The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Macron lectures Lebanon: the condescending politics of aid > Comments

Macron lectures Lebanon: the condescending politics of aid : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 14/8/2020

On the French president's visit to Beirut on August 6, the spirit of the colonial administrator was on full, puffy display.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Macron and Lebanon are nothing to do with us. Our only concern is that our own government might want to bring any more people here from a failed state because of another disaster that goes with the failed state status.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 14 August 2020 10:23:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Macron lectures Lebanon!

Well somebody needed to!

As for the intended aid, can not be handed to the government! But IGO's! Given the level of endemic corruption, cronyism, and sheer incompetence! And that's praising them.

Macron told them what they needed to know!

If they find being offered aid by a colonial power offends false pride/assumed, toffee-nosed dignity?

They remain free to say, no thank you, we'd sooner starve?

What they don't need is hate-filled towel heads, shovelling shite and by the shipload, Binroy!

Butt out! Your kind of hate speech and spittle-flecked foaming froth are the problem! Not the offer of generous for our times, Christian aid!

And you teach at one of our universities? And mould young minds?

Well, given your well publised views! That needs to end along with your residency status!

Go somewhere where you fit in! The Urals perhaps?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 14 August 2020 11:46:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It points up the failure of Islam and Arabs. The mixture does not seem to
have worked anywhere. Without a colonial administration they can not
succeed. Islam is based on a corruption of religion and Arabs have been
marrying their cousins for perhaps two thousand years.
I do not think the Christian Lebanese would have the custom of marrying
cousins and that would aggravate their differences.

I doubt the Moslem Lebanese would accept a French colonial government.
So perhaps a UN Mandate over Lebanon is the only available option.
Would it though be setting up another Palestinian situation ?
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 14 August 2020 11:48:43 AM
Bazz. Who knows what they think or if they actually do? Perhaps that action explains all the smoke as previously unused cerebral circuits are finally forced to function?

Incidentally, IGO's should read, NGO's, i.e., Non-Government organisations.

And I believe all of Macron's conditions should be met first before a single dollar or Euro flows!
Cheers, Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 14 August 2020 11:59:12 AM
I agree Alan, basically they should not have access to money at all.
Special currency could be printed and used to distribute aid that way.
It has to accepted that Lebanon is a totally failed state.
If I was in control I would divide the country into Moslem and Christian
areas. It may already have such division but might need tidying up.
Then allow no crossing between them.
This might well have to be a permanent division.
If other moslem countries would accept the moslems then the country could
be made Christian only and could then probably survive.
Either all that or let them shoot it out.
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 14 August 2020 12:34:09 PM
Lebanon may just be a key to the Syrian door.

Not to forget that Syria (a much bigger fish and Lebanon's neighbour) may be Macron's main objective to stabilise.

Like Lebanon, Syria was also a former French colony "mandate" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandate_for_Syria_and_the_Lebanon

The Russians, Islamic State and a tottering Syrian Dictator, have way too much influence in Syria.

France (on behalf of NATO and of Israel) may wish to stabilise Syria with greater Western influence.
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 14 August 2020 4:22:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy