The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Supreme Court needs to explain why Texas and Ohio were shut out > Comments

Supreme Court needs to explain why Texas and Ohio were shut out : Comments

By David Singer, published 15/12/2020

How can the Supreme Court of the United States have ruled on Texas' motion without hearing submissions?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. 12
  14. All
Hi Banjo, Aidan and other thinking commenters

Some compelling legal argument from you guys.

But unfortunately David, as a Trump sympathiser, has made up his mind.

David may prolong the argument, but in the end you're wasting your time.

The Trump legal team's spurious "legal" line, across several of David's articles, commands David's line.
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 18 December 2020 8:39:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

Thanks, plantagenet. It looks like David has jumped ship and reneged on his promise to reply to our comments if we “focused” on what he considered to be “the major claim” in his article : the Ohio motion – which I did in my long post on page 6 of this thread.

The fact that he has not done what he said he would do seems to suggest that he is not too comfortable with what I wrote in my post on page 3 :

« I think all these shenanigans are simply deceptive manoeuvres by “Donald the dictator” to stoke up the fire and keep his gullible supporters’ blood boiling so that he can syphon off as much money from them as possible either in the form of lump sums or regular monthly or weekly instalments.

"Donald the dictator" knows his supporters have blind faith in him – just as the members of the multiple religious sects in the US have blind faith in their gurus. They obey their guru religiously.
As you seem to be an ardent supporter yourself, David, you might like to contribute to his slush fund … »

As the saying goes, I guess “silence constitutes approval”. If not, I imagine he would have had some reaction.

So let’s move on …

The cupidity and megalomania of “Donald the dictator” are now threatening to trigger the implosion of the Republican party. He obviously has no respect, gratitude, or empathy for anybody, including even his most faithful and fervent supporters. He now has the Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell in his sights for recognising “sleepy old Joe” as the winner of the 2020 presidential election.

Dan K. Eberhart, a major donor to the Republican Party and to conservative causes recently declared that Trump was :

« ... taking resources and attention away from Georgia … the thing to do right now is to make [Mitch] McConnell stronger by winning these two seats in Georgia … Trump has taken both money and oxygen away [by his] failure to concede and fundraising efforts” »

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Sunday, 20 December 2020 3:28:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It does not matter what the parties believe or which is right or wrong.
There is something called the public consent, I think it is called.

As I understand it, it means that on public governance on things like
elections the result is accepted by the vast majority win or lose for
each individual.
That consent has been refused for the US election.

As an example our last Federal election the result was not what was
expected but the result had the public consent.
Posted by Bazz, Sunday, 20 December 2020 7:43:19 AM
#Loudmouth 2

You state:
"AFAIK, the US Supreme Court does not initiate changes to the Constitution: that process begins with the houses of congress."

You are correct - but your comment is irrelevant.

What you cannot seem to grasp is that the Supreme Court's job is to interpret the meaning of the constitution - not initiate changes to the Constitution.

The job SCOTUS was asked by Ohio to do was to interpret what the Constitution meant by the use of the word "legislature".

Did it only mean the "actual Legislature of the State" or did it include "other officials or representatives of the State"

The bottom line: The Supreme Court shirked its duty to clarify the meaning of the word "legislature" when asked to do so by Ohio.

Leaving the meaning of "Legislature" up in the air was the last thing America needed to hear.
Posted by david singer, Sunday, 20 December 2020 8:41:40 AM
#Banjo Patterson

I haven't jumped ship.

You show what a compete ignoramus you are when you state:

"As the judges indicate in their “Preliminary Statement” to the Texas report (which I think could also apply to the Ohio case as well):

« Its [Texas’s] request for this Court to exercise its original jurisdiction and then anoint Texas’s preferred candidate for President is legally indefensible and is an affront to principles of constitutional democracy »"

The judges never said this. It was part of the submission by Pennsylvania.

The other quoted remarks by you were also made in the Pennsylvania submission - not by the judges.

I will not be responding to your other comments which have nothing to do with my article.
Posted by david singer, Sunday, 20 December 2020 8:59:19 AM
Bazz,

By voting, people consent. End of.

David,

You would be aware of the separation of powers, even in the US: legislature means the law-making bodies, NOT the bureaucracies or judiciary which put that legislation into effect. The Supreme Court, as you also would know, would define 'legislature' narrowly, as a 'black-letter' court. End of.

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Sunday, 20 December 2020 9:04:32 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11