The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Charlottesville, guns, Trump-phobia and 'Their ABC’s groupthink' > Comments

Charlottesville, guns, Trump-phobia and 'Their ABC’s groupthink' : Comments

By Laurence Maher, published 6/3/2020

Readers who are regular viewers of ABC TV news will not need to be reminded that recently the national broadcaster began skiting about how much smarter it is than all us plebs and plodders.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Dear mhaze,

Good lord. Really? Come on mate I thought you would have at least given a better account of yourself than that.

Two rejected by the committee PLUS two who the minister chose who didn't even go through the committee process because they wouldn't have got a tick anyway. Further the committee doesn't pick either the MD chosen by the board itself, nor the chair chosen by the PM, nor the staff choice. That leaves 6 board positions which the committee was suppose to adjudicate on. The minister ended up instead dictating four appointment out of the six.

Some of those current board members include Vanessa Guthrie who is head of the Minerals Council was picked by Malcolm Turnbull. Joseph Gersh was a direct ministerial appointment. Kirstin Ferguson is a direct appointment of Scott Morrison.

Then you wrote; “You might recall that I wrote: "Whatismore, the board has no control over editorial policy, which makes the leanings of the board membership neither here nor there." “

What? This after the big stink when the Chair insisted the MD sack a journalist critical of the government.

Time to walk away from this one mate. You are done and dusted once again.

As to rightwing presenters Amanda Vanstone is one counter balancing Adams if you like. Michael Duffy had a run but the ratings stank and the list goes on. Now tell me who you think are left wing presenters.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Monday, 9 March 2020 2:04:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SR,

I can see your floundering on this so I won't push too hard.

"The minister ended up instead dictating four appointment out of the six."

Well there are 8 board members appointed. If you're talking about "stacking" the board, that (8) is the relevant number. Even allowing for your 4 (which is wrong, but I can't be bothered battling it out) that still means the board isn't stacked.

"What? This after the big stink when the Chair insisted the MD sack a journalist critical of the government."

Yes and the chair lost. The journalist still works for auntie - but the chair is gone. QED the board has very little power.

"As to rightwing presenters Amanda Vanstone is one counter balancing Adams ...."

I've been very careful to only talk of ABC TV since I know its a standard ploy of ABC apologists to talk about some RINO on late night regional radio as somehow offsetting the presenters of Q&A or 7:30 or The Drum.

So again who are the right leaning presenters to offset the left leaning presenters on the ABC TV market. And who are the right leaning staff oscillating between the Libs and ABC employment. You know, the Barry Cassidy, Maxine McKew types.
Posted by mhaze, Monday, 9 March 2020 5:15:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear mhaze,

Are you really that wilfully ignorant?

The independent panel only gets to recommend 6 positions. Of those 6 the minister inserted himself into the process and dictated 4 of them.

The PM dictated the 7th, the Chair. So that is 5 directly dictated by the government. That is a majority. The MD is then selected by a board primarily made up of Liberal government dictated members. And of course the Chair is a direct appointment by the PM.

That old salt is stacking in anyone's language. You on the right just can't bloody well help yourselves can you. How on earth are you the victims in this?

As to your left/right presenters I'm at a loss as to how you think I'm to make that distinction. Is a belief in AGW an automatic ticket to the left flock? Is the humane treatment of refugees the same? What about concerns about the over reach of the Department of Homeland bloody security?

Are we talking Anning or Hanson territory? Or Abetz and Abbott? Is Trent Zimmerman
still regarded by you as on the right thus a presenter with his political leanings would qualify as right?

Your call.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Monday, 9 March 2020 7:46:19 PM
SR,

"Of those 6 the minister inserted himself into the process and dictated 4 of them."

No the Guardian claimed that he dictated 4. The government disputed that claim. It remained unsupported. That you'd choose to believe it is obvious but the facts aren't so obvious.

As to left leaning presenters, if you can't think of a dozen on ABC TV without trying, then you're much further down the rabbit hole than even I thought.

I'm over playing semantic games. Just as an example: Is Barrie Cassidy of the left?
Posted by mhaze, Tuesday, 10 March 2020 12:45:09 PM
abc reported on Ms Wongs outburst at trying to silence another Labour Senator because she was childless? Thought not! Just fake outrage for months when Tony Abbott pulls a facial expression when Wong's childless friend Ms Gillard goes on about misogyny. You could not make this stuff up. I thought the democrat backing media in the US were bad. Nothing on these ones at the abc.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 10 March 2020 2:43:35 PM
Dear mhaze,

You put; “The government disputed that claim. It remained unsupported.”

It remained unsupported only because the government refused to allow the list of nominees to become public. It was only last year after tortuous FOI requests that is was released .The Government had been claiming it was a cabinet document, but this was ultimately discredited.

Barry Cassidy certainly had connections to the left side of politics just as someone like Chris Uhlmann had a history with the right side. But what of it?

The question surely is whether overt bias was shown. Both received plenty of complaints but very few if any were substantiated.

As to Milne's attempted interference it only came to light because of a disgruntled MD, namely Guthrie.

But you are sitting in your little group think bubble spouting on about the 'left leaning ABC' while there are plenty who think it performs the opposite function. Here is a couple of clips from Friendly Jordies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWXDGGWB3Mw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INZUcj51_tg

He makes the case that the ABC has been cowered into something that no longer does its job because of a hypersensitivity to any charge of bias. I in part agree with him.

The right really don't want it privatised because they have so sewn up the support of virtually all media in Australia that to have the ABC privatised and beholden to large corporations would show just how much of a facade the whole thing is.

You lot have got it so good. Why don't you stop whinging for once and celebrate.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 10 March 2020 5:18:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy