The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Do we have free will? > Comments

Do we have free will? : Comments

By Peter Bowden, published 29/5/2024

In his book Free Will Sam Harris confidently declares 'we know that determinism, in every sense relevant to human behavior, is true'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Okay Yuyutsu, I appreciate your efforts to try and make your position coherent but I don't think you succeed. In the end I think you just continually contradict yourself.

Presumably you will think that I have arrived at this conclusion because that is just what God causes me to think. If that should be correct, that God is causing me to think as I do, then there is nothing I can do about it! But again, I don't think that is correct.

Thanks again for the discussion, but I am going to leave it there.
Posted by JP, Sunday, 2 June 2024 3:54:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear JP,

May God bless you, and keep safe.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 2 June 2024 9:08:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We are driven by an elaborate set of instincts.
These make up the basic person.
We can add to these with learned behaviour.
We also have the ability to reason.
So we can control, to a useful extent, all of the above.
This ability to control is the free will of which we speak?
As long as we can reason, we have this 'free will'.
Whether we use it or not is another matter.
Some cannot.
Such as serial killers etc.
Their instinctive behaviour overrides all other considerations.
Posted by Ipso Fatso, Sunday, 9 June 2024 4:43:37 PM
Are there boundaries on how we apply that great attribute of reason?
And hence our free will?
Yes there are.
We all realise that there is 'safety in numbers'.
So we willingly belong to a group.
In any group there will be a great diversity of attitudes and opinions.
So compromise will be needed to reach a set of common goals and behaviours.
These are largely outlined by our system of laws.
There are also other 'standards' to which we adhere.
These are usually of a relatively personal nature.
Together, they all contribute to the 'culture' which exists in our society.
Posted by Ipso Fatso, Monday, 10 June 2024 2:32:55 PM
I generally support Sam Harris but maybe that's the way he justifies his gayness to himself. I enjoyed the Sam Harris / Jordan Peterson's God debates. Physicist Roger Penrose wrote the Emperor's New Mind and refers to quantum consciousness. Determinism looks different from the point of view of quantum mechanics. The 'deterministic free will' view seem to be variations on the "End of History" "and why are we here" themes which have been done to death. Sam Harris is generally very thoughtful and so his arguments are bound to be interesting.
Posted by Canem Malum, Thursday, 13 June 2024 6:28:51 PM
The comment that implies that the Dog/ Human cultural relationship is encoded genetically is interesting- and contradicts Marxist understanding of culture as being a purely nurture based phenomena.
Posted by Canem Malum, Thursday, 13 June 2024 6:32:42 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy