The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How a Territory lost its farming lands in a furtive privatisation rip-off > Comments

How a Territory lost its farming lands in a furtive privatisation rip-off : Comments

By Brendan O'Reilly, published 6/12/2019

Given that profits are to be shared 60:40, Riverview stands to make $139 million.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Why even write this expose' , when you apologise for the criminal culprits at the end!

A bullet would not be wasted on them!

This whole country top to bottom is "Yes Minister" on steroids!

Jacque Lambie is right to describe our political class as children. But with a child there is some excuse!

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 6 December 2019 10:56:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dan. I don't apologise for the culprits. The rural lessees were not at fault. In a democracy they are entitled to lobby for their interests.

The politians are the real culprits because they are supposed to protect the greater interests of all citizens. Instead they sold off public assets for next to nothing.
Posted by Bren, Saturday, 7 December 2019 10:01:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks Bren.

It was an intriguing article, none the less. It all seemed to fall into an anti climax heap at the end. Maybe that's an expression of your frustration.

The incompetence of politicians is breathtaking. So what short sighted thinking drove these outcomes?

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Saturday, 7 December 2019 11:34:03 AM
The disappointing thing about this entire episode is the public apathy. No journalists or public figures tave taken the politicians responsible to account. It was clearly known that a huge windfall was being conferred on rural lessees at taxpayers expense, yet the ripoff went ahead with minimal dissent. There should have been outrage, and heads should have rolled.

I think the public actually expects governments to waste money, which is why taxpayers don't react. Once money and resources are in public hands, people no longer view them as their own. Politicians definitely have a different standard of governance for public money compared with their own.

A further issue is that all this has taken place at a time when the ACT Government stands accused by a former Chief Minister of charging monopoly prices for housing blocks, thereby ripping-off homebuyers.
Posted by Bren, Saturday, 7 December 2019 2:25:52 PM
Bren, is there any word on the transactions, negotiations, or those involved.
I'm especially interested in which govt members benefited financially by this deal.
I know they go to great lengths these days, to hide the money trails, but knowing how these scumbags operate, they are only in politics for the money, and I don't mean the huge amounts (to us) they get as pay, which to them is just a token amount to make them look charitable and community conscious.
They would have you believe they do it out of regard for the people and not for personal gains.
Yeah, right!
Posted by ALTRAV, Saturday, 7 December 2019 8:45:10 PM
ALTRAV
There is no evidence that corruption was involved. It was simply a pork barrel. I suspect that some politicians did not realise the full extent of what they were giving away but key ministers of several successive governments (advised by the bureaucracy)must have known.
Posted by Bren, Sunday, 8 December 2019 1:19:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy