The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Peter Ridd case is too important to be left to the courts > Comments

The Peter Ridd case is too important to be left to the courts : Comments

By Graham Young, published 2/7/2021

If Ridd loses, then, without remedial action by the government, academics become mere cyphers of their universities, unable to strenuously critique the work of their colleagues.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Dear mhaze,

Mate, that reads like something from a shellshocked victim.

It's alright son, things are going to be fine. This isn't sheep stations.

Happy to oblige in the most direct language possible since it seems to be the only thing that will calm you down.

You demanded: "Just a simple statement that you'd like Ridd to have the same rights that you demand for ABC jounos."

Yes I would like Ridd to have the same rights that I demanded (demand is a bit strong for what I said but doesn't matter) for ABC journos.

To be quite specific since that is what you have 'demanded', I want Ridd to be able express his opinion freely on his personal social media accounts.

Of course that isn't just what he did was it, he did the march through numerous rightwing media spots saying his some of his other academic colleagues couldn't be trusted.

So the question for you is should the ABC journos be given the kind of freedom you have clearly advocated for Ridd? Or are you going to be once again deeply hypocritical on this issue?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 6 July 2021 12:51:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SR, unhappy that I didn't play the game he wanted, asks yet again...
"So the question for you is should the ABC journos be given the kind of freedom you have clearly advocated for Ridd? Or are you going to be once again deeply hypocritical on this issue?"

I wrote this yesterday so obviously you've forgotten....

"Yes. I support them being able to say what they like on twitter etc.

Actually I'm very much in favour of ABC journos saying what they like on their chosen social media. It helps to show just how spectacularly biased the whole organisation is and how the entire ABC class is to the left of Mao."

"saying his some of his other academic colleagues couldn't be trusted."

So did you decide to ignore the link I posted this morning? Good idea if you want to continue believing the narrative.
Posted by mhaze, Tuesday, 6 July 2021 1:09:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SR,

This is why Ridd chose the money over reinstatement:

"The Federal Circuit Court, which in April found the dismissal was unlawful, on Friday said Dr Ridd would now be seen as "damaged goods" and the university had "poisoned the well".

Outlining his final declarations and penalties, Judge Salvatore Vasta suggested the university's conduct bordered on "paranoia and hysteria fuelled by systemic vindictiveness" and Dr Ridd must have felt he was being persecuted. He found the academic's intellectual freedom had been undermined by the "myopic and unjustified actions of his lifelong employer".

"In this case, Professor Ridd has endured over three years of unfair treatment by JCU – an academic institution that failed to respect the rights to intellectual freedom that Professor Ridd had as per [his enterprise agreement]," the judge decided."
Posted by shadowminister, Thursday, 8 July 2021 7:12:58 AM
Dear mhaze,

Mate, I responded fully to your question when you pulled me up. I'm doing the same to you now.

This is what I asked:

“So the question for you is should the ABC journos be given the kind of freedom you have clearly advocated for Ridd? Or are you going to be once again deeply hypocritical on this issue?”

The freedoms you are advocating for Ridd go well past an ABC journo commenting via personal media don't they.

I put the question again to you. Should they be the same?

Ridd was most certainly commenting in his official capacity which is why the Code of conduct pulled him up.

Should ABC journos be permitted to do that without censure?

Shadowminister,

Judge Salvatore Vasta's judgement was overturned by a higher court like Pell's conviction. Why have you gone back to it?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 8 July 2021 5:09:37 PM
SR,

Can't take 'yes' for an answer.

Yes, my preference is that ABC journos should have unfettered rights to say what they like within and without their job. Just as Ridd needs to have unfettered freedom of speech within academia.

I can't help but notice that you have assiduously avoided the link I posted showing why its important that Ridd et al be able to criticise the cabal running GBR research within JCU.

As to ABC journos, the more they talk the more we see their true selves. So let 'em yak it up, I say.
Posted by mhaze, Friday, 9 July 2021 8:31:53 AM
SR,

You were the one claiming that Ridd was more interested in the money than being employed at JCU, that Vasta's judgement was overturned does not invalidate his observation that the relationship between JCU and Ridd had deteriorated severely making future employment untenable.

Also, all public servants are expected to perform their duties under the government of the day irrespective of its political stripe which is difficult if they display an overt bias against the government which is why in most democracies public servants especially in the media are required to steer away from overtly political statements. The ABC staff seem to be given a lot of latitude and are pulled up only when they get abusive.

University academics are not actually public servants and are not bound by the same strictures as public servants and in fact, universities are supposed to encourage the free expression of ideas. Universities like JCU while professing to encourage free expression clearly have moved to suppress this by putting up vague and subjective codes of conduct that can be used to censure inconvenient, unorthodox or politically incorrect people or ideas.
Posted by shadowminister, Friday, 9 July 2021 11:30:08 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy