The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How to bring in more migrants > Comments

How to bring in more migrants : Comments

By David Hale, published 4/5/2022

If we can issue 160,000 skilled migrant and family visas a year, in addition to temporary visas, we can take in more refugees.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Canem,
>Bringing in immigrants and refugees into Australia probably makes the
>world safer for the tyrants they are fleeing from
Possibly, but it's not safety that tyrants typically seek - they prefer a bit of chaos so that they can spin their own tyranny as a source of stability.

>and makes the world less stable by destroying sources of stability like Australia.
The tyrants often use this kind of slander, but why are you? Where exactly did you get the notion that refugees are destroying us?

>Strange to see an Anglican Lay Chaplin promoting policies that appear to be diluting
>British Culture and Ethnicity.

Australia's ethnicity has always been different from that of Britain, and in both countries the ethnic makeup has changed over the past few decades. Nothing to worry about.

And as (I think) Terry Pratchett once wrote:
England isn't heaven, despite what some poets have said.

>We should be helping those wanting immigration and refuge to change their nations
>into something more like British Culture.

Those who are fleeing are usually powerless to change anything, let alone the culture of the nation they're fleeing from!

Culture is dynamic, constantly changing. British culture has become more like Australian culture. And if you're arguing for more Australian cultural exports, I'm inclined to agree (though I hope Neighbours gets replaced with something better).

Australia is a multicultural nation. That doesn't mean everyone keeps the culture of where they're from; it means that everyone's free to determine their own culture.
Posted by Aidan, Thursday, 5 May 2022 6:55:28 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jayb,
You said
>Just as well that Australians are not really good Christians.

That's what I was asking if you thought being a religeous desert is preferable to. Do you?

As for Islam, there are many interpretations of it, not all of which involve strict adherence to the dogma (which is indeed their undoing). But generally the stricter they are, the more likely they are to be the cause of persecution, and the less likely they are to run away from it.

>Mind you, War & Pestilence does serve a purpose. It keeps the World Population down to a manageable level.
That argument may have had some credibility before the contraceptive pill was available, but now it has none at all. People tend to have enough children to ensure their lineage continues. War and pestilence result in people having many more children then they otherwise would, as they overcompensate for the threats.
Posted by Aidan, Thursday, 5 May 2022 6:57:32 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aiden: War and pestilence result in people having many more children then they otherwise would, as they overcompensate for the threats.

Oh, I agree. Prime examples are the Middle East & most parts of Africa.
Posted by Jayb, Thursday, 5 May 2022 7:30:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aidan,
You really need to be exposed to working for all you have & receive. Your attitude would change dramatically regarding the definition of refugees & good samaritans.
Canem Malum's description of charity is about the most helpful & thought provoking you could ever expect to be given to think about. Think about it !
Helping someone in need is humane, giving everything to someone pretending to be in need is plain Societal suicide !
The evidence is circling us !
Posted by individual, Thursday, 5 May 2022 7:42:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aiden said- "Australia's ethnicity has always been different from that of Britain, and in both countries the ethnic makeup has changed over the past few decades. Nothing to worry about. Australia is a multicultural nation. That doesn't mean everyone keeps the culture of where they're from; it means that everyone's free to determine their own culture."

Answer-

If I think there is something to worry about- there's something to worry about- I definitely need to worry about idiots that feel they need to tell me what to believe- and try to deprecate my beliefs- probably because they have alternate foreign interests.

Just because some idiot asserts that Australia "is" or "should be" a multicultural nation doesn't make it so. Many Australian's and the cultural engineers themselves believe that British Australian culture and ethnicity is being undermined. Another example of nefarious people telling others what to believe.

It's sad that many people fall for such simple psychological techniques as telling them what they should believe.

There are laws and departments that seek to prevent everyone from determining their own culture and ethnicity such as the Equal Opportunity Commission- bigotry in the name of objectivity- even if it was objective it wouldn't be valid- defund the EOC.

It's usually about power- social engineers and con artists will try to steal your heritage for their own power. It's often been said that if you're not growing you're dying- perhaps this is why humans always go to war- there are those that talk peace but increase their manuveuring. Rather than seeking to take more of the pie- grow your own pie.

My sense is Aiden is a creepy dangerous nihilistic communist traitor.

The Cato Institute mentioned in David Hale's article says it's Libertarian but says it hails from the Austrian School of Economics apparently a bit of a fringe group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cato_Institute
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_School

Thanks Individual for your feedback.
Posted by Canem Malum, Thursday, 5 May 2022 10:38:56 PM
Indvidual,
Calem's description is a strawman. Nobody's suggesting we give everything.
But Australia's attitude to refugees has been antichristian. We're not only failing to help many who need it, but also preventing refugees from helping themselves. And when we prevent people from helping themselves, we shouldn't blame them for depending on us.

ISTR Australia is spending far more on deterring refugees than on helping them. We should make better use of that money, and try to make refugee immigration profitable.

Canem,
People don't choose their ethnicity. And how Australia treats people certainly shouldn't depend on whether their ancestors came from Britain. Sure, maybe you think it should - but if you do, the vast majority of Aussies abhor your racism!

Culture doesn't depend on ethnicity nor on the EOC - it depends on values, interests and lived experience. But I am rather curious as to why you think the EOC has prevented anyone from determining their own culture?

> My sense is Aiden is a creepy dangerous nihilistic communist traitor.
Creepiness is subjective so I can't refute it, but I'm not a physical danger to anyone - though I suppose I could be a threat to a few of those overreliant on the status quo. I'm a Christian not a nihilist, and I'm pretty sure no self identifying communist would regard me as one of their lot. Maybe you could contrive a definition that includes me, but it would probably include ten million other Aussies too.

And why would you regard me as a traitor when I've broken no agreement and I genuinely want what's best for Australia? Is it because I let what Jesus said and did inform me as to what the best actually is?
Posted by Aidan, Friday, 6 May 2022 2:39:42 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy