The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Don’t fall for the Activist’s Fallacy > Comments

Don’t fall for the Activist’s Fallacy : Comments

By Lorenzo .., published 23/7/2021

Intent is not the only thing to judge policies or theories on.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Perhaps my experience is different from the normal, but I have found that most people who are against x are usually for y, so there is no fallacy. I have given up caring about "trans" and "racist" gabble, so Lorenzo's thoughts on those things don't work for me.

I gave up after I attempted the second page. I have read a lot of real philosophers, but Lorenzo doesn't seem real to me. He identifies as an "educator" and "accidental small businessman". I prefer my philosophers to be the real deal, not just writers who think using arcane language entitles them to presume to know what others think, or that boring on an epic scale lends respectability
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 23 July 2021 9:50:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Contra ttbn Lorenzo is a very sophisticated philosopher and social theorist, much more sophisticated than most/all of the usual suspects who publish essays on this forum.

Meanwhile Western civilization, and the USA in particular was founded on religious, political, economic and racial lies all of which are now being rigorously questioned. Lies which reinforce the notion that the white man was born to rule the entire world

And by the way all human interactions at both the individual and collective level are based on power relations - inevitably so because there is always self and other in the growling pit.

All activist groups whether secular or "religious" are plagued by self-serving fallacies and distinctions between their stated always self-serving intentions, and their political actions in the world which in one way or another always reinforce and extend their power in the world, even while oft-times pretending otherwise.

By far the biggest, oldest and most powerful activist group/institution is of course the "catholic" church which has always pretended to bring its cultic "god", "jesus" and civilization to the entire world, even claiming an entirely bogus "divine mandate/commission" to do so. Historically it has even used papal (pay-the-pal) bulls to give legal "authority" to its political actions in the world, especially the blood soaked conquest of the "new" world.

And of course the world is full of activist outfits which in one way or another are quite openly seeking to gain political power for themselves or their financial and political supporters. This is especially the case with right-wing religionists with much/most of right-wing "religion" being a form of individual and collective psychosis.

Some examples of such double-minded activist right-wing religionists
which in one way or another seek to impose their world-view on to everyone else.
Australia
http://au.thegospelcoalition.org
http://www.acl.org.au

Sites which present a critique of such US based outfits.
http://blitzwatch.org
http://www.av.org/tags/project-blitz
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/organizations

Then of course there is also Opus Dei which has enormous behind the scenes power much of which is surveyed on this truth-telling site:
http://opentabernacle.wordpress.com
Posted by Daffy Duck, Friday, 23 July 2021 1:08:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
tbn,
>I have found that most people who are against x are usually for y, so there is no fallacy
That itself is a fallacy.
Ignoring the minorities is often the cause of the problem!
Posted by Aidan, Friday, 23 July 2021 1:43:20 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Daffy Duck and his profound insight for the day!

*...Meanwhile Western civilization, and the USA in particular was founded on religious, political, economic and racial lies all of which are now being rigorously questioned. Lies which reinforce the notion that the white man was born to rule the entire world...*

Pathetic! If you really wish to know what twisted is, look back on your own contributions to this site. psilocybin mixed with Ashram.

What fixes your own stupid in my mind, was a reference you made in the past, as evidence to dignify your lost cause, was Watchman Née.

You are pathetically lost.

You would be well advised actually, to take on board the basic teaching of Christianity, which in every way, points to progress of civilisation, and a spiritual view of life with foundational (including historical), evidence at its “Base”, and step away from charlatans and miss fit religions, with an equivalence to Jimmy Jones’s Temple of God and a thousand suicides at one stroke.

ADI Da is totally discredited on every level. Wake up!

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 23 July 2021 2:51:41 PM
I won't! Nor will I have other folk form my opinion for me on any topic or other folk who may differ in race or culture or sexual bias!

Unlike the labor party, I don't have a no nuclear stance because it's party policy! This is both mind control and thinking inside the box and asinine fallacy writ large!

Even so, policed by a small band of vociferous activists, Who shutdown debate almost as soon as the word nuclear is raised by those who still own their own minds!!

Nonetheless, quite happy to waffle on about fusion (bottle a tiny it of the sun and 12,000C) given this could be centuries away and is costing a motsa to run extremely expensive experiments on!

God help us if this particular Genie gets out of the bottle and begins to devour the planet!

And so dumb given MSR thorium delivers everything fusion promised but is yet to deliver! And given this technology is retasked to burn nuclear waste. Thousands of years of free power made from a material we are paid annual millions to store.

And we would but only after burning it a couple of dozen times to extract the remaining available energy. At which time w are left with a far less toxic product with a half-life of just 300 years. And eminently suitable as long life space batteries
Alan B/
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 23 July 2021 3:10:21 PM
The Catholic Church has a history that includes burning sears at the stake. Centuries where sword-wielding bishops lead bloodletting armies into battle against disbelievers. Putting around six million Muslims to the sword. And centuries of buggering boys and raping adolescent girls or both.

Moreover, much of what occurs inside these edifices, is based on this or that pagan ritual. Nor is there anything in scripture, that makes the, around 700 years old, confessional Legitimate! Nor the so-called sacrament of marriage! Which is a little over 300 years old as Church practice.

The latter examples are little more than instruments of control which begins very early with, faith-based belief, indoctrination! Litle of which may have a basis of proven truth!? But plenty of brainwashed ignorance?

No offence intended!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Saturday, 24 July 2021 12:18:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy