The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Pandemics and public health > Comments

Pandemics and public health : Comments

By Peter Curson, published 15/9/2020

There is little doubt that maintaining our publics’ health requires a deft balancing act – of balancing the overall wellbeing of all Australians against the individual’s rights and freedoms.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
The “great big melting pot” sure holds surprises aplenty.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 15 September 2020 8:25:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To put things in perspective, in the past eight months, there have been 816 deaths attributed to COVID-19 across Australia, population 25.5 million.

729 of those deaths have been in Victoria, population 6.65 million, over the past eight months.

Most of the deaths attributed to COVID-19 have been in people over 80 years old, i.e. over the age of life expectancy.

To further put these figures in perspective, the ABS reports 55,047 doctor certified deaths occurred in Australia between 1 January 2020 and 26 May 2020 and were registered by 30 June. This compares to a baseline average of 53,361 over the past 5 years. It’s interesting there appear to be 1,686 deaths over the average - I wonder how many of these might be ‘lockdown’ deaths?

Going back to the 729 deaths in Victoria attributed to COVID-19, I’ve been having a look at the Births Deaths and Marriages Victoria website. Consider these figures:

Deaths registered in Victoria July 2020: 3,561
Deaths registered in Victoria July 2019: 4,102

So in July 2019 there were 541 more registered deaths than in July 2020. There were more deaths in July last year than July this year...

Keeping in mind over the past six months 729 deaths have been attributed to COVID-19 in Victoria, also consider these monthly death statistics via place of death:

April 2020: Hospital 617 Nursing home 1,591 Usual residence 1,181 Other 196 Total 3,585
May 2020: Hospital 556 Nursing home 1,380 Usual residence 1,037 Other 298 Total 3,271
June 2020: Hospital 593 Nursing home 1,418 Usual residence 943 Other 172 Total 3,126

Average age at death was around 77.9

Interesting figures to think about in the context of deaths attributed to COVID-19, and the extraordinary disruption governments’ response to COVID-19 is causing in Australia, particularly Victoria.  
Posted by ElizabethHart, Tuesday, 15 September 2020 9:45:14 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, it's all 'act' and no 'balance' in Victoria. The fact that the most draconian, totalitarian government in the country still has the China virus and the sane ones do not, doesn't get a mention. The fact that 'The Lancet' long ago published the finding that lockdowns do not have any influence on the spread of the virus, is ignored. The fact that Taiwan had only 7 deaths and 447 non-lethal cases, is ignored. The fact that 98% of Swedes are now immune, is ignored.

Australian politicians and Australian dud doctors are morons. The people who sit back and allow themselves to be treated the way they are by Australian governments are also morons. People who keep writing the same garbage are morons. People who don't know that the average age of those dying with the virus for men is 81 and for women, 85. Meanwhile, the average life expectancy for men is 81 and for women is 85, are morons.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 15 September 2020 10:20:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Peter

Why do you say individual rights are in conflict with the common good?

Is it that you don't trust individuals to make choices that would serve the common good?

I'd say Queenslanders overwhelmingly supported and made individual choices, in the common good, during the initial containment or 'panic' phase of the virus. But since the objective changed from containment to eradication, I'd contend, we haven't as rigorously bothered overly much with adherence to the reopening phases dictates.

I think many people assessed a personal acceptable risk, and now make individual choices.
eg. Hand sanitizer is now pretty much ignored or has disappeared as has much social distancing... outside of government operations.
'
Indeed, generally, I'd like your definition of the common good.
If your definition is one that excludes personal responsibility, then, try going to live in Sictoria, The Police State ...where that idea pervades everything.
Posted by imajulianutter, Tuesday, 15 September 2020 10:37:23 AM
ElizabethHart

I watched your FB video last night after reading your posts yesterday.
Vaccination to my mind, should be a voluntary thing, except regarding vaccinations for infants and children against the old childhood chestnut diseases.

You raised many disturbing points of interest during your video. Vested interests of course is the big one.

Interesting you noted the silence of the ABC in particular. Why do you think that is?
I have my own views of course, not being a lover of them).

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 15 September 2020 11:09:40 AM
I'm 80, so probably more vulnerable than most.

However I'd much rather take my chances, & live in Sweden, than in the new police state of Victoria.

If ever there was a reason for rioting in the streets, it has to be the police behavior in Victoria today.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 15 September 2020 11:14:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy