The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Environmental acts of faith are seriously misdirecting public investment in our electricity sector > Comments

Environmental acts of faith are seriously misdirecting public investment in our electricity sector : Comments

By Brendan O'Reilly, published 1/2/2021

Environmentalism, complete with fear of global-warming (a modern day reincarnation of Hell?), has now established itself as a major religion in developed countries.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
I think the author wishes Australia and the western world to follow the Chinese Communist Government down the path of more coal fired generators, when we should be going in the commonsense direction of NO coal fired generators. A person only needs to look at the smog in Chinese cities and Indian cities, and to know the simple fact that the health of the citizens of these cities is badly affected by the smoke from the coal.
I lived in Mount Isa for two years and breathed the sulphur dioxide fumes from the mine, which badly affects the health of children (and adults).
I don't want the world to choke on the gases caused by greed.
Posted by Cyclone, Monday, 1 February 2021 7:55:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bravo Brendan.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 1 February 2021 8:03:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
...breathed the sulphur dioxide fumes from the mine.
Cyclone,
My guess is you didn't go to Mt Isa for the scenery, you'd have gone there for the mone
Posted by individual, Monday, 1 February 2021 8:27:04 AM
Actually, sulphur dioxide fumes come from the copper smelter.
Brendan, the rate of increase of the carbon dioxide content of the atmosphere is consistent with the amount of fossil fuel that has been burnt since the start of the industrial revolution. Australia's main problem is going to be that the rate of closure of fossil fueled electricity generation is going to be faster than whatever other means of electricity generation is built to replace it. Bring on a succession of hot summer days in the eastern states after Liddell is closed down and see what happens
David
Posted by VK3AUU, Monday, 1 February 2021 8:51:40 AM
My goodness are we still rehashing this stuff in 2021.

Most people have accepted the science, got on with driving toward renewables which are continuing to come down in costs in leaps and bounds, and have left this little corner of the internet with its raft of now discredited talking points well behind.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Monday, 1 February 2021 9:19:55 AM
My understanding is that the increase in CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere are consistent with the increase in global average temperatures due to the solar cycle. CO2 concentrations FOLLOW an increase in average temperatures, particularly the temperature of oceans. Uptake of CO2 in the oceans increases with cooler water (according to ‘soda King’ manufacturer) and de-gassing of the ocean increases with warmer water. Whichever way you look at it, CO2 concentrations is a result of increasing global temperatures.
Posted by Pete S, Monday, 1 February 2021 9:28:23 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy