The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Angels and Demons > Comments

Angels and Demons : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 13/4/2021

Tough-minded people like 'facts', and they are materialistic and pessimistic. The tender-minded rely on principles, and they are idealistic, dogmatic and optimistic.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
The word missing from the essay is "balance"; or getting the balance right, if you are on that [right] side of attitudes. And of course, it also comes back to the left and right sides of the brain, doesn't it?

Those whom we label as "poor" are often very happy- spiritually, if not economically. The poor are happy in spirit; and do not need the wealth to make their lives miserable. Greed may be in our culture, but it should not be so.

And we try to forget forget that many of us are descendants of criminals from Great Britain- brought out in chains long ago; is how we like to put that situation?
How can we sit in judgement of poor people who have committed no crime and wish to live in our community? Is that rational? Is it just?
Posted by Cyclone, Tuesday, 13 April 2021 10:14:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm tough minded on almost everything, which help in analysing information http://gentleseas.blogspot.com/

and in leading those who supply me with information http://gentleseas.blogspot.com/2021/04/indias-6-future-alpha-ssns-ssbn.html - scroll down to the 13 comments.

But the chink in my armour is being tender minded about women I'm not responsible for. Basically whatever the marriage of romantic relationship I've been in I always look where The Grass is Greener. Hence see http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=9452&page=0#318837

"Thanks for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgZNo2HEFgg

It's uncanny that the "redhead" on the right is the spitting image of a Belarusian-American, from the US Department of Homeland Security, I had an internet "romance" with many moons ago. She had a crush on my fake "Young Errol Flynn" photo (I used my real name of course and finally admitted the Errol photo wasn't me). Are, those were the days my friend. I thought they'd never end :) "

This Grass is Greener fixation has broken 2 marriages and other relationships. But then again this gives me more time to write.
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 13 April 2021 10:18:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's more the practical minded against the weak minded: the Right against the Left. Unfortunately, tragically, there are not enough of the former and far too many of the weak minded Left.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 13 April 2021 10:48:58 AM
Politics is the only game in town, and there are just two players: Liberal and Labor. Labor is moving further to the left, and so is the Liberal party, becoming what Labor used to be. There is little hope for Australia.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 13 April 2021 11:01:43 AM
We are becoming less tough minded as we grow wealthier, but are we actually growing wealthier?

We don't have to live in a dirt floor tin shed while we build a small house, as we, & so many others did after the war. No we can now borrow a kings ransom to mortgage a McMansion to live in.

We no longer have to tend a veggy patch, or eat rabbit, even catch it ourselves to spread the food budget a little further. No we buy some concocted stuff of doubtful source packaged to heat in the microwave, because we are too busy working to pay that mortgage to grow, hunt or cook fresh food. We have to spend the time we used for such activities traveling long distances to our place of employment, to pay that mortgage.

Are we richer? Not really. I have lived on a few atolls in the Pacific. The locals don't have much. They have a small house that took just 2 days to build mostly of palm fronds. The mostly live outside. They have a canoe, not a car. It took then up to a month of an hour or 2 a day to hollow out the log. Some have radios, but the batteries will be flat if a copra boat has not recently visited.

Who is richer? Is it them with nothing to spend the little money they have on, or us, always struggling to pay the mortgage, school fees or car repairs. Perhaps it should be them sending us a few bob.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 13 April 2021 12:31:06 PM
Hi Hassy

Given there are Aussie blokes/gals:

- not still paying mortgages,
- didn't make the mistake of living in sky high priced, traffic jammed, Syd or Mel,
- not running, insuring, maintaining all the cars one bloke has
- no boats, be they windjammers or big motors
- don't gamble (not even brain-in-limbo pokies, or horsies)
- no kids at home (all grown up)
- no spouse/dependent to blow your savings,
- no women (straight or lez) to spend your money to buy that $10K-20K ring for themselves

All in all there are some blokes who live within their means (on very little super)

Then where is your EITHER/OR ISLANDS paradise (Tonga? Samoa?) now hassy?

ISLANDS where most overeat, buy overpriced tinned food from the village shop, ingest too much suger, drink too much, too much Kava or Betel Nut, have forgotten how to fish/hunt, need to live in Aus or NZ to send money home. Die young from heart disease or diabetes - inadequate medical care.

So what's your prognosis now Hassy? Is Aus all bad, even for you?
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 13 April 2021 1:41:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy