The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia's COVID-19 lockdown and its impact on foreign students > Comments

Australia's COVID-19 lockdown and its impact on foreign students : Comments

By Warren Reed, published 8/5/2020

'Australia's treatment of international students during its response to a once-in-a-century pandemic has been heartless, narrow-minded and potentially economically shortsighted.'

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Protecting ourselves from foreign students, particularly those coming from the country which is the source of the China virus is common sense. It might also encourage universities to get back to educating Australians and actually earning their money. Australia has to stop relying on China for everything. We have to stop pretending that China is a normal country, not the aggressive, Communist, potential enemy that it is.

Runs counter to " …. the spirit of the Colombo Plan that began in the early 1950s", our treatment of foreign students, does it? It's interesting how the past is derided until it can be used to make a political point that suits the 'progressive, going forward' brigade. Many things have changed since the 1950s. We now have an expansionist China out to replace America in our region; we have terrorism; we have incompetent and corrupt politicians out for themselves; disease carried with mass immigration; multiculturalism and cultural relativism, and change to our mores and integrity for the mighty dollar - including selling of large lumps of our country and kidding ourselves that it is 'foreign investment'.

It is now time for sovereign countries, including ours, to withdraw and get back to a simpler life with people of their own kind.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 8 May 2020 10:04:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There is no common sense. According to the Australian Financial Review, an "expert committee" has advised the government to fly in thousands of foreign students to stem the mounting financial losses of universities.

It is also predicted that Morrison will soon be doing what he always does - restart massive inflows of immigrants to prop up the property market.

And the chumps will keep on saying what a wonderful job the PM is doing, having thrown thousands of people out of work. That smirk is not on his face for nothing. What a bunch of folks we are allowing him to make the people who can least afford it suffer for his panic.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 8 May 2020 10:40:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
TRUTH ABOUT COVID.
After two months maintaining a drought affected outback Australian station during winter of 2019, in late-winter I returned to Sydney and phoned 2 long term friends to catch up.
Each straight away said they had just had the worst attack of flu in their whole lives.

One said he had been feeling so weak he had stayed in bed for over a week and one day he got up to go to the toilet but fell on the bedroom floor. He said he could not get up and was forced to pee on the floor.
Now that amazed me because I have known this man for over 60 years and he is always sober and spotlessly dressed and clean, same with his house and car, always.

My second friend told me he had a flu for a couple of weeks. He said it was the worst flu he had ever had. He said it was not getting better so he went to the doctor who prescribed antibiotics. He said after taking the antibiotics he thought that flu had gone but a few weeks later he felt weak and sometimes dizzy.
He said he went back to his doctor and was sent straight to hospital where fluid was found in his lungs, causing shortage of oxygen flow to his heart and brain.
He remained in hospital for about 3 weeks and received a pacemaker, also because his heart was known to sometimes miss a beat.

Both men have annual flu injections. Both know of each other but have never met or spoken by phone.
I have never previously known of such a severe flu or symptoms.

I now note old pathology samples are showing evidence the Covid-19 existed in Australia. See the attached link or search: old pathology samples show COVID-19 was in circulation last year.

http://www.afr.com/policy/health-and-education/old-pathology-samples-show-covid-19-was-in-circulation-last-year-20200505-p54q3e
Posted by JF Aus, Friday, 8 May 2020 10:48:34 AM
And there is more:

Many Australians have surely already developed some immunity to Covid-19. Perhaps this early 2020 Covid-19 outbreak is the second wave, as indicated by the low death rate of less than 100 in nearly 7,000 known cases in a population of 25 million.

There is other coinciding evidence. Personally, I had a very severe dry cough for about 2 weeks during January 2019, and again for about 1 week during February 2020.
I think both were Covid-19 infections.

During the February 2020 occurrence I did not develop a temperature, perhaps due to good nutrition and health and natural immunity.
Surely proper nutrition including from sunlight should be communicated by government, as a Covid and other virus protection, in advance.
I think evidence of already existing immunity to Covid indicates all Covid response restrictions in Australia should be lifted all at once immediately.

And so called intelligence, concerning this Covid Australia 2019 situation, should be communicated to U.S President Trump.

China must not be blamed for Covid-19 starting in WUHAN during late December 2019 or January 2020.
Posted by JF Aus, Friday, 8 May 2020 10:51:10 AM
Ttbn,

Thanks for that spray - it's interesting what a crisis brings out in people.

JF, yes, I had a persistent cough and runny nose from mid-December, for about three weeks. It made me give up smoking.

Of course, it could have been hay fever, there's often a lot of that around in SA, the driest state :)

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Friday, 8 May 2020 11:01:25 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The way that Chinese students as agents of the CCP are taking over our universities, we should get rid of the lot of them and tell them not to come back.
David
Posted by VK3AUU, Friday, 8 May 2020 11:30:29 AM
JF Aus, as you indicate, the flu injection is not a guarantee that you will not catch the flu.
Posted by Raycom, Friday, 8 May 2020 11:37:12 AM
The only way we should have spent any money on foreign students in Oz would have been to put them on a plane home, with a canceled visa in their pocket.

With foreign students gone, our universities just might become useful to us again, & perhaps the never ever fail policy could give way to useful education for Australians again.

This article shows in what disrespect the academic sector holds the average Australian tax payer. We are just a milk cow to be exploited, with no thought of offering a return.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 8 May 2020 11:50:29 AM
Foreign students particularly Chinese are not enrolling in Australian universities and colleges to get an education. It's a short cut to getting permanent residency.

They get local work experience while doing their course and then land a job upon graduation. And employers like it because they usually accept lower incomes as an initial step towards getting a permanent residency visa. Local workers don't like it because they cannot compete with these lower paid workers.

Tell them they can never apply for permanent residency when they finish their course and see how many students will come here from China. Not many you say?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Friday, 8 May 2020 11:51:28 AM
Joe,

I didn't have a runny nose either time.
The first time I was in the Solomon Islands, lots of humidity, the start of the wet season.
It was the dry cough that I really noticed, so much it made the bottom of my rib cage sore.
An elderly neighbor there also had it.
I expect different symptoms for different people depending on natural immunity/resistance and location etc.
Posted by JF Aus, Friday, 8 May 2020 11:57:19 AM
Hi JF,

So is it possible that, if those illnesses, going back to late winter 2019, were earlier mutations of Covid-19, then it could have originated anywhere, and showed up in many parts of the world, including Wuhan ? I wonder if the Americans secretly developed it, and tested it in the Solomons, where it got out of hand ? Yeah, that makes sense. Or maybe the Russians. Yeah, that would make sense too. Or the French. Bastards. Or the Japanese.

The final truth might leave some of our resident racist turds a bit out on a limb :)

I went to school in Darwin in the late fifties and had many very good Chinese friends, very generous and kind. One taught me how to jive. They, and their parents and grandparents, had of course been born in Australia but at the time, could not become Australian citizens. I think Hubert Opperman brought in an option when he was Minister for Immigration under Menzies, that they could become citizens fifteen years after applying. One of the first funerals that I went to was for an old Darwin-born Chinese man, Mr Tang born in 1894, who could never become a citizen. Lovely old bloke. Darwin was a wonderful education.

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Friday, 8 May 2020 12:21:16 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The very worthwhile Columbo plan, in its original incarnation, was an international scholarship plan to build goodwill, not university bank balances.

The fact that it became intended to earn income before alleged goodwill. Made it a cold and heartless, it's just business, money spinner!

And those students that came here did so with eyes wide open and alleged guaranteed financial support!

There was never ever anything remotely warm and fuzzy about it nor our various tourist industries, rolled out to replace our own independent manufacturing sector. INSANITY MADE MANIFEST!

And boy, could we use the latter manufacturing sector right now! As for the students?

There are numerous opportunities to earn a quid during annual labour intensive harvests!

Thumb a diesel down and get yourselves out there! They may even provide a free lunch? Along with fresh clean air and sanitising sunshine!

Get used to it, it's going to be a way of life for some decades to come, given our timid leadership and please ex-plane, saddlebag lead! Further complicated by a few purple-faced, C bomb dropping, juveniles, squabbling over the spoils of defeat?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 8 May 2020 12:50:16 PM
When Joe says he loves Chinese, he isn't talking about the food, as we "racist turds" do. What went wrong in your life that makes you prefer other races to your own, Joe?
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 8 May 2020 12:53:44 PM
LOUDmouth,

The Chinese state run media says they have just discovered the origin of the Wuhan Bat Soup Virus - and guess what! It's YOU!
Posted by Mr Opinion, Friday, 8 May 2020 12:53:56 PM
Unbelievable:

http://khn.org/morning-breakout/white-house-task-force-to-disband-but-trump-will-retain-birx-fauci-as-pandemic-advisers/

Trump's presidency is a bit like a high school choosing the dumbest jock as head prefect, because his father donates big-time.

So just as the Curve shows no sign of declining, and hick states open up, Trump dismantles the key overseeing body ? Like that bloke says ......

Prediction: daily death numbers will continue to rise, and perhaps at increasing rates, doubling in some places, say, every five or six days. The 'hot-spots' will move out to the major cities in hick states, Des Moines, Boise, Omaha, etc., then to smaller cities, then to large towns, then to small towns and villages. People will drink disinfectant, shine strong lights up their arses and get plenty of Vitamin D, but it won't make a jot of difference.

Sooner or later, American administrations, at state, city, town or hamlet-level, will have to realise that a lock-down and quarantining regions, is essential, that they may have left it too late. Health systems will start to get overwhelmed. Cuba and China may have to send medical teams to the more backward parts of the US.

And of course, the longer they leave it, the more difficult it will be to reverse dumb-arse Trump policies, and the longer it will take to control the curve, bring it down, and clear up all of the most diseased patches of the country, with new clusters breaking out every week. Maybe another couple of years.

Or of course, everybody develops herd immunity. Haven't heard of that for a few days. How's Sweden going with that approach ? Three thousand deaths, compared to fewer than a hundred here. Hmmm, a long way to go before they get to herd immunity: so what's an acceptable level of deaths ? Sooner or later, even Sweden will have to adopt a lock-down policy.

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Friday, 8 May 2020 1:04:27 PM
Amazing how the minds of racist turds work.

ttbn,

I don't love any group above others. I enjoy the company of people no matter their origins, even Pommies - well, I would, wouldn't I, my grandma was from Hull. I recall studying about twenty years ago, with PG students from a huge range of countries, from every country in SE Asia and the Middle East; it was a joy to turn up very day.

But I suppose my problem is that I don't think any group is any better than any other. Or worse. You should try it. 'Nah' .....

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Friday, 8 May 2020 1:11:17 PM
The worse treated people during this time of Covid have been the elderly denied the love of children and grandchildren, people wanting to sit on a park bench and eat a kebab and people denied the right to worship or play golf. People making all the decisions and others that support them are generally highly paid bureaucrats who used dodgy data to control the deplorables. Many of the other public servants are able to do even less than they normally do along with unions while themselves flaunting the rules they applaud. Biggest con in history which will not end well for many.
Posted by runner, Friday, 8 May 2020 2:23:31 PM
Runner: Yes and terrible! So cruel and so unnecessary! Not that you took any notice anyway, hey?

Enjoy the weekend, the grandkids and a church service or two. If that rocks your boat.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 8 May 2020 4:56:27 PM
Calling people who object to China and the Chinese threat to Australia ‘racist’ is juvenile and ignorant. The juvenile and ignorant themselves are the ones conflating the Chinese government, a totalitarian Communist government, with ordinary Chinese people who, in their own country, are more at risk from the CCP than we are. The Chinese government executes about 3,000 of their own citizens every year. The vast majority of Chinese citizens are NOT Communists, nor is the majority Han Chinese population of Taiwan; and don’t forget the Hong Kong Chinese, who are now virtually prisoners in their own country, and under constant threat from Bejing. Chinese students are an unknown quantity to most of us, but it is certain that many of them are under the influence of the Chinese Communist Party.

Everything in China is under the control of the CCP, and it is stupid to pretend that China is a normal country with which we can have the same relations we do with other countries. China is an aggressive potential enemy of Australia and the Free World, which if allowed, will cut us off from our main ally, the United States of America.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 9 May 2020 8:33:19 AM
ttbn,

It will be interesting to see what happens to China in the wake of the Wuhan Bat Soup Virus pandemic.

I image a lot of countries will begin to distance themselves from China in order to minimise their contact and develop opportunities to establish self-reliant economies.

This will set Chinese ambitions back and it will be interesting to see if this results in an aggressive China intent on taking things by force if it cannot get it by trade.

I like Jared Diamond's description of the Chinese nation as an invasive species. I prefer to call them simply parasites.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Saturday, 9 May 2020 8:56:42 AM
Hiya Joe "loudmouth2"

Your thought "Trump's presidency is a bit like a high school choosing the dumbest jock as head prefect, because his father donates big-time."

Is a gem.

It has has brightened up my day with hope that the Corona-Trump is just a 4 year long disease that the world (including America) didn't deserve!

Roll on November and a Biden win. Biden may be elderly. But if Biden, like many Presidents, surrounds himself with a good team, it will be a better world.

Cheers

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Saturday, 9 May 2020 9:31:01 AM
Mr. Opinion,

The UK is talking about distancing itself, and the much maligned President Trump is well aware that the economic war is the opening phase of the Chinese Communist Party’s intent to pit itself against America for the dominance of Asia and the Pacific (therefore Australia). PM Morrison and the other jokers in Canberra appear to be unaware, or they don’t care. Morrison is only interested in the lazy man's way to extra GDP at the expense of locals - mass immigration, no matter where from.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 9 May 2020 10:39:19 AM
Notice how the lying media have labelled young healthy people going to the beach or park as Covidiots. As usual their lies and fake news is evident for all to see. The real idiots are the healthy young ones locked up with no sunshine and not visiting their parents.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 9 May 2020 10:45:29 AM
runner,

Please go and mingle if you want because we need all the lab rats and guinea pigs we can get. I think it is a good idea that people (lab rats and guinea pigs) like you are willing to sacrifice their lives so that people like me can survive.

I've been told that loosening the restrictions now will result in a second wave of the virus and that the second wave will be a lot worse than the first wave.

Do you know how people die from the Wuhan Bat Soup Virus? Their lungs fill with water. They cannot fight it because there is no treatment and they have to puncture the lungs and drain the water out to help them survive.

Go you little lab rat and do your thing!
Posted by Mr Opinion, Saturday, 9 May 2020 11:23:30 AM
'Go you little lab rat and do your thing!'

Rats full of disease normally hide away in dark places Mr O. Its a breeding ground. Didn't you know that?
Posted by runner, Saturday, 9 May 2020 12:20:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy