The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Bob Collins made some powerful enemies and now they want revenge > Comments

Bob Collins made some powerful enemies and now they want revenge : Comments

By Brian Johnstone, published 21/7/2004

Brian Johnstone refutes the smears against Bob Collins

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
As a person who worked extensively with aboriginal people in Maningrida in the 1970's and knew Bob Collins well, and a person who was assisted by Bob Collins in the aftermath of Cyclone Tracy I must state that never in all the years that I worked at Maningrida did I ever hear a bad word said about Bob Collins. In my close knowledge of Bob I always found him to be totally approachable on issues and that even went to being able to walk into his Darwin parliamentary office at any time in thongs etc (no need to dress up) and have a fruitful discussion on matters of importance to aboriginal people. In my opinion he was a trustworthy person and a person who kept his word - which is an attribute that normally fails to be found in many politicians. Bob Collins was not into deception. The charges levelled against Bob were very serious but I for one cannot believe any of the allegations made against him. I salute Bob. A most worthy and considerate Australian. Vale Bob
Posted by MANGROVE, Sunday, 23 September 2007 5:54:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This man was above the law as he saw it and as he behaved towards it. His mates in the ALP were blind to his past. The charges against him were all similar and came not just from the NT but from across the land and extended to the land of the long white cloud. In the NT we only heard about some of the interstate charges. He turned up to legal proceedings when it pleased him and nothing was done by the law to make him appear. The history of his activities may never get to Court. Well and good his mates may say, but those young folk who were damaged will never see their matters resolved in any way.Almost 10 years ago I was aware that the NT police were after him for some of his [alleged] activities. The NT police were also waiting for him to come back into the NT with charges, when he had his accident on a straight bit of road.
He had his accident [ or was it?] and from then on seemed to be untouchable.
If there was a predatory ring of abusers in the NT he may have well been found to be one, had the law acted to deal with this fellow and the charges against him in a timely manner. But not now, there can be no justice for the damaged souls for which Bob Collins should have been held accountable. Shame on all those who failed to act in a timely manner when the facts were put before them.
Posted by Mex, Monday, 24 September 2007 12:26:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Although I said I knew Bob Collins for many years I havs absolutely no knowledge of any of the pedophilic behaviour that is alleged to have occurred in Arnhem land. My problem is that I heard of many instances of young aboriginal girls being sexually abused - in what was euphemistically referred to as 'tribal business'. And I knew plenty of aboriginal people from Cadell River. I spent a lot of time on the Cadell River. But once again I never heard any 'stories' about Bob Collins. I was quite shocked when I heard stories in the press a couple of years ago. And I was working, as I said before, more closely with aboriginal people than most 'balanda's'. And I would often meet aboriginal girls and boys. And would always address them 'Na Merri nee neya' / 'Na Merri Nee. To which the answer would be 'Mainmuk'.
Posted by MANGROVE, Monday, 24 September 2007 6:45:10 PM
I don't know anything about bob collins,
other than what I read in the news papers
(like today's front page story that he abused a 12 year old in his parliamentary office)

but I am more concerned with the question :
why is it that so many local aboriginal people I speak to express anguish and shame at their collective vilification as 'child abusers' (that's howard using his tools of hate and division - you may know it as 'wedge politics' - to push through a long held agenda of weakening land rights)
but when a big white man is actually under investigation for those crimes, we are repeatedly told we should respect his life of service to the community?
and what about all the rapist priests? I never heard any plans to compulsorily acquire cathedrals and appoint administrators to every parish ...

How should we understand this chasm between the standards applied to different instances of child abuse?
racism.

www.federalintervention.info
Posted by justin b., Tuesday, 25 September 2007 9:52:20 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To Justin B. You are absolutely correct that the Howard Government is trying to weaken land rights. The problem for the Government is that they have no real rights to aboriginal land. That is why they want to get rid of the permit system. And the leasing of aboriginal lands for 99 year leases etc. That is like the pastoral industry. For the aboriginal people they need direct financial assistance and the Howard Govt offers them cash etc if they sign up for leaseholds over their town centres etc. In the old phrase 'the aboriginals re being held over a barrel'. Now back to Bob Collins. I am still shocked by the allegations but if the evidence stands up against him 'beyond resonable doubt' which is as we know is the 100% burden of proof then we can all feel betrayed. But in my case I know of no allegations and I am talking about six years of near continual work around Maningrida in Arnhem Land.
Posted by MANGROVE, Tuesday, 25 September 2007 5:46:57 PM
Regarding Bob Collins, it's pretty obvious the only people who knew about his extra curricular activities were those who he allegedly abused. He obviously wouldn't be telling anyone about it himself. This is confirmed by the statements of everybody and his dog who tell us they
"knew Bob". The discussion has now moved onto Aboriginal issues, the Federal intervention, and how land rights are under threat. Mangrove says he knew about young girls being sexually abused in Arnhem land, however he apparently failed to report it. I can tell him that once the permit system is removed, this type of abuse will be reported by those who suffer it. This intervention is absolutely necessary to force black people to lift their game, right across the board. Those who oppose it, quite simply, want to see the status quo remain, for whatever reasons. These people, with their vested interests, are not working in the best interests of black people.
Posted by The Lone Ranger, Wednesday, 3 October 2007 11:05:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy