The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > We said nothing, and then they came for us > Comments

We said nothing, and then they came for us : Comments

By Graham Young, published 16/2/2022

Now they've come for Joe Rogan, and maybe that matters more because he's kind of the average Joe – neither freak nor Republican – but will we do anything?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I remember chanting 'Convent dogs sitting on logs eating maggots out of frogs'. Hiding behind a hedge to avoid nuns 'advancing' towards me. Being threatened with the local Catholic school (and nuns) if I didn’t mend my ways. Intermarriage was rare, and discouraged. I still occasionally think about a Catholic girl I have not seen for more than half a century.

What we all ignored was that most of us proddies never saw the inside of a church, whereas the micks often went several times a week.

In post Christian Australia, religious divisions no longer matter; but we are tearing ourselves apart over things that have replaced religion.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 16 February 2022 9:04:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A clear and thorough summary of what is happening and how we reached this point
Now is the time to draw your line in the sand.
I refuse to be drawn into the nonsense of cancellation, safe spaces, or special treatment for groups
We must return to the challenging simplicity of treating each person with respect and treating yourself with respect.
Posted by Truth Seeker, Wednesday, 16 February 2022 9:17:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ttbn,
Off topic, but your jingle reminded me of another one from childhood.

‘The Salvation Army had no sins,
They set off for Heaven in kerosene tins,
The kero tins hit a telegraph wire,
And they came back to Earth with their shirts on fire.”

Kero tins and telegraph wires are long of the past.
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 16 February 2022 9:28:58 AM
Is Mise,

"Kero tins and telegraph wires are long of the past".

Fortunately for many people the Salvos are still with us.

Thanks for the ditty. I haven't heard that one before.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 16 February 2022 9:41:12 AM
I thought we'd put all this rubbish behind us. With fewer and fewer attending church and fewer and fewer listening to pulpit pounding mouth frothing looney tunes with power and control issues. I don't give a rats about my neigbours religious beliefs or practice! Or how they vote or what social or environmental issues floats their boat! I have my own views and reasons for holding them! Never forget that the most important voice in the room is the dissenting one! And sometimes some folk find that an intolerable circumstance? Particularly those who listen to Trump and his truth free rants!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 16 February 2022 10:32:52 AM
What if Rogan is one of the leading vectors of the encroaching darkness while pretending otherwise. And the legitimate boycott of him by Neil Young et-al is a good example of how the market for free speech and ideas really works.

Check out the essay featured on Alternet by Ari Paul titled Defenses of Joe Rogan aren't about free speech - they're (about) right-wing solidarity.
Posted by Daffy Duck, Wednesday, 16 February 2022 11:33:43 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy