The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The forgotten war and its deadly costs > Comments

The forgotten war and its deadly costs : Comments

By Brendon O'Connor, published 1/5/2020

As I write around 212,000 people have died from COVID-19. The death toll in Afghanistan since 2001 from war has been around 150,000 people.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
One of the best books on the subject is this.

http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Crossroad-Mark-Donaldson/9781743519103?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=ps&utm_campaign=AU&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7qn1BRDqARIsAKMbHDaJtd2gPMgFO1S2hl5ATRtaWLh6xw68F0fyMogJKldPcZK2WHLIc-caAtUFEALw_wcB

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 1 May 2020 9:15:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
212,000 is not such a shocking number if you think back 100 years when there were far fewer people in the world. The same applies to the losses in modern skirmishes compared with those in the Great War.

But why we need to fixate on America when we are not doing all that well with our own problems will always be a mystery to me.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 1 May 2020 9:46:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This author hates Trump and rambles on with all this nonsense. No wonder our scores in world wide education are low and getting lower all our learning institutions are hopeless and full of idiots. Lets start the great saving we are going to have to have with the education sector.
Posted by JBowyer, Friday, 1 May 2020 9:55:02 AM
Onya ttbn,

Oh, here we go. Another left wing journo adds a few red stars to his fashionable hatred of the USA, by submitting a completely biased analysis of the war in Afghanistan, comparing it to Vietnam.

The reasons for the war in Afghanistan did not come within a hundred miles of the reasons for the war in Afghanistan. Just like at Pearl Harbour, the USA was attacked. This time by a private army of Islamic religious nutcases who wanted a war that they thought they could win. That the USA was attacked is recognised internationally in that it was an international allied force which responded to the call to arms. Even wimpy Canada sent combat troops, and even more astounding, so did neutral Sweden. So portraying this as some kind of "American" war is complete and utter BS. It was NATO, and even included our former enemies in the WARSAW PACT.

As for those "Afghans" killed in Afghanistan, most of them were the self same religious nutters hell bent upon turning the country back to the 6th century. Although, being extremely Islamic, it never progressed much passed the 6th century anyway. As for any innocent civilians killed, did it ever occur to Brenden O'Connor's vestigial brain that he should be blaming those Islamic religious nutters for those deaths, not the USA? 100,000 French civilians died in the allied air and ground campaigns to throw the Germans out of France. It's a good thing Brendan was not around in 1945 or he would be blaming the US and Britain for those deaths, instead of Adolph Hitler.

The Afghan war has been a bloody good war. For almost twenty years allied soldiers from around the world have used Afghanistan as a fantastic training ground where they got to slaughter like civilised men, tens of thousands of the worst religious nutters and terrorists in the world. And if there is one thing that professional soldiers really like, it is a nice little war where they can test their skills and weapons on a contemptible enemy that is really worth killing.
Posted by LEGO, Friday, 1 May 2020 10:18:35 AM
Unless we're prepared to stay the course and impose our standards on a primitive and sub-human culture still locked in the 18th century!

Then apart from nuking it? And making a point that not even the most violent terrorist could ignore, i.e, we can do much more to them than they to us? As we did to end the war in the pacific and save thousands of young allied soldiers' lives!

Then we should have just butted out!

As it is, a premature withdrawal will have made the sacrificed lives and treasure both worthless and pointless!

Stay in and finish the job using whatever it takes! Or leave and leave the Taliban a message they cannot ignore! As tactical weapons delivered by drones an along the mountain roads they use, between Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Preferably as they make the annual transfer to continue to impose their will on the resident population!

And keep attacking and burning the poppy crops that is their main source of funding!

One needs to understand, we need to fight fire with fire and we can choose to not lift a helping hand with their fight against covid-19. Be they Pakistan Taliban or on the other side of a common border. Keep up the hunt and kill program against the head!

To kill a highly dangerous snake, one needs to cut off the head. And where the venomous fangs/lethal danger is located.

And resolve to keep doing that for the next 100 years if that what it takes!

Send in a very large task force to offer once only, safe passage to refuge, to any female that wants to end her sexual slavery to these insane, insatiable monsters! And could be done with a large enough force with aerial support!? And with good forward planning, and advisory dropped leaflets, completed in weeks!

Then withdraw all military and financial aid support! Thes folks decided to declare war and need to reap all the deserved consequences!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 1 May 2020 10:53:21 AM
Guess you have been there Alan?
Posted by ateday, Friday, 1 May 2020 8:26:59 PM
Wow, some of you are bereft of a few facts. The supposed 9/11 perpetrators we’re Saudi not Afghan. Tomes of scientific evidence clearly demonstrates the buildings were brought down primarily through controlled demolition. To deny this is to deny science. Box cutters and aluminium planes don’t bring down reinforced steel and concrete buildings.

As to Alan’s farcical suggestion, need anyone say more? Okay I will, perhaps if we left the graveyard of empires as this is all the Afghan’s want, they could get on with killing themselves and there’d be nothing more to worry about. At least them killing themselves would make most commenters happy it seems.

Additionally, had Britain and France not declared war (this in international law makes them both the aggressors) on Germany, perhaps those 100,000 French citizens might not have died. But of course we can’t have these facts brought to light, as the victors of WW2 this would be a real ‘inconvenient truth’ now wouldn’t it?

The war in Afghanistan was based on lies, unfortunately Australia and those other vassal nation’s mentioned should have told the lying yanks to go it alone, likewise Iraq, Syria and Vietnam. All wars which proved too much for the US, which by the way hasn’t won a war since WW2 (we won’t mention the Russian’s were the primary reason Germany was defeated in Europe, another of those pesky, inconvenient truths).

Believe what you will but the historical archived facts do not lie.
Galen
Posted by Galen, Saturday, 2 May 2020 1:01:08 AM
:The forgotten war..."....I thought we'd be talking about Mark (Waugh).

That the USA had the right, and probably the duty, to go into Afghanistan and chase the Taliban (or Taliband if you're Julia Gillard) into their warrens and caves, is pretty well established.

Unfortunately the US hierarchy had bought the talk over the previous decade of the end of history and the ultimate and universal inevitability of western liberal capitalism. They assumed that all peoples yearn for western-style freedoms and that it could be established in Afghanistan (and later Iraq) with ease once the totalitarians had been disposed of.

But, alas, that's not true and was shown to be untrue. Were 9/11 to happen today, the correct response would be to bomb the offending state back to the stone age and leave them to pick up the pieces, with a promise to do it all over again if they dared raise the head above the parapet ie level Kabul, and then, if Islamist continued to hold sway in the country, do it again next year ad infinitum until they learned to play nice.

"this in international law makes them both the aggressors"

That's arrant rubbish....see: Poland.

" the US, which by the way hasn’t won a war since WW2.."

Well apart from Korea, Grenada, Panama, Bolivia, Gulf War 1, Gulf War 2, Bosnia, Haiti, Kosovo, Isis....oh and a little thing called The Cold War.

"Box cutters and aluminium planes don’t bring down reinforced steel and concrete buildings."

No. But box cutters do slit air-hostesses throats. And the fuel on the aluminium plane does bring down buildings.
Posted by mhaze, Saturday, 2 May 2020 12:48:32 PM
mhaze

“see: Poland”
Err wrong, sorry that was not the start of WW2. WW2 started when Britain and France declared war, this is a historical, undeniable fact.

“ Korea, Grenada, Panama, Bolivia, Gulf War 1, Gulf War 2, Bosnia, Haiti, Kosovo, Isis....oh and a little thing called The Cold War”

Err wrong again, Korea, still going, Grenada, Panama, Bolivia, Haiti, not wars. Gulf War 1, the US withdrew forces, Iraq did not surrender. Gulf War 2, they got rid of Hussein, but lost to the locals after about 10 years of meddling and still have troops there. ISIS well that’s a joke, they are funded and get intel support from the US/medical aid from Israel, and are used for PR purposes by the US when needed. The Cold War, it never really ended, its more dangerous now than at anytime in the previous 75 years.

“ No. But box cutters do slit air-hostesses throats. And the fuel on the aluminium plane does (sic) bring down buildings.”

Re box cutters, well yes they might, but not in this case. Fuel fires from the alleged aircraft, with included fuel load from the twin towers were scientifically incapable of generating the heat necessary to bring down the towers or building 7. No building (high rise) before or since 9/11 has ever collapsed due to fire, some burning hotter and longer and still not collapsing, or even coming close.

Facts please, I suggest you do some research, perhaps read Germany’s War by John Wear for some truth on WW2 and search and read the scientific evidence re 9/11 by googling Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth and their affiliated websites.
Galen
Posted by Galen, Sunday, 3 May 2020 12:10:26 AM
Galen,

"that was not the start of WW2"

We were talking about who was the aggressor, not when the war started. Germany invaded Poland who were in alliance with Britain. Germany knew that and that a war with Poland meant war with Britain. Therefore under international law Germany not Britain was the aggressor.

As to when the WW2 started...well there are any number of dates you might pick: 1/9/39; 3/9/39, 10/5/40, 22/6/41, 7/12/41, 11/12/41.
Any one of those has arguments for and against. Its not a question of " a historical, undeniable fact."

"Korea, still going,"
Oh so we're nit-picking. No peace treaty so no end to the war even though there's been no shooting for over 60 years. Perhaps we can also argue that the Punic Wars aren't over either.

"Grenada, Panama, Bolivia, Haiti, not wars. "
Why?

"Gulf War 1, the US withdrew forces, Iraq did not surrender. "
The war aims were to free Kuwait for Iraqi occupations. Kuwait was freed, so war aims met. So victory. QED

"Gulf War 2"
They may not have won the peace but they most certainly won the war.

"The Cold War, it never really ended,..."
Soviet Empire destroyed. Soviet Union destroyed. Communist rule destroyed. Warsaw Pact destroyed. Perhaps, like the Black Knight, they were just flesh wounds?

"scientifically incapable of generating the heat necessary to bring down the towers"

Rubbish. There's a million places you could go to check it out. Try this one....http://www.thoughtco.com/why-world-trade-center-towers-fell-177706

But when you have a Truther who says "alleged aircraft", you're not dealing with someone open to explanation.

" I suggest you do some research, perhaps read Germany’s War by John Wear "

I read it...but more for the comedic value. It basically takes every piece of Nazi propaganda as truth and works backwards from there.

Try reading....
The Origins of the Second World War...AJP Taylor,
A History of World War Two...Taylor
Rise and Fall of the Third Reich...Shirer
Hitler: A Study in Tyranny ....Alan Bullock
anything by Liddel Hart.

A lot more, but they should be sufficient anecdote for Wear's rubbish.
Posted by mhaze, Sunday, 3 May 2020 6:05:14 PM
Gawd ! This is proof that the real enemy is within !
Posted by individual, Monday, 4 May 2020 6:46:39 AM
As regards Afghanistan, I've written previously here that its long past time for us to get out and leave them to their fate. If the war aims are to create a viable, reasonably free state where women are equals and children have a fair run at a secure future, then the war is lost. That will never happen.

Just hanging around hoping that something will finally drop into place isn't a reasonable strategy and leaving our young men to face daily danger because our pollies don't want to admit that the whole venture was a failure, is immoral.

Trump wants out and will probably move to get out after November. We might as well show some independence by doing so first rather than trialling along.
Posted by mhaze, Monday, 4 May 2020 10:39:30 AM
Mhaze, you and I are never going to reconcile are differences so I think it is pointless twoing and froing with this.

I do however agree with your final post, another lost war to the US!
Galen
Posted by Galen, Monday, 4 May 2020 12:01:18 PM
I would have to disagree with you there, mhaze. Like I said previously, Afghanistan was and still is the greatest training ground for allied soldiers there has been in the last twenty years. The allies have had the opportunity to try out a whole new range of weapons and re-examine old ones. it looks like the British Army is finally going to do away with their beloved Land Rovers as these vehicles were very prone to lethal land mine attacks. The British are now trialing mine protected light vehicles.

If you would love to read a smashing book on the fighting in Afghanistan then I would recommend Firestrike 7-9 Sgt Paul Graham. Sgt Graham is a JTAC (a guy who targets enemy positions for attack by attack aircraft) and he was responsible for calling in strikes that killed over 200 Taliban with only one mortal casualty inflicted on the British. His victims included a two top Taliban commanders and a mullah with his entire bodyguard. Great book. My own copy was loaned to a RAN naval officer and it did the rounds of the Officers Mess at Garden Island.

You will be astounded at how accurate and lethal the weapons of the Allied armies are. I almost felt sorry for the Taliban who are providing a real service by providing our troops with great moving targets.

Poor young Galen obviously has never read a history book in his life as his opinions are completely bizarre.; He must get his "facts" from the Green Left Weekly.

Oh, and by the way, Galen. Afghanistan is not the graveyard of armies. You are simply mouthing a slogan you heard somewhere which has no basis in fact. A bit like your opinions in general. Afghanistan was conquered by Alexander the Great, then by the Muslims who completely destroyed the Buddhist civilisation and occupied the place for themselves. Then along came Genghis Khan who simply exterminated everybody he could find and almost completely depopulated the place. Try picking up a book and expanding your vestigial brain.
Posted by LEGO, Monday, 4 May 2020 6:30:59 PM
Hey Lego,
Having spent well over a decade in the military in a branch I cannot mention due to the nature of its sensitive activities I can only rely on my first hand knowledge and the information I have seen with my own two eyes.

Unlike you, I am not getting my insights from some wannabe has been soldier who probably embellished his book with over exaggerated memories needed to secure his book deal.

Believe what you want, Afghanistan was, is, and will remain a shameful episode in our military history. Future truthful historians will write the truth, and testing weapons won’t rate highly among our achievements.
Galen
Posted by Galen, Tuesday, 5 May 2020 12:08:28 AM
Hi Galen.

Of course you don't want to read any book which contradicts your prejudices and fashionable views. But my advice to you, is that if you want to be taken seriously, then stop banging on about your conspiracy theory that 9/11 was somehow a US plot (or was it the joos, they are the usual suspects?) Otherwise, nobody who's brain has not been damaged by the debilitating effects of going to university and studying for an Artz degree will take you seriously.

Your historical take is so preposterous that one can only wonder by what means your civilisations enemies managed to impart such nonsense into your overly receptive brain? Like the Hitler Youth and the Comsomol, Your PC indoctrination must have started in kindergarten. So, I can only conclude that you began your early, formative years in the People's Republic of Victoria?

As for being in a sensitive part of the military, I can only conclude that you must have been a part of Defence Acquisitions, the same branch of insipid, world class idiots who gave Australia the Tiger attack helicopter, the Seasprite, the 12 obsolete diesel electric French submarines which are nearly twice as expensive as US Virginia class SSN's, the FA-18, which became significantly more expensive than the incomparable F-15, FFG7 frigates with no CIWS. The same idiots who advised former PM Bob Hawke to scrap the sale of the HMS Invincible to Australia on the grounds that aircraft carriers were supposedly obsolete, who were responsible for the situation where the Australian Army, who for the last 70 years has done nearly all the fighting and dying, is the service at the bottom of the financial lifeline which sees most defence money going to the Air Force and RAN. The list of their incompetence is just too much for a 350 word post.

You aren't an ethnic Chinese, by any chance, are you? If so, your touching loyalty to your former homeland would account for your extraordinary worldview and the peculiar behaviour of Defence Acquisitions, who must be entirely staffed by Chinese or Muslims.
Posted by LEGO, Tuesday, 5 May 2020 3:27:27 AM
cannot mention due to the nature of its sensitive activities I
Galen,
cannot mention because it would unearth the incompetence & hypocrisy that prolongs the careers of high rankers ?
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 5 May 2020 7:19:37 AM
Lego, individual, wrong on all counts.

I’ll say this, not ethnic Chinese, not from Victoria, no lefty leaning whatsoever and extremely well read in military history, tactics etc.

Additionally I’ll only mention my employment this last time and keep it vague, vis special forces, specialist communications and intel, that’s all you get.

No 9/11 conspiracy Lego just the science. Explain nanothermite residue, a then ‘military only’ available material. You can’t deny this because it’s documented and it’s residence in the debris of both buildings 1 & 2 show the entire US govt and NIST reports are wrong and glaringly wrong. Look at the science.

Try again without the personal attacks, it cheapens your credibility.
Galen
Posted by Galen, Tuesday, 5 May 2020 10:20:43 AM
Galen,
On a scale of 1-10 where would you put military efficiency i.e. value for money & environmental impact ?
Where would you put career vs Patriotism among those high ranking officers ?
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 5 May 2020 10:31:24 AM
LEGO

"Afghanistan was and still is the greatest training ground for allied soldiers there has been in the last twenty years. "

That's probably true but I'm not sure it justifies putting our young men in harm's way for no geopolitical benefit.

Galen,

" Explain nanothermite residue..."

Again Galen, there's enormous amounts of information to debunk this Truther meme. eg.... http://911disinfo.wordpress.com/2012/09/11/911-nano-thermite-debunked/

Just while you're here, can you further explain your "alleged aircraft" comment. It looks like you're doubting that the aircraft existed?
Posted by mhaze, Tuesday, 5 May 2020 11:41:33 AM
Individual I would put my ranking at between 2 or probably 3, and career overrides patriotism in probably 90% of cases. Normally at the Colonel/Commodore level officers shift gears into the political realm and towing that line leads to extremes in poor management and situational decision making.

Mhaze, nanothermite has scientifically been measured, samples of dust taken from adjacent buildings clearly show their existence, you can’t ignore physical evidence and the debunking crowd are not the ones whom have tested the dust nor come up with conclusive evidence it was not used in the building destruction.

Additionally, I am not alleging there is no evidence of aircraft hitting the two towers. Building 7 was not hit by an aircraft, yet as a reinforced steel and concrete building it too fell at free fall speed into its own envelope, impossible without controlled demolition.

Shanksville, big hole but no aircraft, not even a steel and titanium engine in the wreckage, physically impossible.

Pentagon, big hole, no aircraft wreckage, same as above, no bodies, no wheel struts/wheels etc, go figure.

Too much evidence to ignore, too many unanswered questions and a shambles of an investigation rightly admitted as so by many of the senior investigators involved?
Galen
Posted by Galen, Tuesday, 5 May 2020 12:21:32 PM
Oh no Galen, I don't want you to stop with your wacky conspiracy theory. I want you to keep making a fool of yourself so that any young person who reads your peculiar worldview knows right away that you, and anyone who thinks like you, are nutters. Your claim that you do read military history is a claim more worthy of hilarity than serious consideration.

Mhaze put you right back in your box when you rather incredibly claimed that the USA had never won a war since WW2. And that Britain and France were the real aggressors in WW2. What's it like, Galen, dancing with the fairies down the bottom of the garden? The biggest question of all, is how did you ever get so brainwashed that you ever began to think the way you do? You must be a victim of today's "progressive" education system.

I very much doubt if you were ever in the military, if you don't know the fact that professional soldiers love having a "nice" little war somewhere, to test their training, skills, and weapons. Afghanistan fitted the bill like a glove. A contemptible enemy who got the ever lovin' sheet shot out of them while our own casualties were extremely light. Even the Swedes got in on the fun.

Osama bin Laden and his private army of religious nutters thought that they were beyond the reach of the USA in Afghanistan, when they launched the most famous terrorist attack in history. Big mistake. The yanks don't spend hundreds of billions of dollars every year on their defence just to sit back and do nothing about it when they are attacked. The US and it's allies have killed tens of thousands of those Muslim morons, so many that Allah is running out of virgins to reward the jihadis.

The United States's true allies supported the USA and that included al of NATO, former WARSAW PACT nations, and even "neutral" Sweden. Apparently all of these nations have been fooled by the USA, which you laughingly appear to claim staged 9/11.
Posted by LEGO, Tuesday, 5 May 2020 2:17:18 PM
Galen I am not going to give you the link but the US ran an A12 jet fighter at a concrete block and it absolutely pulverised it! No discernable wreckage and it is on YouTube. It was awesome a word very rarely used by me.
Posted by JBowyer, Tuesday, 5 May 2020 3:21:17 PM
Lego like most D;ckheads you have absolutely no clue as to your insipid claims.

I spent 14 years and 7 months in the service of my country, I also have the medals, a bravery citation from the Chief of the defence force, and numerous others bits of evidence to prove my claims.

What do you have...that’s right nothing.

Like most muppets you claim and counter claim based on your myopic Kool Aid indoctrinated learning.

And like most muppets you could not address my questions and assertions in my previous article.

You are a straw man, I have long learned to leave you and others like you to your own devices, you lack the moral courage of your conviction’s and like most w@nkers I don’t have the time or conviction to keep responding to your asinine and immature comments.

Get a life D;ckhead
Galen
Posted by Galen, Tuesday, 5 May 2020 3:24:56 PM
and numerous others bits of evidence to prove my claims.
Galen,
Haven't you forgotten something ? Good pay, Superannuation, accommodation, food etc. ?
Service to the Country, well ok but the Country served you well also ! It's called a Symbiosis !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 5 May 2020 6:34:36 PM
To Galen.

If you ever picked up a book on military history you would discover that time and time again, illiterate barbarians or even farmers inflicted stunning defeats upon modern armies led by educated idiots with long and sometimes distinguished military careers. Those idiots had chest's full of medals and mouth's full of names and titles. Claiming that only frocked military experts can comment upon military affairs, and that amateurs should just shut up, has been the usual excuse for hundreds of years of the most appalling military incompetence.

I opposed the Vietnam War because I read books by soldiers, journalists, politicians, and historians, that clearly demonstrated that the US forces in Vietnam were the new Redcoats opposing what was essentially a war of national liberation. There are few people today who think that the US and it's allies were right in fighting that war.

By your own reasoning, I had no business working out whom was right and who was wrong in Vietnam, or whether the war could even be won, because I was not a politician or a general. Nuts to that.

I don't care who or what you were in the Australian military. You possess a completely bizarre worldview that does not conform to self evident reality. Perhaps you watch the UABC (Un Australian Broadcasting Commission) too much?

As to "not answering your questions." If you invent some completely wacky conspiracy theory, don't expect your sceptics to even take it seriously or even bother to disprove it. Everybody in the world saw those airliners hit those buildings, and if you implying that the yanks somehow staged the event and packed the buildings with explosives, it makes me wonder at your sanity. I no more need to try and disprove your bizarre theory than I need to prove to Runner that the universe was not created in six days.
Posted by LEGO, Wednesday, 6 May 2020 9:09:07 AM
As I said Lego, it’s pointless attempting to converse with you as you won’t open your mind to the obvious.

I opposed the ‘war’ in Iraq in 2003, a morally repugnant action by the US and blatant crime against humanity and breach of international law.

Individual, pay-below the national average, superannuation-about the same as most non military pension systems, food-often good, sometimes terrible but you eat what’s available at the time, shelter-just a roof over the old head unless one is deployed operationally, comes with the job.
Galen
Posted by Galen, Wednesday, 6 May 2020 12:07:45 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy