The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Beware the Green/Labor 'super profits' tax – it could be coming to ruin an economy near you > Comments

Beware the Green/Labor 'super profits' tax – it could be coming to ruin an economy near you : Comments

By Graham Young, published 29/8/2024

The super profit is thought to be 'surplus to requirements' so the government might as well take it away and redistribute it to someone who needs it.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Bandt is more Sheriff of Nottingham than Robin Hood: always the baddie.

Imagine the chaos if this maniac is relied on by that other maniac, Albanese, in a hung parliament after the next election.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 29 August 2024 8:07:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'd prefer an Incompetence Tax for politicians once they lose office !
Posted by Indyvidual, Thursday, 29 August 2024 10:40:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In Norway the government set up the Government Pension Fund Global (GPFG) so that the wealth benefits generated from they natural resources would provide benefits for both current and future generations.

The first money transfers to the fund took place in 1996.

In 2010, just 14 years later, Prime Minister Rudd proposed a "super profits" tax on the mining industry.

This was one of the major causes of his downfall.

In 2010 the GPFG had a market value of 3,077 billion kroner.

In 2022 the GPFD had a market value of 12,429 billion kroner.

Talk about lost opportunities.

The Norwegian petroleum tax Taxation is based on net income at a marginal tax rate of 78%.

I think many Australians delude themselves into thinking that they are millionaires in waiting and therefore any tax is bad for them.

Australians seem addicted to voting against their own best interest.

As the Guardian reports: "A record number of super-rich Norwegians are abandoning Norway for low-tax countries after the centre-left government increased wealth taxes to 1.1%."

This is an increase of 0.16%.

Will this ruin the Norwegian economy? Probably not, but it my alert everyday Norwegians that the rich will avoid their tax responsibilities by fleeing the country.

This just adds more weight to the benefits of a tax on profits.

Even East Timor has a "super profits tax" with its Timor-Leste Petroleum Fund.
Posted by WTF? - Not Again, Thursday, 29 August 2024 11:03:20 AM
Too true wtf. There are the Norwegians making a killing from fossil fuels and here is Australia being led to oblivion by koala clubbing anticoal antinuke catasthophists. I've never been witness to stupidity of this magnitude in my own country.
Posted by Fester, Thursday, 29 August 2024 1:17:19 PM
I'm not surprised by this article from a conservative who still believes in the well and truly discredited trickle-down economic effect. Put simply, trickle-down allows for the mega rich to get richer, with little or no tax, then have faith that with fervent prayer and a Christ like miracle some of the crumbs from the rich mans table will fall and "feed" the rest of society. No the result is the rich get richer, and the poor can go to hell. A super profit tax on resources owned by every Australian is a no brainer!
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 29 August 2024 5:30:39 PM
I rather see companies making profits through employing workers than Govt bureaucrats getting paid top Dollars for achieving nothing but the emptying of our coffers in return for economic & social woes.
Companies reinvest in people, what do bureaucrats invest in ? Why even blue collar workers have to pay top Tax for over 50 years in order to receive the pension. Bureaucrats can salary sacrifice & spend their undeserved Dollars literally stolen from the Nation in other countries on their holidays. Give me a company any day over a bureaucrat when it comes to benefitting the Nation ! At least companies & their workers give back something, bureaucrats on the other hand ....??
Posted by Indyvidual, Friday, 30 August 2024 8:49:34 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy