The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Not enough beds > Comments

Not enough beds : Comments

By Peter Baume, published 11/2/2020

There are more old people requiring residential care than there are beds available. So the power rests with the providers of care.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
All over third-world countries, people are eagerly queuing to come to a first-world country to care for an elderly person. For a modest salary, they will be excited and grateful to come and stay with the elderly person in their own home and take excellent and devoted care of them 24x7.

All that is missing are special aged-care visas.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 11 February 2020 11:12:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
All that is missing are special aged-care visas.
Yuyutsu,
What limit on the number of people accompanying a carer ?
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 12 February 2020 9:05:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Individual,

No one would accompany a carer - they come on their own and will have no time for anything else but work. When the person they care for dies, they may either find another client to extend their visa - or leave. People from such countries are more than happy to leave their family behind and send back money for their future and essentials such as health and education, which they otherwise do not have in their home country.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 12 February 2020 9:28:13 AM
Yuyutsu,
You're proposing a perfect example of exploitation. Just because carers aren't from Australia doesn't mean they won't miss their families !
I suggest that young Australians who participated in a National Service would acquire a much healthier mentality than just pursuing the lure of money and, they could do their service in old people's homes.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 12 February 2020 6:27:55 PM
Yuyutsu,

That is a practical and innovative idea - aged care visas for people to come from overseas. Have you raised this with your local federal MP or the Dept of Human Services?

<<People from such countries are more than happy to leave their family behind and send back money for their future and essentials such as health and education, which they otherwise do not have in their home country.>>

Do you have a list of such people who would be available right now to come to Australia to care for the aged?
Posted by OzSpen, Wednesday, 12 February 2020 6:39:47 PM
Dear Individual,

In your terms, millions of people are then pleading "Please exploit me", but would you listen to them or to the PC propaganda? While working away, their children stay with their grandparents, are well fed, receive good medical care when needed and attend school and university where they obtain a good profession that provides them with a bright future. The alternative is for both children and grandparents to starve in the streets and become disfigured or die from every simple and curable disease. Another desperate alternative they have and often take, is to work in the gulf states where their passports are taken away and they are treated horribly as real slaves, like doing roadwork outside in 50C degrees and not being allowed any water on Ramadan.

I am yet to see a young Australian who is willing to stay at an old person's home 24x7 for a few years and be as devoted to them, even if they earn 10 times as much. Surely they too would miss their families, but fortunately it is now easy and nearly free to be in constant touch, including via video calls.

---

Dear Spencer,

«Do you have a list of such people who would be available right now to come to Australia to care for the aged?»

I have a contact, someone who currently works like that in aged-care in another first-world country. In the past they looked into the possibility of doing the same in Australia, but found that the only possible way was to come here on a student-visa to formally learn aged-care (which they are already expert in), pay impossibly exorbitant school-fees during that period when they are only allowed to work that many hours, far from being enough to pay their school-fees and support themselves and their family, then they must apply for migration even while this is not their intention.

If I am told that Australia is willing to give them this visa, then with one phone call I would have my person fill the next plane with their friends, in one hour.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 12 February 2020 7:21:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy