The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Vaccine passport opens the door to ugly segregation > Comments

Vaccine passport opens the door to ugly segregation : Comments

By Campbell Newman and John Ruddick, published 15/9/2021

Recent polls suggest most Australians support vaccine passports. History is however littered with examples of a temporary popular opinion being dead wrong.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Vaccine passport prohibitions will exclude significant numbers of hungry people from entering a supermarket.

The alternative of home deliveries comes at a significant and unaffordable cost to too many.

And that ladies and gentlemen, is but one downside!

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 15 September 2021 8:50:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A tad unrealistic. Almost certain I'll need a vaccine passport to get back into WA to see my sisters. 100% certain I'll need it to re-enter US or EU to see my children.

Coercion is as coercion does. I seem to recall the author achieving instant political oblivion, over highly dirigiste asset sales and public service sackings.
Posted by Steve S, Wednesday, 15 September 2021 8:59:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Recent polls suggest most Australians support vaccine passports".

That means nothing. Australians are too frightened of dying to start living; they will do anything Big Brother tells them to do if it keeps them "safe", the poor, ignorant creatures.

I am fully vaccinated, but I will not be patronising any business that starts demanding to see 'passports', and I don't believe businesses will be doing that anyway. The UK has already dropped the idea as impractical, and only idiots will say, 'I don't want your money unless you can prove that you are vaccinated'; they have lost enough money to political and bureaucratic lunacy already.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 15 September 2021 9:02:20 AM
In contrast to totalitarian Australia, the UK ditched Covid passports and will be also ditching the rest of the draconian restrictions in the near future. Australia continues to be the "medical Jim Crow", and the laughing stock, object of derision, around the world.

If Australians do actually support passports, they look pretty stupid against new research that suggests that "domestic vaccine passports increase hesitancy and distrust of governments.”

"Liberal democracy in Australia is in intensive care, while in other parts of the world, life is being breathed back into it."
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 15 September 2021 9:33:44 AM
Firstly I have so little respect for either of these two.

Newman rightly got turfed after a term for his nastiness and idiocy while Ruddick was one of those morons who attended an anti-lockdown rally unmasked and rightly got a $1,000 fine.

I fully support vaccine passports for the short term and probably into the medium term while we have so many people dying form a disease which is 10 times more deadly than the flu. However there should most definitely be a sunset clause.

I understand vaccinated people can get and spread the virus albeit at far less numbers than the unvaccinated. However during this pandemic I would certainly prefer to fly in an aircraft populated with fully vaccinated people and any airline which enforces this at the moment has my custom.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Wednesday, 15 September 2021 10:38:21 AM
Arguing against vaccine passports or "green passes" as other jurisdictions call them is a tad like whining that the earth is flat.
Get over it.

Regardless of whether ScoMo will introduce it:

1. The "leaders" of WA and QLD will no doubt deny entry to anyone who cannot prove their corona status;
2. Businesses throughout Australia have the right to ensure their staff and customers are kept safe from known communicable diseases and to be sure, legislation will follow to strengthen their hand;
3. Airlines, foreign ports and possibly Australian airport facilities themselves will deny entry to those without adequate proof of their corona status; and
4. Contrary to popular mythology, we do not have the rights the anti vaxers claim we do. Last I looked we had no bill of rights.

I look forward to the Feds disallowing the un-vaccinated hospital treatment for the account of Medicare. If the socially irresponsible want the freedom not to be vaccinated, sure, let em at it. I along with others, want the freedom not to pick up their foreseeable hospital bills.
Posted by Jonathan J. Ariel, Wednesday, 15 September 2021 11:23:26 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy