The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Plastic is fantastic! > Comments

Plastic is fantastic! : Comments

By Ken Calvert, published 11/10/2021

Plastic can be put to so many helpful and efficient ways. Waste plastic should be burnt by municipalities.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Another of these non event "problems" green ratbags like to dream up.

I was a plastics conversion expert way back in the 60s, so do know a bit about the toxicity of the most used plastics. Most of the engineering plastics are totally non toxic. You could eat them, & they would pass through you with no effect. Most packaging plastic decomposes so quickly they they had to use minutely holed drag nets to find anything to complain about.

Some of the others such as plasticised PVC used in electrical insulation are very mildly toxic, but you wont find them floating around at sea. The copper takes them to the bottom, where tectonic plate induction will ultimately take care of them.

I spent years sailing around the Pacific islands. I have visited dozens of little islands, & sand cays hundreds of nautical miles from anywhere. Many not visited in decades if ever, & yes you find a minute amount of plastic flotsam on these beaches, but always in it's last stage of decomposition, the minute remains simply adding to the coral sand forming the beach or cay.

It is a real pity that ratbag greenies can't find something useful to put all that worry to. They might be able to do something slightly useful if they did.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 11 October 2021 11:25:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What is needed is a recycling process that strips all plastics out of
the rubbish flow and a disolvent that is a mixture that each part can
attack a particular type of plastic.
I believe there is a Nobel Prize awaiting the chemist that achieves that.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 11 October 2021 2:55:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Meanwhile particles of micro-plastics can now be found in the bodies and the blood of nearly all human beings, including babies. This will of course increase over time.
In my opinion such particles do not belong in the human body. What short and long term effect will these micro-plastic particles have on human health, on the human microbiome and thus on the brain and nervous system, especially on foetus's, babies, toddlers etc etc.

Some/most practitioners of Integrative Medicine such as Steven Gundry point out that the presence of such plastic micro-particles do have a negative effect on the microbiome and thus on ones overall neurological development and well being. Such micro-particles include the "ink" used for cash register receipts which is begins to be immediately absorbed when you touch it!
There is also the phenomenon where millions of micro-plastic particles are used as cheap fillers for all kinds of consumer products including food items and personal care products..
Posted by Daffy Duck, Monday, 11 October 2021 6:43:19 PM
Aidan, what Mr Clavert has said here about Christiana Figueres is as close to a word perfect quote as possible. I watched a video of here actually saying so within the past week. That is her goal within the UN.
Carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is not dangerous to anyone or anything in the proportions that are expected within the next century.
From my recent readings, the transfer of plastic nanoparticles into the blood stream and entry into brain tissue has been a supposition and not proven.
Similarly, with ingestion into animals, including humans, there has been no indication that they either bioaccumulate or cause any adverse health effects while present in the body.
One study that I am aware of found that when breaking down in the marine environment, when present in the bodies of small vertebrates on the death of the animal they sink to the bottom and end up enclosed in the natural detritus of the marine path.
The danger in incineration of PVCs is if the temperature is not closely controlled they can create the somewhat unpleasant dioxins which can and do cause adverse health effects. This is however a problem that can be managed.
Posted by Jay Cee Ess, Monday, 11 October 2021 8:31:49 PM
Plastic should be recycled and by small efficient co-ops. And when it has been recycled s much as poss? Then it needs to be ground and mixed with waste oil, waste rubber and finely ground glass to make asphalt/road topping? The key to that outcome and thousands upon new jobs, is, finally affordable, reliable, clean, super safe energy!

And the only energy that fits that description is MSR thorium or MSR retake to burn and reburn donated nuclear waste!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 11 October 2021 9:19:53 PM
Isn't there a problem with road surfaces made from various recycled
products being turned to very fine particles into the air ?
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 11 October 2021 9:45:31 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy