The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Pietas - foundations of counterculture > Comments

Pietas - foundations of counterculture : Comments

By Sarah Flynn-O'Dea, published 12/7/2022

The most glaring difficulty is the pre-eminence of scientific rationalism, that has tended to write the importance of narrative, imagination, emotion and transcendental truths out of human culture.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
This is one of those ivory tower acidemia studies that focuses exclusively on the symptoms rather than causes.

It worries about the rise in mental health issues and other outcomes without a single sentence to the causes. Identifies with western education/culture from a lofty academic position and gives it more merit in context than it truly deserves.

When it comes to mental health, we know the cases increase exponentially with increased population pressure and crowding. Ditto the crime rate, none of which is helped by a toffey nosed academic with her nose in old books of dubious merit or real intellectual value? In the context of a modern industrial society.

When what we need are concrete solutions not pious musing based on classical literature?

Solutions include rapid transit to eliminate overcrowding in cities where folk are crammed together like tinned sardines. And energy solutions (nuclear, i.e., MSR thorium) to power them that are limited to what is allowed on the table, much like the first council of Nicosia where pagan sun worshipper Constantine decided what was in and what was out of the early bible and religious practice!

Then there is the flood and fire mitigation issues and possible solutions that ought to be on the table at this terrible time for the, ignored contemptuously, victims! Sorry if I have offended, but by nature I don't suffer fools gladly.
Alan B.

No, let's put our noses into this or that old volume and wait for the other real issues to go away?
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 12 July 2022 11:10:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
He who seeks shall find.

I am not that familiar with classical culture, but from this article it seems that some of the classical ancients have also tapped onto the eternal principles of spirit and right-living.

Wisdom is common and does not depend on this or that culture. Wisdom is available to all those who want it, but not to the social majorities who for the last 5000 years or so (thus including both Christian and classical cultures) have been materialistic and uninterested. It would be senseless to try and persuade the majorities into pursuing that for which their hearts and minds are not yet ready.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 12 July 2022 12:59:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It would be senseless to try and persuade the majorities into pursuing that for which their hearts and minds are not yet ready.
Yuyutsu,
That's about as realistic as it can be described. What we need is to find a way of instilling a mentality of seeing the environmental impact of un-needed want !
Posted by Indyvidual, Thursday, 14 July 2022 9:02:50 AM
Thanks for the article Sarah Flynn-O'Dea. I think that every child would benefit from Classical Literature- (this seems to mesh well with Indyvidual's? comments on National Service)- a few I would single out are The Republic, Gibbon- perhaps initially in shortened form- maybe an animated video. I enjoy the commentary from Prof Patrick Deneen on this topic.

Reading Classical literature enables people to see history and society in evolutionary rather than absolutist terms.

The pen and sword in accord!
Posted by Canem Malum, Saturday, 16 July 2022 10:07:29 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy