The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The tsunami is significant, but let's keep it in perspective > Comments

The tsunami is significant, but let's keep it in perspective : Comments

By Peter Curson, published 17/1/2005

Peter Curson argues that the tsunami death toll is directly linked to poverty in the countries affected.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
right on. But you make this point to people and they look at you like you are a baby murderer. It is bizarre.
Posted by Ben, Monday, 17 January 2005 4:55:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Professor Carson- you are technically right, those other ones would be the biggest for the fact that very few Australians also perished in them.

Therefore, this is the biggest natural disaster the world has seen. (or is it that "Australia has seen") We didn't technically have to look at those other ones!

But for me, the biggest disaster that the tsunami showed up is that 1.2 million children are trafficked each year globally.

30% are from the Asian region, which is about 400,000 such kids stolen for adoption, sex or labour.

That’s each year- now surely that is a tragedy that should meet with a concerted response bigger then the wave generated.

But then again, many of the aid agencies are up to their eyeballs in trafficking kids- so I guess not!
Posted by J Christian Murray, Monday, 17 January 2005 5:11:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I too am more than a little unsettled by the response to the tsunami - according to the British Medical Association, at least 100000 Iraqi civilians (of whom at least 60000 were women or children) have been killed by the 'coalition of the willing' since their invasion of Iraq.
I find it appalling that this disaster is tolerated, and ignored, by our society.
I guess accidents are horrifying, but deliberate acts of murder and destruction are acceptable.
Posted by ElJayel, Monday, 17 January 2005 8:21:50 PM
There are many horrors in the world that need our input financially or otherwise. Unfortunately people tend to sympathise only with something they understand or can see. That's why the tsunami has had such a huge response, yet we still treat people in our own country badly. Take sufferers of mental illnesses. We are not tolerant of them at all, yet someone who has cancer or a physcial disability will be treated with sympathy and understanding by most.
Posted by aussie2, Monday, 17 January 2005 11:03:31 PM
Ben and Jayne are in effect baby murderers. And having read all this, I withdraw all my pledges of financial support. This thing was just nowhere as big as marketed.
Posted by Seeker, Tuesday, 18 January 2005 12:12:51 AM
is it a result of the term 'tsunami'? 'Tidal wave' is not a sexy term. Of course we all empathise for those poor battlers having their lives washed away, but General Wiranto did not stop shooting in Aceh.

All of the aid agencies need exposing too. Indonesia is a totally corrupt place and I urge all readers to avoid that Bali holiday.
Posted by Brownie, Friday, 28 January 2005 10:10:01 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy