The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > We said nothing, and then they came for us > Comments

We said nothing, and then they came for us : Comments

By Graham Young, published 16/2/2022

Now they've come for Joe Rogan, and maybe that matters more because he's kind of the average Joe – neither freak nor Republican – but will we do anything?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Hasbeen,

Yeah - bring back the Sisters of Mercy like
Sister Mary Virgilius and her cane - which she
used with great gusto. Yay!
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 17 February 2022 2:26:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Hasbeen,

You write: “What the hell would you expect. When a Christian school tries to stand up for it's religious values it gets attacked by the woke from all directions, & it's head is forced to resign.”

Are you bloody kidding me?

This country has been captured by the Christian right. We now have over 30% of our students in faith based educations up from under 10% 4 decades ago. We also have chaplains funded in all our schools both private and state based. There are very few OECD countries which even come close to this.

We use to pride ourselves on being a proud egalitarian and secular society yet you seem to have totally forgotten that and joined the faith floggers.

Damn I miss my Australia of old.

As to the article give me a break. How on earth does Graham get away with using Niemöller’s quote about the Jews in reference to a couple of singers pulling their Spotify songs?

This is what the right and people like Trump do, they claim victim status when they are the ones doing the bullying and hectoring and it is pathetic.

Rogan is hugely successful and very important to Spotify. I admit to listening to him quite a bit but there is no doubt he is using his platform to spread dangerous misinformation.

It is perfectly appropriate that Neil Young in free to withdraw his material in protest from the streaming service. More than that he is the one taking the moral stance not Rogan. But that gets twisted around by people like Graham.
As to the cancel culture at its most fundamental it involves the withdrawal of one’s own money or other support from a person of organisation. It has become the new democracy in my opinion, often employed by those who feel the traditional parties do not represent them.

In a very real way it is the economic rationalists who have created this world and now are the loudest complaining about it.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 17 February 2022 5:25:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SR I'm a state school kid, but from when state schools had teachers who knew their subjects & could teach them.

My kids are all atheists like their parents, but 2 of my grand kids go to a catholic school. They go to it as it is the only school worth thinking about sending any kids to in the area, & catchment rules mean they can't chose a state school in any other area.

They are both getting a reasonable education, have lots of extra extracurricular activities, & no religious requirement. Perhaps others are sending their kids to faith based schools for the same reason, that state schools are lefty woke ratbag run today, offering a very poor education if anything.

A friend was a senior biology & junior math teacher in the state system. He was told he was to teach senior math B & C. When he told the head he couldn't even do math C he was told to "just muddle through". He quit of course, but god knows what the poor kids copped teaching math.

Only an idiot would send their kids to most state schools today.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 18 February 2022 2:17:36 AM
I wouldn't know much about the Sisters of Mercy Foxy, although I did hear some rumors of less than merciful teaching methods some employed. The only contact I had with catholic schools was thrashing their football team with our high school team.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 18 February 2022 2:26:54 AM
Hasbeen,

My experience with Catholic schools has not been a
positive one. But in all fairness, I guess all schools
have their flaws. Nobody's perfect. A great deal depends
on the staff and the school's ethos and what they want to
achieve. There have been some really excellent public schools.
We as parents need to provide a safety net for our kids at
home as well as take an interest in what goes on at their
schools. Personal involvement and interest helps a great deal.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 19 February 2022 9:14:15 AM
Yes Foxy, my lady & I established & ran a school textbook hire scheme for the P&C at our local 1700 student high school for 10 years. Not only did it save the parents about 50% of the cost of books & other equipment, but gave the P&C over $150,000 a year to put into the school.

In a school of 1700 kids we could only manage to recruit an average of 20 parents for working bees, repairing old books, & covering & cataloging new books.

This happened under a great head master, who managed to run a happy ship, with great discipline & spirit. We lasted only 18 months after he retired, & a new head master allowed discipline fall apart, & the spirit of the school disappear. The people both at the top, & in the bulk of any school is what dictates it's character.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 20 February 2022 12:48:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy