The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Glaciers, graziers, glaziers, and the strangler fig > Comments

Glaciers, graziers, glaziers, and the strangler fig : Comments

By Gabriel Moens and John McRobert, published 31/5/2024

In the transition to so-called 'clean energy', vast areas of land are being devastated and sterilised, destroying natural habitat and good farmland, covered with devices that will be junk within one or two decades.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
This seems to be saying we need to burn stuff to ward off another Ice Age. Too bad if we run out of stuff to burn. Those greenhouses elevate internal CO2 in winter then open the vents in summer. I suspect urban sprawl consumes more good farmland than wind and solar farms. The irony is more people need more food but make it harder to produce food.

I agree that wind and solar farms are a blot on the landscape. For most of May 2024 wind power was minimal at times like 400 MW out of 11,000 MW. Yet they stood there like uninvited statues while out of sight gas plants made up the deficit. One day it will be a crisis.
Posted by Taswegian, Friday, 31 May 2024 8:29:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
https://youtu.be/_-OX-ZNAN-I
Posted by Indyvidual, Friday, 31 May 2024 9:19:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hello Taswegian. It would be better to communicate person-to-person so I know who I am talking to.
Nowhere did we say ‘we need to burn off stuff to ward off another Ice Age’. Ice Ages come and go regardless of the activities of mere mortals. Planet Earth is a ball of minerals and energy, and the best we can do is to use the relatively puny amounts we can access in order to survive and give our descendants the best system and tools to help them survive. We will never run out of anything (eg Loy Yang brown coal reserves are estimated at 168 billion tonnes that they are currently mining at 30 million tonnes per annum). Reserves in the rich Bowen Basin are still being discovered after 50 years of mining since I stood on the Hay Point Berth at 1.30 am one morning after a rather tense commissioning to oversee the first lumps of coal drop into the hold of a Japanese bulk carrier, the first of 1 billion tonnes of coal since exported from this terminal. The vast Galilee Basin has scarcely been scratched. Fossil fuel reserves are mind-boggling figures. Use of unjustly maligned fossil fuels has given mankind unprecedented well-being and ability to mitigate the impact of extreme natural events. Fossil fuels have given us breathing space to develop better and more efficient power sources. Technology can continually improve, if we don’t go back to living in caves to where the mass madness of net zero targets is leading.
Posted by John McRobert, Friday, 31 May 2024 1:07:38 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nice article. Like many catastrophists, the disaster is not from their predictions but of their own making. Personally I like the fun fact that humanity would become destitute and nearly all would die were the use of fossil fuels to cease. The sad side is that every Australian will suffer from the economic catastrophe following from the insane pursuit of net zero with wind and solar.

A warmer climate means more water in the atmosphere and more rain. There is research being done suggesting that such a change might be an improvement.
Posted by Fester, Friday, 31 May 2024 4:05:13 PM
People fall into one of two categories, masochistic or sadistic.

It’s sadist driving the climate change agenda onto the subservient masochistic masses.

The curse of politics and sadistic politicians, will hasten the demise of our society in painful and disruptive ways, as only wars can!
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 31 May 2024 11:10:27 PM
"Taswegian" should look at John McRobert's bio to see who he is dealing with.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 1 June 2024 8:25:57 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy