The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > John Howard: a sense of balance > Comments

John Howard: a sense of balance : Comments

By Everald Compton, published 22/9/2022

He believes that we have survived because we did not let any crisis upset our sense of balance and this has enabled us to set the basis for a robust future for our nation.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Paul whined: "My earliest recollections of Howard was his dogged support of the Vietnam War".

Howard got into parliament in 1974. The war was over by then!!

Paul whined: " he dodged military service"

Conscription started in 1964 for people who were 20 yrs old. Howard was born in 1939. I'll leave Paul to do the maths to work out if Howard was eligible. (Note: he might have to take his shoes off to calculate it.)

Howard did many fine things for Australia not the least of which was the reform of a disastrous tax system via the GST. Both sides knew it was a required reform but only Howard was brave enough to argue it before the people and get it passed.

But his greatest service was during the Asian financial crisis. Under different leadership (by that I mean ALP) we might have made all the wrong calls. But Howard held firm and unlike almost all other nations affected, Australia emerged from the crisis strengthened rather than weakened.

In my lifetime, Australia has had two truly worthy PMs. Hawke remains the greatest of those. But Howard is a close second. I fear the nation and culture that bred these greats has passed and their like won't be seen for a long time.
Posted by mhaze, Friday, 23 September 2022 12:02:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
mhaze,

Howard was still hanging around Sydney Uni in the late 60's, early 70's, organising and addressing small counter protests to the main stream anti-war protests. I can recall seeing a demented Howard on the lawn near the Quadrangle, with a megaphone raving like the fuhrer to a small group of the like minded fanatics. Nothing to do with PARLIAMENT.

If you were gung-ho like Howard, there was nothing to stop one from VOLUNTEERING FOR VIETNAM. The Australian Army at the time accepted recruits up to the age of 35. Howard could have enlisted anytime between 1957 and 1974. Menzies like Howard was the prize coward, there was no conscription in Australia during WWI. Menzies was the perfect age for military service turning 20 in 1914. unlike 90% of young men, Menzies stayed at home.

mhaze learn history.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 23 September 2022 3:46:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Howard was still hanging around Sydney Uni in the late 60's, early 70's, organising and addressing small counter protests to the main stream anti-war protests. "

He graduated from Sydney Uni in 1962 !!.

The rest is pure fabrication by Paul. As usual.

Laughably he thinks his fantasies are history.
Posted by mhaze, Saturday, 24 September 2022 8:59:35 AM
mhaze,

Talking about fantasies?

Still supporting Trump and think that Cardinal Pell
was innocent?
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 24 September 2022 10:01:01 AM
Anyone who has the slightest faith in our judicial system knows Pell is innocent. Those incapable of admitting error cling to their mistaken fantasies that he was proven guilty.

But for some, wanting something to be true means it is true. Reality eludes these people.
Posted by mhaze, Saturday, 24 September 2022 12:17:33 PM
Reality certainly has eluded "those" people.
History will judge them.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 24 September 2022 1:06:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy