The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > We can’t afford nonsense anymore > Comments

We can’t afford nonsense anymore : Comments

By Stuart Ballantyne, published 3/5/2023

As the new Captain of the 'Australia', I would promptly see the ship heading for the rocks financially and physically and take immediate remedial action by getting rid of anything we can't afford.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Some good points, some not so good.
An interesting essay to start the day even if a bit whimsical.
Posted by ateday, Wednesday, 3 May 2023 8:21:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
An interesting life. And a lot of good sense. I hope we are going to hear a lot more from this bloke.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 3 May 2023 9:33:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We can't afford to have unskilled aboriginals who don't speak the language and won't assimilate themselves to our values either.
David
Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 3 May 2023 10:39:51 AM
What we cannot afford is to sell even more of our economic sovereignty. We need to be captain of our own ship not deckhands employed for peanuts by the foreign owners.

We need nuclear power the way a drowning man needs a lifeboat. But I personally would choose our own and controlled by us alone, thorium and 100 years of, walk away safe, power at 3 cents PKWH or less. I would ask various co-ops to tender to run and control same.

Uranium fired SMR can do the same for around 30 years as stated. But, for not less than 6 cents PKWH. And will likely see the grid further controlled by foreign price gouging, tax avoiding, profit repatriating foreigners. Albeit, nothing prevents us building them here and exporting them as good to go energy plants.

Cheap power is the key to a quite massive economic recovery and debt even if 2 trillion dollars, draw down. Agree about the Labor party as a, new idea free and science free zone.

We can disagree on a couple of things but not much more than that. See much merit in the bulk of the article.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 3 May 2023 11:29:26 AM
Stuart Ballantyne is not just a sailor, he's also a whinging old Tory who can't accept the decision of the umpire, in this case the people of Australia.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 3 May 2023 4:38:24 PM
When I read this, my first thought was: 'pie in the sky'.
My next thought was: 'now let's get back to reality'.
Then, 'Fairy Stories' are fine for a distraction, but that is all.

Were people all exactly the same, it might work.
However, we are not all the same.
Any system must take in to account the complex and very varied needs of its citizens.
These citizens might not all be 'right', but they still need to be 'happy' with the way life unfolds.
Posted by Ipso Fatso, Wednesday, 3 May 2023 9:00:45 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy