to the topic under discussion (which is a book by Maddox and the resultant review, in case you didn't realise Greg). We are not discussing the Bible.

By all means disagree with either - or both of the former, but please get your facts right regarding the Bible Greg. You pose the somewhat flippant question "isn’t your entire faith built around a book of fables which people mistakenly believe to be true" yet clearly have no idea what you are talking about. The Bible contains an absolute plethora of indisputed facts and proven history.

Even the most active opponents of Christianity are not so ill-informed to question the validity of The Good Book (as you youself choose to call the Bible) from a factual persepective.

Oh, by the way, the Bible does also contain some fables - they are in fact referred to as Parables. Jesus himself told them as analogies to help people understand many relevant and powerful principles. You may actually enjoy some of them. There's a particularly good one in Mark 4 about a farmer sewing seed on rocks as opposed to fertile soil - have a look. You might find it very interesting! :)
Posted by Peter Howard, Sunday, 3 April 2005 12:54:49 PM
The article about howard (our lying PM) was spot on as far as I can assertain.He did and does lie - in a recent poll the majority of those polled said that they do not trust him. He did send his bag man (anderson) out to mostly coalition seats giving them money as did he, himself, not bribes of course!( Oh! the left wing pig that I am thinking impure thoughts of the people's hero, or is that a right wing trait - never mind someone will tell me, maybe it's the result of me reading the Bible) prior to the election. (Sorry Ringtail) - THOSE ARE FACTS! I worry about the forum members though. If any one goes against what these precious little petals think they are right wing, or left wing,or wingless perhaps brainless, or Bible bashers. I may have missed one or two but I do not recall having seen a Believer - as I am, castigate an unbeliever by sayiny something like "I would expect a first cousin of monkeys to say or believe that rubbish".Yet all or a lot of the agnostics (Means ignorant in latin I think),atheists, unbelievers and disbelievers and first cousins to monkeys rubbish believers for being believers.Of course the beliefs of forum members colour their views. Now go for me, let the abuse fly.
Regards, numbat
Posted by numbat, Sunday, 3 April 2005 1:54:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy