The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Glaciers, graziers, glaziers, and the strangler fig > Comments

Glaciers, graziers, glaziers, and the strangler fig : Comments

By Gabriel Moens and John McRobert, published 31/5/2024

In the transition to so-called 'clean energy', vast areas of land are being devastated and sterilised, destroying natural habitat and good farmland, covered with devices that will be junk within one or two decades.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Interesting Bezza. Thanks.

The story I heard about Chernobyl (Russians tell a lot of stories) was that the nuclear technicians wanted to restart a reactor before the Xenon 135 had dissipated, so they began to remove the fixed control rods. At a point the neutron flux started accelerating and the technicians tried to control the situation by jamming the control rods back in, which made things worse. Anyway, that's the explanation I was aware of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCbms6umE_o
Posted by Fester, Friday, 7 June 2024 11:19:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Actually Fester I suspect that the two explanations are a different
view of the same incident.
Posted by Bezza, Saturday, 8 June 2024 4:25:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bazz,

I didn't know that containment vessels were useless with a graphite moderator, so thanks for that, but the point I was making was that graphite moderated reactors are safe if used properly.

Cheers
Posted by Fester, Saturday, 8 June 2024 10:51:07 PM
graphite moderated reactors are safe if used properly.
Fester,
So would everything else including Govt & Bank online services !
Posted by Indyvidual, Sunday, 9 June 2024 10:45:36 AM
Indyvidual,

Chernobyl is the worst disaster that could happen to a nuclear power plant and such a disaster could not happen with the passively safe designs today.

Nature now thrives in the exclusion zone, which is really not so surprising when you consider that there are places on earth with natural radiation levels 60% as high.

http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2014/ph241/christensen1/

Renewable energy. Now that is an environmental disaster in the making. It is especially nasty as its prior economic harm means that there will be fewer resources to deal with the problems.
Posted by Fester, Sunday, 9 June 2024 7:53:36 PM
Fester,
Yes, the renewable energy hype is already costing us too much in every aspect & the sooner this gravy train pulling the bandwagons can be put off the rails the better for our future.
If & what a big if it is, the bureaudroids in authority & the brainless in the education system were to be made responsible for their pushing of renewable energy, the sooner we could save the worst environmental disasters this planet is now facing !
I'm dismayed at the stupidity of so many educated people ! I suppose parasitism has no limits !
Posted by Indyvidual, Monday, 10 June 2024 8:08:07 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy