The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Greta Thunberg and Andrew Bolt: two sides of the same coin > Comments

Greta Thunberg and Andrew Bolt: two sides of the same coin : Comments

By Eric Claus, published 25/10/2019

The first technique is the complete rejection of the idea that their opponents might have anything meaningful to say.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
ericc, if you believe the current BOM of other authorities current temperatures, after they have tortured the hell out of the official record with their homogenisation processes, I have a very attractive bridge I'd like to sell you.

Only a simpleton, or a fellow traveler could possibly believe the rubbish we are daily bombarded with.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 26 October 2019 9:40:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
All, this is the crux of the matter as I believe was expressed by the
Turku University group. My understanding of their paper I emphases.

The IPCC models do not take account in their models of the effect of clouds.
This left a greater portion of warming allocated to CO2.
Turku's calculation allocated only 0.1c increase in warming caused by CO2.
The rest of the warming is allocated to heating by less cloud and heat
not reflected back out to space.
Their calculation shows the historical warm periods occur at times of
low cloud and high sun & sunspot activity.

Some years back I remember that a major argument was how sensitive is
temperature to the to the maount of co2. Many still argue that the
amount of co2 cannot raise the temperature that much.
The above might well be the explanation.
Posted by Bazz, Saturday, 26 October 2019 10:02:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
GrahamY – I’m sorry I didn’t make myself clear. The quote from the American Chemical Society reflects the current conditions in the atmosphere. Conditions which change very gradually, over thousands of years. The IPCC recognises that at times over millions of years of history factors like radiation from the sun, volcanic activity, rock weathering, methane and other chemicals in the atmosphere have been dominant in the impacts on temperature. The IPCC includes the work of Dana Royer and Robert Berner in several of its publications. I’m sorry I wasn’t clear. I agree with you that there are several factors that impact global temperature not just CO2 and when considering what the global temperature was then or is going to be in the future, all those factors must be considered.

The IPCC says that they control for the conditions other than CO2 in their models to make the models relevant to the next 100 years. They also incorporate how water vapour will be impacted based on the temperatures and do their best to model how clouds affect the feedback of radiation.

I include quotes and references because I did not do the first principles work myself. I am referring to the work of others, so I include the references from sources I consider viable. That way the original source can be evaluated by my readers to determine if it is accurate.
Posted by ericc, Saturday, 26 October 2019 11:11:42 PM
First and most important point is people adding hyperlinks to other websites need to delete the ‘s’ from the https component otherwise it won’t hyperlink.

Second, can anyone here or anywhere please tell me which is supposed to be the correct global mean average temperature and to what degree exceeding or not is within acceptable habitable standards for us poor proles to thrive.

Despite claims to the contrary, the IPCC do not model natural variability when modelling supposed anthropogenic impacts on climate change, they are modelled separately, this is unprecedented and unscientific.

Additionally, the absorption of, and subsequent release of co2 by the oceans and seas lies at the heart of the resultant temperature changes, if the tiny changes are measurable at all.

Currently so-called ‘Climate Change’ is a political issue, not scientific. There is no consensus in science, or at least there shouldn’t be?

Current climate science does not stack up in favour of anywhere near the panic riddled headlines and the rhetoric of politicians and their minions. There are plenty of expert climate scientists who clearly don’t support the new dogma, unfortunately they get little to no airtime or exposure by the current crop of kool aid swallowing mass media.

Galen
Posted by Galen, Sunday, 27 October 2019 12:33:24 AM
CO2 is a greenhouse gas that promotes plant growth, i.e. the greenhouse effect!

It can and does trap radiation in the infrared side of the spectrum. As it improves and promotes plant growth like fertilizer, it also promotes their normal aspiration. Their ability to draw up available moisture and add it to the atmosphere.

Given what occurs on a cloudy winter night and when the air is dry, we know that clouds are also a thermal blanket. So, more luxuriant plant life, CO2 promoted, more moisture aspirated into the atmosphere!

And basic high school science!

It's called as a total CO2 promoted plant life and with that very increase, accelerated moisture aspiration! The two things not unrelated, but both related and part of the cause and effect phenomena, we call climate change.

Climate change and unprecedented heatwaves and driest hottest droughts that simply shouldn't be happening now! Given we have been in a normal cyclical waning phase of the sun (since the mid-seventies) which should have seen the joint cooling and the ice everywhere advancing! And not what we're having now!

If like Andy Hasbeen and cohort, you cannot, will not see the evidence of your own eyes! It's because you buried your heads in some, warm and comfortable space or are completely bereft of normal human empathy!?

As for Greta being intellectually disabled? So far away from the truth as to be completely risible! Einstein and dozens of other historical geniuses also had Asbergers as do I!

So why don't all you geniuses start bagging and destroying (intellectually disabled) Einstien's theories with the massive power of your huge minds! Given he and Greta both have/had Asbergers!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Sunday, 27 October 2019 8:04:25 AM
Foxy sweetheart, you're wasting your time and you're being tag teamed by our resident deniers! And just to use up your allowed quota of posts!

Nothing you say and no amount of credible evidence will change those views, not changed by the visible evidence of their own eyes!

If 97% of bona fide, climate scientist have reached consensus on climate change and that we've for the most part caused it! As have a reported 94% of Ozzie, you know, the rational ones!

Given that's so? Then why the resistance to just doing something about it and at the same time, turbocharging our economy! Plus creating an energy template other nations will have no choice but emulate!

It seems some folk are able to put their own narrow pecuniary interests above all else including the very survival of their own Grandkids!

Climate change can be ameliorated and with the proposed solutions and quite massive recycling and lots of changed farming practice! And as we adjust, lots of folks will make a shipload of money, if that's their gig or important.

I just wish we had A Leader somewhere with the testicular fortitude compassion and a moral compass that's still working, to just get on and do something/row the boat!

Cheers, Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Sunday, 27 October 2019 11:35:31 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy