The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Religious wars > Comments

Religious wars : Comments

By Peter Bowden, published 28/2/2019

Cardinal George Pell has been found guilty. Frank Brennan, a Jesuit priest, has raised the question of whether the jury reached the correct verdict.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
What now needs to be asked is - was the verdict
unreasonable? Did the jury deliver a verdict that
was not supported by evidence?

These are questions for the Appeal Court.
This case needs to go through the proper legal
process. We can only hope that the complainant can
find some peace, and is able to get on with his life
whichever way the appeal goes.

This is such a sad, sad, and controversial case -
if the appeal wins it will send an incredibly
damaging message to survivors who are thinking about
coming forward in these cases. And if it fails -
believers may truly wonder if Cardinal Pell is the
unwitting victim of a wounded nation in search of
a scapegoat.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 1 March 2019 12:36:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Foxy,

«if the appeal wins it will send an incredibly damaging message to survivors who are thinking about coming forward in these cases.»

Some victims may not like it if the appeal wins, but it will still end up to their advantage. Revenge does nothing good.

It will also be of advantage for the jurors and the judge who will not have to face the awful karma for throwing someone in jail.

It will also be of advantage for ordinary Australians because it will reduce our anxiety (thus also improve our health) about being incarcerated at random for beings at the wrong place at the wrong time.

It will also be of advantage for taxpayers, not having to pay for Pell's incarceration.

The only person who will not be advantaged, is George Pell, if indeed he did what he did, for he will need to face even harsher consequences once he leaves his old body to stand before God.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 1 March 2019 1:03:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Yuyutsu,

Thank You. You always see so many different
angles to any given situation and you give us
much to think about.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 1 March 2019 1:52:40 PM
'This is such a sad, sad, and controversial case -
if the appeal wins it will send an incredibly
damaging message to survivors who are thinking about
coming forward in these cases. And if it fails -
believers may truly wonder if Cardinal Pell is the
unwitting victim of a wounded nation in search of
a scapegoat.'

I agree to some extent Foxy however if not proved beyond doubt it does damage to everyone. It seems we have learn't nothing from Lindy Chamberlain. Everyone agrees that people found guilty beyond reasonable doubt for these sorts of crime deserve severe punishment. I am not so convinced that everyone agrees that the crime must be proven beyond reasonable doubt. Bitter irrational people spit out so much hatred like those outside the court that they are incapable of being reasonable. I have little time for the Catholic church however can not accept guilt by association. It appears this has played a big role.
Posted by runner, Friday, 1 March 2019 2:45:24 PM
What would be sad would be a judicial process where people could be convicted because they weren't liked, represented an institution that wasn't liked, or because of things written about them.

There is a judicial process that is yet to be completed. I will be interested to see what the judges hearing the appeal make of the case against George Pell and the appropriateness of the prosecution.
Posted by Fester, Friday, 1 March 2019 3:07:23 PM
I've been an atheist all my life (my parents were Communists, the only working-class members of a working-class branch, Chullora Railway Works, my mum sold Tribunes to all the middle-class members of the branch, people like Dorothy Hewett - now there's someone who knew all about sexual exploitation), and I've never liked Pell - that unctuous, haughty, holier-than-thou act repulsed me.

But I don't know how he-said-only evidence can convict anyone. Yes, maybe it's the sort of case where no other 'evidence' would be available, or it's all in camera, and maybe he's so cunning, but still. Maybe there's a lot more to it, but I can't see how anyone can be convicted on one person's assertions alone.

I suppose we'll see when the appeal is heard.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 1 March 2019 3:24:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy