The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Queensland needs an inquiry into police domestic violence mindset > Comments

Queensland needs an inquiry into police domestic violence mindset : Comments

By Jennifer Hetherington, published 31/10/2019

The inadequate Punchard sentence has illustrated the appalling reality that too often the charges against the perpetrators of domestic violence do not reflect the seriousness of their crimes.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Hear, hear and well said! Agree with all that you've proposed.

If the same level of violence was perpetrated on any uniformed officer, there'd be an outraged outcry, you could hear back of Burke!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 31 October 2019 9:05:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Anna needs to get things into context! And send the police out after domestic violence as a first-order priority that is at least more important than shutting up and silencing the climate change rebels.

One needs to look very hard at what her and her government's priorities really are!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 31 October 2019 9:10:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Constable Punchard is a disgrace to the Queensland Police Force. A coward, a bully and a betrayer of his duty to uphold the law and protect the community. His superiors, who had to be shamed and cajoled into taking serious action against him are arguably a worse problem.
Posted by JBSH, Thursday, 31 October 2019 9:25:55 AM
The first and primary question is, why do men increasingly believe they have a right to physically attack a women, wife or not?

In most situations, men believe this to be wrong. At what point in the downward slide, does their thinking change and why?
Seems to me, that should be the starting point towards analysing outcomes of DV.

Another point not raised in this article, is the increasing incidence of perpetrators of DV being drawn from the sibling base of the family.
Boys in single parent households are raised under extreme conditions of parental stress. Often relegated to insignificance by a mothers need for company and her choice of new partners; boys are pushed further into the background.

I've witnessed this situation with girls too, but it's usually the male child given over to frustration and a need to fight back, often focused on the mother as a target.

As the author points out correctly, drugs are a major contributing factor to violence.
And the drug culture is a strong influence on frustrated youth. Drugs are cheap and readily available. Cigarettes were once a legally available calming influence for such youth, but are now priced out of reach. The devil drugs have quickly filled the void.

One youth I've been dealing with from this influence, and just released from juvenile custody, constrained for three months in solitary confinement, and often subdued by a team of guards in protective riot gear as the only counter to his violence. A fifteen yo.

Alarmingly, released into his mothers custody to deal with future outcomes. The same mother refused an AVO at the desk of the local police station, attempting to protect herself and siblings from his violence.
The same mother today, attends a court appearance attempting to overturn a legal requirement which forces her to travel six hours each way for parental visits to her ex partner now serving five years in Bathurst jail for attempting to murder her and her children.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 31 October 2019 12:05:42 PM
What is this person most concerned about? Domestic violence or a police officer's misuse of police records?

The police officer was dealt with adequately, and he hasn't committed domestic violence. He does NOT represent "the mindset of the Queensland Police Service toward domestic violence victims". The police commissioner is the one to deal with any wrongdoings by his officers There is nothing the Qld government 'must' do
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 31 October 2019 1:31:49 PM
Maybe the way to fix domestic violence is to completely ban all funding and sympathy to it as well as any mention of it.

BANNED.

I mean seriously if you were banned from complaining in the first place, maybe you'd think twice about choosing the amphetamine and steroid using alpha-male bad-boy that eventually beats you up?
Maybe you'd just end these relationships and walk before it becomes a power struggle, (or choose more carefully to begin with) rather than trying to manipulate and poke the bear whom isn't surrendering himself completely to your baggaged emotional needs and shortcomings?
- And which said emotional needs and shortcomings are likely also result of your previous dabblings with bad-boy alpha-males -

Maybe you wouldn't have so much freedom to choose whoever you want then blame the entire species because you chose badly.
Maybe you'd learn to take responsibility for your own choices instead of claiming victimhood and resorting to blame.

OR DON'T DO THAT.

Keep banging on about these tragic deaths;
Because all that does is advertise that the Rosy Batty way of dealing with the issue, is just plain batty;
i.e. - That it just isn't working at all.

And maybe some mums should probably also take a look at the way they talk down to and disrespect their young boys, and maybe they wouldn't grow up with such contempt towards women.

Honestly I just don't care bout this issue anymore.
I've said my piece on the forum numerous times if you want to work towards solutions, but all we ever get is this same cracked record from those aligned with the man haters.

I've really got to wonder about this woman's motives.
Does she really care about women?
Or does she wish to promote herself and capitalise on divorce settlements?
- i.e. the misfortune of others?

She does have conflicting interests being a divorce laywer.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 1 November 2019 7:53:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy